Why wasn't Weidman able to control Romero on the ground?

ijngf

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I just rewatched Romero vs Souza and Romero vs Weidman, and it seems to me that Romero did not prepare very well on his back, but Weidman was not able to use Romero's weakness. Weidman took Romero down for several seconds in the first round, but was not able to control him on the ground. In the second round, Weidman tried several times, but Romero's TDD was successful and took Weidman down and controlled him on the ground for 30".

Apparently, Weidman's wrestling was better than Souza's, but why wasn't Weidman able to control Romero on the ground, while Souza was able to do it for 2'20"?

I just rewatched Romero vs Souza and Romero vs Weidman, and it seems to me that Romero did not prepare very well on his back, but Weidman was not able to use Romero's weakness. Weidman took Romero down for several seconds in the first round, but was not able to control him on the ground. In the second round, Weidman tried several times, but Romero's TDD was successful and took Weidman down and controlled him on the ground for 30".

Apparently, Weidman's wrestling was better than Souza's, but why wasn't Weidman able to control Romero on the ground, while Souza was able to do it for 2'20"?
That's a very fair question -- Weidman has a top notch top game in MMA context. Romero just never seemingly settled on bottom and was able to get up (quite impressively imo). We've seen Weidman control folks on top many times, but it just wasn't his A game that night I reckon. Furthermore, I feel that was one of the better displays of top game offense we've seen from Romero in his UFC tenure (also was brutal against Machida).

Romero is an Olympic wrestler and one of the best pure athletes to ever fight in the UFC. Not sure why you are even asking this question. It's nearly impossible to control him on the ground. Jacare had a bit of success doing it (not a ton from what I remember), because prime Jacare had one of the best BJJ games in MMA history. Weidman's ground control game is definitely not on his level.

Because Romero was an Olympic Silver Medalist, maybe??

And Jacare is elite on the ground
His wrestling experience and accomplishment would not really help him on his back.

Romero is an Olympic wrestler and one of the best pure athletes to ever fight in the UFC. Not sure why you are even asking this question. It's nearly impossible to control him on the ground. Jacare had a bit of success doing it (not a ton from what I remember), because prime Jacare had one of the best BJJ games in MMA history. Weidman's ground control game is definitely not on his level.
Jacare control Romero on his back for 2'20" in the third round, and almost had a chance to control him on his back for some time in the second but for Romero's illegally holding the fence.

Nobody controls Romero
Jacare got somd top control when Romero was gassed,and still didn't do anything with it.

There is no way for Weidman to control Romero on the ground, unless Yoel is totally gassed. Yoel should be controlling every fighter he fights on the ground, if he decides to do so, which almost never his gameplan.

Every fight is different. No fight is the same. I’d assume it’s not that easy to “control” one of the most decorated freestyle wrestlers of his era.
exactly you are smart,every fight is always different.

how can a person not understand this in a fighting forum?

I mean the obvious answer is the best one. Weidman took him down at the beginning of the fight, Jacare had him down at the end. You can compare Weidman and Jacare skillsets all day, but it's a completely different litmus test

Romero was totally gassed when Jacare was on top. If you had just mentioned that Jacare's top time was 'at the end of round 3', 100% of Shertards could give you the correct reason without even watching the fight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back