Can Cormier wrestle for 5 rounds?

Fatback96

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Daniel Cormier- “I love fighting at the APEX. That old leg is gonna be right in front of me to grab. I’ll be like Curtis Blaydes. If you want to see a 25-minute stand-up fight, that’s not what you’re getting. I hope Stipe has his wrestling shoes, because with the small cage, single-leg, single-leg, single-leg, single-leg, wrestling. It is what it is. Sorry.”
Source: https://www.mmamania.com/2020/6/23/...des-abandon-striking-stipe-miocic-trilogy-mma

Can DC wrestle for 5 rounds? Will he even try to?

IMO I think this is a bad idea. His cardio has never been his strong suit, and wrestling is very taxing on cardio. DC is definitely a better wrestler than Stipe, but I think he should save the wrestling for the last few rounds.

If he can land some good shots from the top, he might not need to. He took Stipe down with ease when he tried

He can but he isn't going to wrestle for five rounds. Especially if he sees an opening to get a KO or TKO like in their first fight.

Nope. He was basically gassed by the end of the 2nd round and that was with everything going his way in the fight. If Stipe can defend the first takedown and work the body more to start the fight it's going to be a long night for DC IMO. Also don't forget DC was probably walking around 270ish before fight camp so a lot of this camp is just him getting down to fight weight.

no, i don't think he can. i think stipe might do some wrestling of his own, and tire cormier even faster than the last fight.

No. He’s going to try to mix it up in each round. Probably shoot for the takedown at the end of each round

I don't buy the narrative that DC doesn't have good cardio. He's always been able to keep up a good pace and maintain his cardio, despite the way he looks. And he's wrestled his entire life, he can do it without burning himself out. With that said, he is 41 now and it's reasonable to think that maybe his cardio won't be what it once was.

I don't agree that he should wait until the late rounds to wrestle. He should wrestle early when he is fresh, secure the first 2-3 rounds if he can and wear down Stipe. He can likely win a decision with a grapple heavy gameplan.

He's gone into the later rounds quite a few times to be fair, not saying with a completely wrestle based game plan though.

He's got past the 3rd round 4 times in his career.
1x Decision Loss to Jon Jones
1x Decision Win against Josh Barnett in the Strikeforce HW Grand Prix Final
1x Split-Decision Win against Gustafsson
1x TKO Loss against Stipe in the 4th round.

Stipe has gone past the 3rd round 4 times too
1x Decision Loss to JDS
1x TKO Win in the 5th round against Mark Hunt
1x Unanimous Decision against Francis Ngannou
1x TKO Win against Cormier.

Seems Stipe probably edges the likeness on a later round finish or a decision win with those fights in mind, obviously anything can happen though.

Last edited:
Cormier is on the other side of 40. There aren't too many fighters that can maintain a pace at that age unless they are juicing (Werdum...). I don't think Cormier is using steroids so his cardio is definitely going to be less than it was.

In fact I think there are only a couple of guys on the roster over 40, Romero (who has shit cardio), DC, Anderson Silva (who is irrelevant at this point) and Oleynik.

Stipe has clearly changed up his training as evidenced by coming in 10 pounds lighter than ever in his last fight with Cormier.

Daniel Cormier- “I love fighting at the APEX. That old leg is gonna be right in front of me to grab. I’ll be like Curtis Blaydes. If you want to see a 25-minute stand-up fight, that’s not what you’re getting. I hope Stipe has his wrestling shoes, because with the small cage, single-leg, single-leg, single-leg, single-leg, wrestling. It is what it is. Sorry.”
Source: https://www.mmamania.com/2020/6/23/...des-abandon-striking-stipe-miocic-trilogy-mma

IMO I think this is a bad idea. His cardio has never been his strong suit, and wrestling is very taxing on cardio. DC is definitely a better wrestler than Stipe, but I think he should save the wrestling for the last few rounds.
Oh God not this again. No lay and pray please.

If he can land some good shots from the top, he might not need to. He took Stipe down with ease when he tried
Cormier is 1 for 3 on TDA against stipe, who has better take down defense than DC statistically

Cormier is 1 for 3 on TDA against stipe, who has better take down defense than DC statistically
The one takedown he committed to early he got easily. And DC has faced much better wrestlers in his career than Stipe has.

It's DC, hell yea he can wrestle for 5 rds. Fat, Obese, Morbidly Obese, the man is a fookn wrestling machine. He was bred to do this shite m8

The one takedown he committed to early he got easily. And DC has faced much better wrestlers in his career than Stipe has.
He also has failed to take down smaller men with worse wrestling than stipe. Stipe is a high level wrestler and a super strong guy with 75% career TD. Cormier failed miserably on subsequent attempts.

I’m not saying stipe can’t be taken down again by Cormier, I’m just saying it won’t be easy, it won’t be consistent and he won’t keep stipe planted on his back for long.

Back