What was the purpose of Conor’s “fight” with Cerrone

Marko Polo

Thank you Jurgen
@Black
Reaction score
I was under the impression that Cerrone was fed to Conor to sort of remind the fans how good Conor is and set him up for a few massive ppv’s against legit competition. Its looking more and more like that isn’t the case. It’s not like Mcgregor needs/needed the pay day, so I can’t really figure out why that fight took place. He came in, destroyed Cerrone and that was it. It’s as if he faced more of a challenge than anticipated, but judging by the fight there was zero challenge.

Use the win to boost him in LW and if he loses load up the 'tree times me size' and keep his lw ranking. He also wouldnt have to worry abiut the weight cut against a guy who can also fight at lw.

I figured it was just so his record wouldn't end in an L

What was the point of the "fight" with Justin Gaethje 4 months prior?

Cerrone was still considered to be good during both fights. Now after getting absolutely embarrassed by McGregor at 170 nonetheless, getting beaten by Pettis at 170, and only reaching a draw with Price due to the fact a referee miraculously took away a point from eye pokes...

Yeah it's clear he's washed. But like another thread I just read this is some thinly veiled attempt to retroactively shit on the win and McGregor. I don't think that's accurate. It was a good style match for McGregor and Cerrone was by no means elite at the time, but he was considered top 10 easily. Also why did it happen? Obviously because Cash Cow Conor was coming off like a 2 year layoff, he needed to fight someone.

They tried to give Conor his confidence back after Khabib ragdolled him, dropped him, and forced Conor to ask the ref to save his life.

Edit: They failed at it

Lets get real here. Conor is a good fighter, I knock the guy all time but there is no doubt the guy can bang. The truth is his popularity has surpassed his fighting ability. There are a lot of guys at lw that can beat Conor. He knows it and the UFC knows it. Hence the reason we got the Cowboy fight. Big name, easy win, Conor keeps face...

To get Conor a win, they knew Conor is a very fast starter, and Cerrone is the worst starter in fights ever, the first 2 minutes of every fight. Great style fight for Conor

Apart from Cerrone being the worst starter on the roster, he is old and slowed down a lot. If you watch Cerrone from WEC days you can see how much slower he is now.

Cerrone was worked in as a Jobber to the stars

I love dogs but that gif on you AV is annoying. Never felt the need to strangle a dog
579296.jpg
579296.jpg
579296.jpg
579296.jpg
579296.jpg

It showed again how he's one of the greatest of all time

They were banking on Tony beating Khabib and that was Conor's immediate shot.

Lets get real here. Conor is a good fighter, I knock the guy all time but there is no doubt the guy can bang. The truth is his popularity has surpassed his fighting ability. There are a lot of guys at lw that can beat Conor. He knows it and the UFC knows it. Hence the reason we got the Cowboy fight. Big name, easy win, Conor keeps face...

Exactly right, most truthful post.

UFC are stretching his popularity as much as they can before fans realise he was never as good as UFC made him out to be.

Theres a reason Khabib waited a long time to fight Conor, they knew Khabib was a nightmare for Conor, theres a reason Conor skipped most of the top 10 for a title shot with Aldo at FW. He's been looked after quite abit.

Back