The UFC won the Askren/MM trade by a long shot

• Thread starter Deleted member 359865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 359865

Imagine had Dana White caved and given Askren all that money he was asking for a few years ago. He likely would’ve been tooled by GSP or Prime Lawler and fell off. They instead used up MM for all he was worth, and flipped him into Askren who ended up catapulting Masvidal into a superstar and the UFC got two huge PPVs out of Mas. Brilliant business by the UFC. Meanwhile MM and ONE are in limbo cuz of COVID-19. Crazy how this trade has played out so far. Not saying the UFC could’ve predicted these things but I think Askrens trash talk made his UFC career very valuable and that added some interest to then Masvidal KO.

The only reason UFC won that trade is because Masvidal became a superstar off the Askren win. But comparing Askrens career and Mighty Mouses career after the trade, One wins hands down. They got rid of a past his prime Welterweight and picked up arguably the best fighter in the world much less his weight class.

Imagine had Dana White caved and given Askren all that money he was asking for a few years ago. He likely would’ve been tooled by GSP or Prime Lawler and fell off. They instead used up MM for all he was worth, and flipped him into Askren who ended up catapulting Masvidal into a superstar and the UFC got two huge PPVs out of Mas. Brilliant business by the UFC. Meanwhile MM and ONE are in limbo cuz of COVID-19. Crazy how this trade has played out so far. Not saying the UFC could’ve predicted these things but I think Askrens trash talk made his UFC career very valuable and that added some interest to then Masvidal KO.
No one knows for sure how Ben would of fared if he came over years before he retired at One. I tend to think he would have been much more competitive but who knows for sure.

They both won really, ONE got a recognisable name and the best guy in the world in his division in return for a guy who was retired.

>The best guy in the world

Think again amigo. CCC just EXILED MM like a peasant.

usa_today_11026915.1533443652.jpg

In a razor thin decision that even Cejudo isn't too confident that he won after getting stopped by him in their first fight, yes.
Cejudo did decide where that fight went tho. I’ve rewatched it a couple of times and Cejudo got way more TDs than the judges even counted.

Cejudo did decide where that fight went tho. I’ve rewatched it a couple of times and Cejudo got way more TDs than the judges even counted.

I thought Henry edged it too, but to act like he sent DJ running scared is a bit OTT for me.

Now Henry isn't a FLW anymore I find it difficult to argue that DJ isn't the best FLW in the world.

Masvidal is not a superstar.

Let's see him headline a single card without there being a BMF title and Diaz as the A-side or a triple championship stacked card during a pandemic. If he was a superstar, then he could fight Donald Cerrone at 170 on a pretty much otherwise shit card and make it sell at minimum 600-700k and more accurately 800-1m

That is the objective bar here. We can't just throw the term superstar around like a participation trophy for some fighter Sherdog likes.

Rousey vs Correia sold 900k. McGregor vs Cerrone sold 2 million.

No one knows for sure how Ben would of fared if he came over years before he retired at One. I tend to think he would have been much more competitive but who knows for sure.
His striking is horrible and always has been - he lucked out with the robbie fight - the one time he got competition in ONE he should have lost.

He was beating up cans in ONE.

Let's see him headline a single card without there being a BMF title and Diaz as the A-side or a triple championship stacked card during a pandemic. If he was a superstar, then he could fight Donald Cerrone at 170 on a pretty much otherwise shit card and make it sell at minimum 600-700k and more accurately 800-1m

That is the objective bar here. We can't just throw the term superstar around like a participation trophy for some fighter Sherdog likes.

The pandemic argument is overstated, no other cards have been doing massive numbers during the pandemic.

Askren was already starting to slow down in ONE. Dude was blatantly not training or taking the fights as seriously as he should have.

If they got askren earlier they woulda made their money earlier and prob got a longer career out of him. More fights,more money.

f695c31b0ba548d8d9df0718af26e0ef.jpg

It was really a good trade for both sides. UFC got Askren who himself got a lot of interest then helped create a Star our of Masvidal who likely never would have been under different circumstances. One got a recognizable name that’s one of the best fighters in the world for a fighter that was retired and not competing for them. Win/win for both companies.

The pandemic argument is overstated, no other cards have been doing massive numbers during the pandemic.

Logically with no other sports on I'd imagine the numbers did better than they would have, even marginally, prior to Basketball/Baseball coming back and soccer. But even if we pretend they didn't, I still won't call Masvidal a superstar because he's not.

Even an intriguing match-up with build up such as Masvidal-Covington with an average card behind it isn't going to do that well imo. What do you think that card would do? And I'm giving the benefit of the A-side here basically in terms of build up / drama at least, maybe not in popularity right now.

Okay a more fair example I'd say: Masvidal vs Edwards

What does that fight do in buys?

Logically with no other sports on I'd imagine the numbers did better than they would have, even marginally, prior to Basketball/Baseball coming back and soccer. But even if we pretend they didn't, I still won't call Masvidal a superstar because he's not.

Even an intriguing match-up with build up such as Masvidal-Covington with an average card behind it isn't going to do that well imo. What do you think that card would do? And I'm giving the benefit of the A-side here basically in terms of build up / drama at least, maybe not in popularity right now.

Okay a more fair example I'd say: Masvidal vs Edwards

What does that fight do in buys?

I would guess around 500k. So pretty good but not Ronda or Conor level, but those two are the biggest stars in the history of the sport, so I don't see why we need to compare Jorge to them.

EDIT - I think he breaks a million with Colby.

Delusion.

Masvidal was the A-Side on the highest selling non conor/brock UFC card of all time , you think Usman/Burns headlining the same card is doing 1.3 million buys?

Gaethje/Ferguson did a reported 700k during a pandemic, had a stacked card and was first sport back in a sports starved market.

Even Dana himself acknowledged that the PPV started trending at Conor levels once Masvidal stepped in .

Back