What will DC and Stipe's game plans be for their trilogy fight?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I think DC will completely change his up from their rematch. Apparently when DC was getting lit up his corner kept yelling for him to go for the TD but DC kept it standing and got beat. So, apparently his game plan was to mix up his wrestling and striking but DC didn't listen. Common case for wrestlers who have decent striking and fall in love with their striking and forget about their wrestling base.

I think DC's game plan will be same as his game plan in his 2nd fight with Stipe which was mix up his wrestling and striking but this time he will actually follow it. I believe they said Khabib is another fighter who doesn't always listen to his corner, he's just been lucky enough to not lose do to that. Even if DC doesn't keep Stipe down for long on a takedown if he wears him out, gets a few punches in he does a few things, tires Stipe out, makes him worried about the takedown which makes DC's striking even more effective, and puts points on the board for DC.

Stipe is mostly a striker so I see him attempting to keep the fight standing and make it a striking match where he can attempt to land those vicious body shots and eventually head shots to put DC down. He could try kicks but those always lead him open to a takedown against a wrestler like DC. I could see Stipe attempt some takedowns to confuse DC and take him off his game but we'll see.

Bust out grills and see who can cook the best steak in the most ridiculous outfit.

DC gonna wrestle so he cant get punched in the body.

Stipe gonna punch DC in the stomach.

So takedown attempt, body shot, body shot, takedown attempt. And so on.

Hard to keep your cardio up while taking body shots

Which is why DC would utilize his wrestling and put Stipe on his back.

Hard to throw effective body strikes when you are on your back taking punches to the face.

I think DC will completely change his up from their rematch. Apparently when DC was getting lit up his corner kept yelling for him to go for the TD but DC kept it standing and got beat. So, apparently his game plan was to mix up his wrestling and striking but DC didn't listen. Common case for wrestlers who have decent striking and fall in love with their striking and forget about their wrestling base.

I think DC's game plan will be same as his game plan in his 2nd fight with Stipe which was mix up his wrestling and striking but this time he will actually follow it. I believe they said Khabib is another fighter who doesn't always listen to his corner, he's just been lucky enough to not lose do to that. Even if DC doesn't keep Stipe down for long on a takedown if he wears him out, gets a few punches in he does a few things, tires Stipe out, makes him worried about the takedown which makes DC's striking even more effective, and puts points on the board for DC.

Stipe is mostly a striker so I see him attempting to keep the fight standing and make it a striking match where he can attempt to land those vicious body shots and eventually head shots to put DC down. He could try kicks but those always lead him open to a takedown against a wrestler like DC. I could see Stipe attempt some takedowns to confuse DC and take him off his game but we'll see.

I'd say you're pretty much spot on with this analysis.

Yes I think Cormier *expects* it to go 5 rounds. In the first 2 rounds I think Cormier will do what Khabib does and just go for a fairly fast takedown and keep going with that and I think DC wants to spend the maximum time on the ground wrestling Stipe for 2 full rounds (if he can). I think once Stipe tires (Assuming he does, and assuming he doesn't clip DC) then Cormier might pepper him with shots or whatever later in the fight.

But I do expect to see this fight on the mat a LOT more than the last fight. That's DC's world and I'n quite sure he is very confident that he can win that way. The danger for DC is getting caught with body shots or head shots in the standup. So....he is just going to try to hard to avoid that but getting Miocic on the ground, and that eliminates Stipe's boxing game more or less.

Whether he CAN takedown Miocic repeatedly and keep him there.... we shall see.

My view is that DC absolutely will modify his gameplan for this fight as I firmly believe he is more strategic and analytical than Stipe and I think Stipe will not change his gameplan at all. His gameplan is always "punch opponent in head as early as possible and keep connecting til they fall". I suspect that Stipe will not have an answer for Cormier dragging him down again and again. I just don't think Miocic's camp thinks through things as thoroughly as Cormier's camp.

My pick on the result is : DC by Unanimous Decision.
It might be quite a long grind, and I don't think the fight will be "pretty", it'll be a grind (if DC gets his way).

I'd say you're pretty much spot on with this analysis.

Yes I think Cormier *expects* it to go 5 rounds. In the first 2 rounds I think Cormier will do what Khabib does and just go for a fairly fast takedown and keep going with that and I think DC wants to spend the maximum time on the ground wrestling Stipe for 2 full rounds (if he can). I think once Stipe tires (Assuming he does, and assuming he doesn't clip DC) then Cormier might pepper him with shots or whatever later in the fight.

