How would you define a technical brawler?

Bangkok ready d1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Personaly i would define it as a guy who likes to trow heavy leather from close distances and doesn't uses a lot of jabs, but is calculated at the power shots he trowns and tries to defend weel against his oponents attacks ( especially by shelling himself ) justin gaethje ( the version we have now ) is the best example of a technical brawler in my opinion. And you? What are some technical brawlers in the ufc and how do you define it?

Some technical brawlers imo are (some are higher level and some are lower)

Mike perry
Robert whittaker
Justin gaetje
Wanderlei Silva
Chris leben

I’d say that Matt Brown fits into that category. Wasn’t he introduce by Buffer as a technical brawler? That could have been somebody else though.
His fighting background was announced as a technical brawler by buffer

Some technical brawlers imo are (some are higher level and some are lower)

Mike perry
Robert whittaker
Justin gaetje
Wanderlei Silva
Chris leben
I woudn't put whittaker as a brawler at all, to me he's more of a traditional kickboxer with a karate influenced style, he's agressive its true not much of a counter puncher but he does uses a lot of jabs, kicks a lot and doesn't always work in the short range

gaethje. I don't like watching him fight.

He's gotten more technical over time but he's a techinical brawler. He's not an IQ guy. He's a guy with great coaching and tries to listen what they tell him to do.

I woudn't put whittaker as a brawler at all, to me he's more of a traditional kickboxer with a karate influenced style, he's agressive its true not much of a counter puncher but he does uses a lot of jabs, kicks a lot and doesn't always work in the short range
I actually think Rob is the best out of all the others on the list, and while it's true that he is closer to being just a straight up tactician and not primarily a brawler, we've seen that he can be lured into brawls like what happened with yoel Romero

He's gotten more technical over time but he's a techinical brawler. He's not an IQ guy. He's a guy with great coaching and tries to listen what they tell him to do.

How do you not like watching Justin fight? I assume you prefer crotch sniffing?

How do you not like watching Justin fight? I assume you prefer crotch sniffing?
I don't like brawling. I'm not a fan of it.

I prefer clean technical striking if I had to watch striking. I don't like muck it up fests. I like chess matches.

Conor I like watching him strike. What he did to alvarez was masterful.

Gaethje- alavarez, nah no thanks

Guys like Conor, Izzy, Poirier, zabit, max holloway etc are more entertaining strikers to me

Last edited:
The. Black. Beast. People were saying how this guy would lose to Tank Abbot at the beginning.

I think fans go crazy over knockouts and stuff but I dont particularly find knockouts exciting in its own right. Ngannou I don't find too exciting because he isn't a technical striker. He's a big dude with knockout power.

Guys like that get exposed in mma sooner than later

I don't hate, just state. In boxing I prefer the same thing although I always give Wilder a pass but generally I like sound technical boxing with display of high fight IQ without the uneeded carnage added on to it

He's becoming more and more technical it seems...and he still brawls. He's my current best answer.

He's becoming more and more technical it seems...and he still brawls. He's my current best answer.
I know but I'm still not a fan of it. Never been a fan of him as a fighter when he entered the UFC even with his knockouts.

Just because I dont like his style doesn't mean I don't respect him. I do. I just don't like his style of fighting from back then even to now. Just not something I find entertaining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back