On this day, Silva subs Sonnen in the greatest comeback of all time

TheSpider

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Injured ribs Silva (as confirmed in his documentary ‘Like Water’) submitted 17:1 testosterone ratio Sonnen 10 years ago today in Silva’s 7th title defense. The greatest comeback in MMA history.

A561B59D-8338-4A4A-9A01-6A2A9F8747FD.jpeg

10 Years? Dang. This fight was epic... I mean you had Chael out striking Anderson Freaking Silva!!! But when are one of the GOAT you do GOAT things... Huge Holy S*** moment when Silva got Sonnen in the hail mary triangle with only minutes to spare..

By far. Others would have quit after getting dominated like that, but Silva still somehow stayed calm throughout

I forget which posters wrote the "Anderson purposely waited until the last round to submit Sonnen out of respect for the Nog brothers!" excuse.... Man that comment was legendary...

Last edited:
I remember a plethora of posters who claimed Silva purposely waited until the 5th round to sub him, to show respect to Big Nog.

Lol.

Hell of a comeback. It was a miserable fucking 25 or so minutes...followed by many exuberant rewinds ;)

Last edited:
I was watching that fight wondering why Chael didnt watch for the triangle. It was there for a long time.

Man, how time flies...that was the last time I was really invested in an outcome of a fight. One of the best title fights ever. Always liked Silva, but Chael broke my heart. He was phenomenal that night and him winning the belt would've been legendary, especially after dominating Silva even in stand-up. Still hurts a bit, god damn it.

I had been watching MMA for a little more than a year at this point. The buzz for this fight was crazy. So intense when they walked out. I had butterflies. The crowd was waiting to explode.

I couldn't believe when Chael rocked Silva in the first. I just remember thinking, "he fucking did it" as the fifth round was happening.....then BAM.

Arguably the greatest finish ever.
One of the few moments where I'll always remember exactly where I was. Jaw to the fucking floor.

Considering what was at stake and the build up, it probably is the greatest come back ever. Also... 10 years, this was my introduction to MMA, the Silva/Sonnen beef.

Greatest submission in MMA history.

Ver-sa-tile

Versatile-definition.png

The rematch was my most anticipated fight of all time.

Back