Can blocked punches also cause brain damage?

GoatArtemLobov

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Even in boxing with 8 oz gloves, I think that if you block a punch from Prime Tyson it might rattle you.
Now how is it in mma? I'd guess it would be even worse, as gloves are smaller.
Even if blocked, a punch from Ngannou might destroy some brain cells Imo

Well surely where the punch lands makes all the difference?

On the gloves might hurt the wrists but connection placement makes all the difference to head trauma.

38FB290F-2D04-4D3F-9EBD-B89BE5DDA6BC.gif

Nah this looks nice and healthy. Like a massage

Your head (and thus brain) still moves when blocking a hit with a high guard, so yes, it'll still give you brain damage, although it's obviously much less worse than absorbing the same shot without any sort of block in between.

On the gloves might hurt the wrists but connection placement makes all the difference to head trauma.
Yeah but if your hands/forearms are glued to your head and you take hard punches or kicks there, I don't think the accumulation is healthy for the brain.

If it makes your head move YES

(your brain rattles inside your skull)

Football players get CTE despite wearing helmets specifically designed to protect them, so I'm guessing blocked punches do, indeed, cause damage to fighters' brains.

I’d be more worried about arm damage if I wash Costa. He bas beautiful arms.

Prime Tyson? Really dude?

RJJ is scared of blocking 50yr old Tyson punches

<Deported1>

Yes this is why footwork and head movement are a thing. Otherwise you could wrap your arms around your face and fight shane carwin with no concern.

You can't get brain damage from an automobile accident

You know, because of the cars cushioning the blow

Doesn’t make a difference. Does a blocked punch cause more impact than a soccer header? I would think so. Studies showed that too many headers were giving soccer players CTE. Youth soccer now limits the amount kids can do per day. The study came about because they were finding CTE in high school football lineman and soccer players with no diagnosed concussions. Subconcussive impacts over time cause the same inflammation and build up of Tau proteins that causes CTE. I’ve been saying this for years. You don’t need to be brutally knocked out to get CTE.

“Repetitive subconcussive head impacts associated with sparring resulted in acute and transient brain changes similar to those previously reported in soccer heading, providing convergent evidence that sport-related head impacts produce a GABAergic response.(affects GABA neurotransmitter) These acute changes in brain health are reminiscent of effects seen following brain injury, and suggest a potential mechanism underlying the damaging long-term effects of routine repetitive head impacts in sport.”
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnhum.2019.00294/full

Back