What do you think of Justin's strategy for Khabib?

Russ82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Justin has already said what strategy he will use. Use his footwork to keep it in the centre of the octagon as Khabib isn't as good at takedowns in the open. He plans to chop his lead leg with calf kicks and said after 4 he will be compromised and will need the cage to get the takedown. Justin will then stay off the cage and blast a compromised Khabib with counters.

Problem is Khabib is so fucking fast. His double legs are like lightning. Look at some of the takedowns he landed on Dustin, and even the first one against Conor.

I wonder if Khabib will pressure him like he did with Edson, as standing at range against Justin is asking for trouble.

I honestly can't think of a better plan that. Attacking khabib calf/leg is the best strategy imo, because its very hard to hit khabib clean with your hands. But the most important thing is that Justin has to be the aggressor or at least make the fight stay in center of the cage.

Another thing I think gaethje should try is to attack khabib body and dirty box him when they're in the clinch.

Same as always, stand a bit each round and shoot for the takedown round 2 mins in and try to control each round from there.

this is different from the conor fight where he chose to stand a lot more because he knew Conor’s striking is rubbish and wouldn’t phase him at all.

Listens to too much Chael..Chael is the one pushing this open mat nonsense. The guy has a preference, doesn't mean he can't do it in an MMA match..first time he ever wrestled In a cage is in the UFC. All his other mma matches have been in a ring or open mat. Not to mention his sambo matches.

I think he has a shot because he does have good footwork. He does tend to keep the control of the center but Khabib can fight not having the control of center. Gives it up early in a bunch of his fights

Is that even a question???Avoid takedowns and KO

Justin has already said what strategy he will use. Use his footwork to keep it in the centre of the octagon as Khabib isn't as good at takedowns in the open. He plans to chop his lead leg with calf kicks and said after 4 he will be compromised and will need the cage to get the takedown. Justin will then stay off the cage and blast a compromised Khabib with counters.

Problem is Khabib is so fucking fast. His double legs are like lightning. Look at some of the takedowns he landed on Dustin, and even the first one against Conor.

I wonder if Khabib will pressure him like he did with Edson, as standing at range against Justin is asking for trouble.
justin is gonna starch him in the first round i have a feeling.

If he can get leg kicks without getting taken down, i'm all for it. But he'll need to only use calf kicks since his leg won't come up as high, which would make easier takedowns from Khabib.

Super fast, low calf kicks could work as long as he mixes it up with punches first. He'll need to end on a leg kick, not lead with them.

I'd prefer more of a sprawl and brawl style. Justin will need to be at distance and probably moving backwards, trying to let Khabib walk into him and allowing him to land shots. Going forward at Khabib seems like a bad idea since it'll leave himself open for a level change and takedown.

Lateral movement seems great too in case he over-commits to a strike that leaves him open for the takedown. If he can circle after striking, he might be able to better shake off takedown attempts that are timed against his striking. Doing so will also keep him off the cage where Khabib works best on forcing the takedown.

There is video footage of Khabib’s last 3 opponents talking about the exact same strategy. Gaethje is acting like he’s the first person that figured out that you have to keep the fight in the center of the octagon against Khabib. Knowing and doing are two different things.

Listens to too much Chael..Chael is the one pushing this open mat nonsense. The guy has a preference, doesn't mean he can't do it in an MMA match..first time he ever wrestled In a cage is in the UFC. All his other mma matches have been in a ring or open mat. Not to mention his sambo matches.

I think he has a shot because he does have good footwork. He does tend to keep the control of the center but Khabib can fight not having the control of center. Gives it up early in a bunch of his fights
thank you lol. ppl act like khabib is one dimensional. Fact is he uses 1 thing because it always seems to work, for each fight he fights their one strength and just neutralizes that and does his plan A. When plan B is needed its there.

There is video footage of Khabib’s last 3 opponents talking about the exact same strategy. Gaethje is acting like he’s the first person that figured out that you have to keep the fight in the center of the octagon against Khabib. Knowing and doing are two different things.

True, but none of them had Gaethje’s wrestling pedigree. Al has a wrestling background and he was a able to stuff a few.

I’m not saying it will be easy, but Gaethje is the guy with the best toolset to TRY to beat Khabib. And aside from the risk of leg kicks being caught for takedowns, it is the correct strategy.

I think he needs to HURT Khabib early. Whether it is compromising a leg with calf kicks or rocking him with a punch, he needs to hurt him. Otherwise Khabib mauling becomes more inevitable the more time spent in the cage with him.

If Gaethje can keep it standing, even if just for a few minutes per round, this fight becomes very interesting. Gaethje has never shown any BJJ, so we have to assume he is fucked if he spends any time in his back. but every standing exchange is another chance for Gaethje to KO Khabib, and unlike Conor and others who were afraid to let their hands go, Gaethje has confidence in his defensive wrestling which should let him be free to be dangerous while striking. (Something Khabib really hasnt had to deal with much)

Back