Retiring on top is so rare...

HHJ

RIP Toriyama
@plutonium
Reaction score
Lennox Lewis did it
GSP did it. (Even if he does fight Khabib,his legacy is already assured,and his first "career" was over,as champion.
Khabib could possibly do it.
It is possible that Stipe OR DC will have this oppurtunity as well.
Cejudo did it,but i dont think his intention was to retire at all,just overplayed his hand.

I get it that they might not be your particular favorite fighter but people just get so bent out of shape when guys want to retire on their terms. Its masterful if you can pull it off. No one is required to fight until they lose.
There will ALWAYS be someone new. You cant go on forever. Best to make the choice before its made for you.

Don't forget Triple C. He retired on 3 tops. GOAT

I think it's admirable to continue fighting, if past prime fighters didn't fight we wouldn't have the stars of today.

If Hughes retired after finishing GSP, GSP wouldn't be who he is today.

If Andy retired after Bonnar, the Chris wouldn't be the Chris.

Pay homage to the warriors who go out on their shields.

I think it's admirable to continue fighting, if past prime fighters didn't fight we wouldn't have the stars of today.

If Hughes retired after finishing GSP, GSP wouldn't be who he is today.

If Andy retired after Bonnar, the Chris wouldn't be the Chris.

Pay homage to the warriors who go out on their shields.
Wether they want to or not,its actually just very difficult to pull it off,and then once you lose the top spot,your like,well might as well keep on going
Some guys take control of the situation,and leave behind a gold standard,that inspires others.

Reactions: D'z
Yeah it’s real goat shit.

Eh, I respect the fighter spirit of guys like Anderson Silva, Sakuraba and RJJ. Losing outside of prime doesn’t lower any fighters legacy to me.

Retiring on top and of old age is GOAT shit

Don't forget Triple C. He retired on 3 tops. GOAT

Triple C(lown) refused to fight the real competition at 135 and decided to retire and pray for an immediate shot at 145 champ.

On paper, the cejudo boys want to claim. He " technically " did. Some smoke and mirrors for my money.There was just too much for him to do before leaving. I thought he lost to DJ twice , a controversial win( which he may have won anyway) and a win over a respected but inactive/ injury plagued Cruz. He was a -260 favorite over Dom.....that's all I needed to see. Hes ,of course, elite but I just cant put him in this company.
Incomplete with some ?s.

Reactions: D'z
Lennox but no mayweather? :)

Bas rutten aswell.

It is rare for sure.

Reactions: Gio
Wether they want to or not,its actually just very difficult to pull it off,and then once you lose the top spot,your like,well might as well keep on going
Some guys take control of the situation,and leave behind a gold standard,that inspires others.
It's a cerebral trait that isn't common in fighters, because a fighter must always have supreme confidence in themselves. To admit you can't do something anymore, is something the average warrior can not do. Atleast not until they've been pushed out the door essentially, either way it shouldn't diminish a fighters legacy and it's just optics for casuals at the end of the day.

Hardcores know no one leaves this game unscathed if they fight into their late 30's and early 40's, age comes for us all.

Reactions: HHJ
Triple C(lown) refused to fight the real competition at 135 and decided to retire and pray for an immediate shot at 145 champ.
I also believe the volk talk was mere lip service. I don't see him returning to get prison raped by any elite 145er.

It's a cerebral trait that isn't common in fighters, because a fighter must always have supreme confidence in themselves. To admit you can't do something anymore, is something the average warrior can not do. Atleast not until they've been pushed out the door essentially, either way it shouldn't diminish a fighters legacy and it's just optics for casuals at the end of the day.

Hardcores know no one leaves this game unscathed if they fight into their late 30's and early 40's, age comes for us all.
Good post,i agree.

Lennox but no mayweather? :)

Bas rutten aswell.

It is rare for sure.
Well,with bas,it was injuries,Mayweather i just keep thinking he will fight again at some point,but sure,hes played the GREAT GAME very well! I guess he counts like GSP counts tho.so yeah youre right

Eh, I respect the fighter spirit of guys like Anderson Silva, Sakuraba and RJJ. Losing outside of prime doesn’t lower any fighters legacy to me.

Retiring on top and of old age is GOAT shit
I am not saying i dont respect them,I am just saying to go out on your own terms,is really special.

Lennox Lewis did it
GSP did it. (Even if he does fight Khabib,his legacy is already assured,and his first "career" was over,as champion.
Cejudo did it,but i dont think his intention was to retire at all,just overplayed his hand.

I get it that they might not be your particular favorite fighter but people just get so bent out of shape when guys want to retire on their terms. Its masterful if you can pull it off. No one is required to fight until they lose.
There will ALWAYS be someone new. You cant go on forever. Best to make the choice before its made for you.
You forgot Mayweather and Calzaghe but yeah, I agree, very rare for a guy to know when to walk away and even rarer to not come back when they get that itch.

You forgot Mayweather and Calzaghe but yeah, I agree, very rare for a guy to know when to walk away and even rarer to not come back when they get that itch.
So who was the fastest fighter you ever fought?
Calzaghe: None of em were faster than me.

Lennox Lewis did it

Can't believe you never mentioned floyd, the poster boy for retiring on top

He never got his ass kicked and literally walked away the best in his sport

There are other examples

Andre ward
Joe calzaghe
Vitali klitschko

Personally I would rather a champ fight until he loses and pass the torch on to the next generation

Champs should go out on their shield

GSP retired in his prime afraid of getting another hiding

He was shook after hendricks

Lewis knew he was slipping so it was right for him to hang them up

Vitali would have hurt him in a rematch

Back