Is Duke Roufus a bad trainer?

blaseblah

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
His two biggest fighters are Woodley and Pettis and they both have the serious flaw of backing up to the cage and going into a defensive shell when pressured. They have been figured out and Roufus hasn't been able to train them out of their deficiencies. You can also add on Ben Askren, who never got better at striking during his time there. And CM Punk, who spent years there and never learned how to throw a proper punch. Is the problem the training at Roufusport or that the fighters just can't get better?

Also interesting to note is that both Pettis and Woodley beat Wonderboy, likely because he is not a pressure fighter and let them fight at their own pace and get comfortable.

Think he is a good coach but all his top guy are over the hill except Felder.

I think theres better coaches out there though and especially striking based ones. I think Hooft, Mendez, and few others are better striking coaches
Isn't striking supposed to be Duke's specialty though? What grappling credentials or expertise does he have?

He sent CM Punk out there cause he felt like Punk was ready so it isn't surprising.

Duke mismanaged/trained Pettis's career too

Didn't pettis quit against Poirier in the same manner as Woodley did last night?

Roufus is a solid kickboxing coach. Nothing more though. You won't learn a very good defense, footwork or complex striking there. I'd say behind Henri Hooft.
He also is a bit punch drunk, because he sparred into his late 40s.

1. Woodley trained at ATT(several places) and had several known striking coaches.
Later in his career he went to Roufus and didn't progress further there.

2. Pettis went to Roufus when he was 18, had 3rd degree black belt in TKD and had some boxing and wrestling. So you could give Roufus props for making him champ, given Pettis was pretty young.

Isn't striking supposed to be Duke's specialty though? What grappling credentials or expertise does he have?

Striking is definitely his main thing. They have some separate grappling coaches. But Duke still takeson the role of overall head coach. So his input is the most important for Roufusport fighters.

His two biggest fighters are Woodley and Pettis and they both have the serious flaw of backing up to the cage and going into a defensive shell when pressured. They have been figured out and Roufus hasn't been able to train them out of their deficiencies. You can also add on Ben Askren, who never got better at striking during his time there. And CM Punk, who spent years there and never learned how to throw a proper punch. Is the problem the training at Roufusport or that the fighters just can't get better?

Also interesting to note is that both Pettis and Woodley beat Wonderboy, likely because he is not a pressure fighter and let them fight at their own pace and get comfortable.

He's certainly overrated. 2 huge flaws that he has never managed to iron out of his fighters.

I always believed in this tbh. I don't buy Roufus at all. But this doesn't mean that Tyron doesn't lack heart. Those are separated things.

He really wanted to see Pubk get that headkick KO, feel like his confidence slipped after that didn’t happen tbh.

Back