But I do expect to see this fight on the mat a LOT more than the last fight. That's DC's world and I'n quite sure he is very confident that he can win that way. The danger for DC is getting caught with body shots or head shots in the standup. So....he is just going to try to hard to avoid that but getting Miocic on the ground, and that eliminates Stipe's boxing game more or less.

Whether he CAN takedown Miocic repeatedly and keep him there.... we shall see.

My view is that DC absolutely will modify his gameplan for this fight as I firmly believe he is more strategic and analytical than Stipe and I think Stipe will not change his gameplan at all. His gameplan is always "punch opponent in head as early as possible and keep connecting til they fall". I suspect that Stipe will not have an answer for Cormier dragging him down again and again. I just don't think Miocic's camp thinks through things as thoroughly as Cormier's camp.

My pick on the result is : DC by Unanimous Decision.
It might be quite a long grind, and I don't think the fight will be "pretty", it'll be a grind (if DC gets his way).

Both appear to already be lighter and in better shape than their last fight so they both maybe expecting it to go 5 rounds and or preparing for wrestling whether offensively or defensively.

Which is why DC would utilize his wrestling and put Stipe on his back.

Hard to throw effective body strikes when you are on your back taking punches to the face.
history shows us DC aint gonna hold stipe down and land punches to his face

history shows us DC aint gonna hold stipe down and land punches to his face

If DC can waste time putting Stipe on his back for a short time and then clinching and close fighting he'll avoid the body shots and headshots and either win by points or land the big one and win by KO/TKO again.

If DC can waste time putting Stipe on his back for a short time and then clinching and close fighting he'll avoid the body shots and headshots and either win by points or land the big one and win by KO/TKO again.
Hes not winning on points. He couldnt do it in the second fight, he wont this time. remember, stipe won the third round and DC was fading. Stipe was on his way to a decision win regardless.

wrestling stipe will gas him out quicker, just like the second fight.

I really want Stipe to win but i am afraid you are right. DC did not follow his corners advice and you could see the look of arrogance on his face. DC lost the fight because his ego got a hold of him.

i really like both these guys but favor Stipe as a human being but DC is going to win if he follows the game plan unless Stipe pulls something out we have not seen.

edit- unless the reason DC did not wrestle was because of cardio but it looked to me like pride.

The way the early wrestling went for me seems to suggest Stipe would be able to largely nullify Cormier though or at least force him to work very hard for the takedowns. DC's isn't THAT deadly on the ground either so I'm not sure he gains a great deal getting Stipe down if he has to expend a lot of energy.

I suspect what you might see is DC pushing harder in the rematch standing, knowing that he probably only has 3 rounds of good cardio so trying to get inside more and make the fight a bit sloppier and potentially catch Stipe off balance again.

You'd hope as well he will have been working on a good counter to those bodyshots so if Stipe starts to spam the same punch earlier in the match he has a response.

Hoping for a clean fight this time, because a clean fight wouldn't favor DC at all. He relies on dirty tactics to make it competitive, we all know if the fight is clean he loses easily.

Another divine justice incoming. DC is going to be KTFO.

Hes not winning on points. He couldnt do it in the second fight, he wont this time. remember, stipe won the third round and DC was fading. Stipe was on his way to a decision win regardless.

wrestling stipe will gas him out quicker, just like the second fight.

DC gassed in their 2nd fight because Stipe's bodyshots were so effective and took his cardio.

DC lost because he chose to stand and bang with Stipe and taking bodyshots sapped his cardio, he's already coming in considerably leaner this fight so I expect him to have planned on having better cardio and wrestling.

DC gassed in their 2nd fight because Stipe's bodyshots were so effective and took his cardio.

DC lost because he chose to stand and bang with Stipe and taking bodyshots sapped his cardio, he's already coming in considerably leaner this fight so I expect him to have planned on having better cardio and wrestling.
DC is not considerably leaner, hes straight up fat.

trying to wrestle stipe isnt going to work out for him.

Miopic still can't see from the previous two fights

DC's plan is to blind him even further then rush in with cheap shots

I think they're going to try to beat each other.

But that's just conjecture on my part.

Im rooting for Stipe but when I immagine it I see GNP followed by sub by DC.

Back