News Max Rohskopf released from the UFC

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Highly touted prospect Max Rohskopf’s time with the UFC has already come to an end.

The 25-year-old lightweight has been released by the promotion as confirmed by sources close to the situation when speaking to MMA Fighting.
The former N.C. State wrestler made waves on the regional fight scene while building an impressive 4-0 record with all of his wins coming by way of submission. Training under famed grappling champion Robert Drysdale, it appeared Rohskopf was destined for an eventual shot in the octagon.

That opportunity came in a short notice fight against Austin Hubbard at UFC on ESPN 11 in Las Vegas.

Despite a strong start from Rohskopf, his conditioning started to fade as time ticked away on the clock and he began absorbing a lot of punishment from Hubbard in the second round.
As he sat down on his stool between rounds, Rohskopf told his head coach that he was done.

Drysdale did his best to convince Rohskopf that he had enough left in the tank to go back out for the third and final round but the fight was eventually waved off. Following the controversial ending, Rohskopf explained to MMA Fighting the self-sabotage that ultimately led to the end of the fight.

“I’ve done this my whole life,” Rohskopf explained. “I’ve self-boycotted myself. Even when I was wrestling in high school, I was the best in the state and ended up getting third because I self-boycotted myself. I was one of the best guys in the country in college, was never an All-American when it counted, because I was telling myself that, for whatever reason, I don’t deserve it.

“That’s exactly what I did in my fight with Austin. Sh*t got hard, and I looked at my coach and said, ‘I don’t want to be here anymore.’ Not because I didn’t want to be there, but because I didn’t think I deserved to be there.”
For now, Rohskopf will have to continue his career outside the UFC but it’s been well documented in the past that young prospects can earn another shot over time with a few more wins on the regional circuit.
https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Given what Dana said about him after the quitting, its absolutely clear as day that this was a requested release by Rohskopf himself. He knows he isnt either ready or capable for the UFC at present and doesn't to go through that again just yet.

I think he’s creating this narrative, but the fact is that he isn’t as good as he thought he was.
It was the right decision to quit, he was getting his shit pushed in for peanuts, and it was NOT going to get any better.

Sadly, I knew this was going to happen. The UFC didn't want to pile on because of the blowback but I'm sure they felt just as much as the fighters that were critical of Max. They're in the fight business. They know what quitting on the stool looks like.

But his story isn't over and he shouldn't let it be over. I hope he tears up the regional scene and the ufc will call him back.

Hubbard is a tough fight for any entrance level fighter plus it was short notice for Max so there is that. I think there are winnable fights for him in the UFC

Sounds like he needs a sports psychologist to help him get his mindset right. Wish him luck.

One of the most clear-cut cases of needing a sports psychologist Ive ever seen.

Hopefully one talented enough to help him through what sounds like self-destructive tendencies.

He's only 9 he'll probably be back one day..

I got the impression he's not been punched in the face very often before, seems most of his background is grapple based and he's almost always subbed folks in the 1st round... It's a big stage and a big step up to learn the lesson of how much you can withstand a bomb to the jaw.

Back