Are mma big gyms a dying breed?

Bangkok ready d1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Right now we have Only 2 champions that are from big (at least in name recognition) gyms (khabib and jones ) are the big camps a dying breed? Seems like every contender nowadays are from smaller camps.

You forgot Nunes. She's still with ATT.

Older gyms fade and new ones rise. This has happened before.

BTT, Chute Boxe and MFS used to be the biggest teams in the sport.

City kickboxing and GTC are both coming up IMO. Both have multiple UFC champs at the moment.

Last edited:
They're just on life support because of Coronavirus. I do think the pandemic shit is going to make some of these guys think they don't need to pay a big gym though. They seem to be finding ways to circumvent them for the most part.

You do realise that MMA gyms refer to any gym which teaches combat sports in both grappling and striking right??

Which is what every fighter trains under....

Yes. #covidproblems

You forgot Nunes. She's still with ATT.

Older gyms fade and new ones rise. This has happened before.

BTT, Chute Boxe and MFS used to be the biggest teams in the sport.

City kickboxing and GTC are both coming up IMO. Both have multiple UFC champs at the moment.
Volk doesn't train much at CKB. He spends most of his camp with his home gym. He is not CKB.

Well, definitely not a dying breed but a breed that will get a little smaller. A ton of good non-champion fighters are still coming of big gyms. The general consensus has changed indeed, that you don't need to train in a top gym to become a top fighter.

My theory is that as MMA grows the big gyms get more and more fighters. Which means either the most important fighters get all the attention and the rest gets 0, so some great fighters go under the radar and fulfill their potential in other gyms.
And sometimes the great fighters don't get enough attention and they go fulfill their potential somewhere else.

Just ATT off the top of my head have/had Covington, JJ, Poirier, Masvidal, Nunes.

One of those is a champ and the other 4 all fought in the last 12 months for a title.

Gyms are still clearly breeding challengers/champions.

Big gyms are still a thing. But to be the best I feel like you need a gym or at least a camp to yourself

Right now we have Only 2 champions that are from big (at least in name recognition) gyms (khabib and jones ) are the big camps a dying breed? Seems like every contender nowadays are from smaller camps.

There has literally never been a MMA gym as huge as ATT right now.

what's up with Sanford MMA? They started segregating their high performers into a newer facility and I'm interested to see if it works out

Usman isn't technically with Team Elevation

He trains with a select few that includes Wittman and Gaethje

all fun n games till you get touched ...

nobody wanna get punched In the face <Lmaoo>

Back