How did Weidman’s striking got so much worse over time?

Age, slowing reflexes, being tentative, also getting his lights shut out multiple times, realizing his chin is cracked.... fear of losing, nerves... lacking confidence in his hands, he was clearly afraid to keep the fight standing, it almost looked as if he’s regressed severely since his last few fights. It’s possible that he isn’t yet confident in the new system he’s learning, he looked like a deer in the headlights last night on the feet, luckily he had his wrestling to fall back on because he was getting pieced up.

He's not as young as was back then like people are saying he's undoubtedly slowed down. But I think the biggest factor is mental. Some fighters just don't bounce back mentally once they lose especially if they keep fighting really tough guys so then they lose again and their confidence gets worse. that's why in boxing managers will typically give a guy a tune up fight or two after being KO'd to get back their confidence.

He's not as young as was back then like people are saying he's undoubtedly slowed down. But I think the biggest factor is mental. Some fighters just don't bounce back mentally once they lose.

Yup I think his camp does not help too.

He took bad beatings from Rock Hard.

And the motivation might be hard to to return.

The Silva fights Motivated him Silva is a huge star and a legit challenge now he may just be looking st fighting as more of a job.

From outstriking Silva and prime-ish Machida, to getting battered on the feet by Akhmedov.. Yikes
His striking actually looked best against Jacare and Gastelum, his last 2 opponents at 185. He was a bit off here but he was NEVER elite defensively, especially if he isn't controlling the pace of the action.

Omari was a little quicker to the punch, and Weidman was a bit off, but his chin held up and even though his gas tank didn't, he still wasn't that bad.

Last edited:
Chris was never a " great striker". He understood distance and keeping opponents at the end of his punches. The machida fight was probably his best fight.
He was -500 favorite over a past it vitor......say what you want to say but he happened to be the guy on the other end of the cage vs an Anderson that was beginning other side of career . Anderson acting like an ass didn't help. He beat Munoz and welter maia to get fast track title shot. You cant compare the SFORCE middles to Munoz and Maia. I mean, lol.

On paper, Chris looks like one of the greatest .This just not the case- and I respect his defenses and he was a real champ and didnt say no to anyone......it still counts. The failure at longevity counts . He made the decisions instead of maybe taking a step back and taking a different opponent instead of the path he took. His only token win came at the hands of a smaller blown up welter ( after losing title).

Chris was never a good technical striker. He was a very physical fighter.

He was an animal who would run straight through you, take you down get in your face and bully you.

Now hes arguably off the juice, been koed multiple times. Doesnt have the same confidence or gas tank required to fight with the intensity/pressure he used too.

He now must fight with his skills. His chin isnt what it used to be and he doesnt have that same gas tank he used to. So he fights more smart and with the skills he actually has, (which are just slightly above UFC average) and thats what youre seeing now. An above average UFC fighter fighting guys who are very dangerous.

ive been saying this for a while too and I’m a Chris fan but yeah he was never like this great striker. In his prime when he was beating Lyoto, Vitor, etc it was always his good wrestling and the fact that he was this tank that was just walking though everything so you’d eventually slow down and he’d drown you whether it be standing up or on the ground. Due to the IV bans and other shit like getting finished a lot his main claim to a win in walking through your shit to land his shit just doesn’t work and now he’s gotta be all technical which just isn’t him.

Getting brutally stopped in almost all your last few fights probably makes you second guess yourself

I feel like his striking worked better when his takedowns were more effective.

His TDS aren’t as effective anymore. So he’s on the feet longer and now his opponents aren’t as scared of the takedowns while they are striking with him Making his opponents mite comfortable.

Outstriking Silva?Did you even watch the fights?

Yes I did. Second fight Silva was getting handled until the leg break, zero debate there.

First fight Silva probably did have higher amount of landed strikes, but Weidman landed 1 killing blow which made him outstrike silva. Damage>Quantity of strikes.

Cruel logic? Watch wrestling instead.

Back