How did Weedman manage to KO Anderson?

Judge Lance Ito

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It's known that both Anderson has a legendary chin and Weedman has awful striking.

How on earth did he manage to spark Silva out cold?

I know Silva was clowning him but that punch must have been literally one in a million.

Anderson playing one game too many, and not realizing his reflexes were declining. Anderson Silva is fighter like Roy Jones Junior. When the reflexes decline, the losses start to pile up.

Compare them to fighters like GSP, Jon Jones, Floyd Mayweather who can win forever because they are masters of point fighting, and not taking unnecessary risks relying on reflexes and athleticism, even though they are the better athletes.

Anderson playing one game too many, and not realizing his reflexes were declining. Anderson Silva is fighter like Roy Jones Junior. When the reflexes decline, the losses start to pile up.

Compare them to fighters like GSP, Jon Jones, Floyd Mayweather who can win forever because they are masters of point fighting, and not taking unnecessary risks relying on reflexes and athleticism, even though they are the better athletes.
Yeah thats sums it up

Everyone says Anderson lost because he was clowning, but he was on his way to losing anyway. Weidman took him down at will, and Anderson had no answer. His only choice was to taunt Weidman into standing with him. It didn’t work out, but it wasn’t brainless clowning. It was a strategic move to avoid the takedown.

Silva got tagged/dropped and takendown by Sonnen
Why wouldnt a better striker and better wreslter do better against Silva?

Reactions: 7th
XAXovUa.gif

If you are actually wondering, the 3rd punch in this gif really threw Anderson's distance way off. That second right that Weidman throws (a strange punch with virtually no power on it) moves him a half step closer than Anderson realized. Anderson thought he was half a step further away, but the left hook ends up being right on his chin and KO's him.

weidman was on a roll, standing elbow ko before that. didn't he beat vitor on the feet too?
i don't remember the machida fight, but that must have been a good test for him too

i think he has good stand up, but gets caught in a nasty way. against the elite, you can't get caught flush

Weidman had top level striking. Look at his expert setting up and release of the elbow that ended Munoz.

When fighting Silva he even said In An interview he saw Anderson would do his lean back for a few punches but eventually he would run out of room/balance to do it beyond a point. All he had to do was throw and reach longer to push him to the point he was leant far enough back that when he threw he would connect. He did and Silva was KOed.

It was elite level set up, he isn't a master at technical striking but to say he's terrible is ridiculous. The Jacare fight too he showed damn good striking throughout.

Weidman got him of a very unusual angle/movement the first time. Despite basic striking, he is still a strong dude, and absolutely is still capable of hurting people when he lands. Plus his chin was still strong back then. I definitely wouldn't say he has bad striking, but there's levels to that. I don't think Silva was ever gonna easily beat that prime version of Weidman.

1. His striking isn't that awful
2. It's that thing of Anderson being so sure to dodge every swing. When you suddenly get hit on the chin it wobbles you brain a lot worse

Everyone says Anderson lost because he was clowning, but he was on his way to losing anyway. Weidman took him down at will, and Anderson had no answer. His only choice was to taunt Weidman into standing with him. It didn’t work out, but it wasn’t brainless clowning. It was a strategic move to avoid the takedown.
At will? He took him down once and then wasn't able to anymore. Silva landed some good leg kicks and actually had Chris frustrated going into the 2nd rd (Chris said himself that Silva got in his head).

It's known that both Anderson has a legendary chin and Weedman has awful striking.

How on earth did he manage to spark Silva out cold?

I know Silva was clowning him but that punch must have been literally one in a million.
I've always asked myself the same question. And its not just that he knocked him out. He dominated every moment of both fights. In the second fight before the infamous leg break, there was a moment when they were clenched and Chris hit him and you see Anderson's eyes roll back in his had for a moment and he falls on the mat. There was just something mysterious about the Chris that was Anderson's kryptonite.

His standup was very solid, he is pretty slow, but it didn't matter all that much with those calculated, frugal exchanges.

He was very good fighter with good style to beat Anderson.

Don't mind bitter Andy nuthuggers.

Last edited:
Back