An argument for Khabib’s GOAT status

moosaev

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Say what you want, but Khabib has influenced/changed the game more than the other GOAT candidates. Whether it’s the wrist rides or the leg wrap thingy, every card I see several fighters imitating his game. This should be counted on his ledger when discussing GOAT status.

With that mentality then Gaethje is the GOAT for popularizing the calf kicks (or whoever it was) or Mark Coleman for being the godfather of GnP.

It's cool that he is influential and his grappling is innovative, but GOAT has more to do with accomplishments and divisional dominance. He might be top 10 already, but he needs Gaethje and maybe 1-2 more to be considered top tier GOAT.

Last edited:
Already near top 5 GOAT... needs a few more defenses and statement fights while staying undefeated and you have an argument for GOAT GOAT...
Yeah true, but people only focus on resume, there should be other factors considered when determining goat status. How much someone has innovated/influenced the game should count, it’s a huge accomplishment. Khabib has had more style influence over the last couple years than Jon Jones has ever had.

With that mentality then Von Flue is the GOAT for popularizing his choke, or Gaethje for popularizing the calf kicks (or whoever it was) or Mark Coleman for being the godfather of GnP.

It's cool that he is influential and his grappling is innovative, but GOAT has more to do with accomplishments and divisional dominance. He might be top 10 already, but he needs Gathje and maybe 1-3 more to be considered top tier GOAT.
I didn’t say it should be the only thing considered, just one aspect of the full resume. If Von Flue was 28-0 and demolished all his opponents while dominating the deepest division in history, you bet your ass the Von Flue choke should be part of his GOAT status.

Khabib is the Most Studied fighter in the World !!!

His name has become a VERB !!!
I heard cornerman say "Khabib" or "do the Khabib" to their fighters lol

Khabib has changed the ground game

Khabib has destroyed the wall walk and changed the meta.

tenor-2.gif

Khabib Bless

618809-29f18f5a26ab8949f4357f14fcf4a2cd.png

I like your point, TS. I think if two fighters had exactly the same level of accomplishment in the sport, but one of them had been more influential, then that fighter should receive goat status.

Say what you want, but Khabib has influenced/changed the game more than the other GOAT candidates. Whether it’s the wrist rides or the leg wrap thingy, every card I see several fighters imitating his game. This should be counted on his ledger when discussing GOAT status.
Keep sherdog weird.

I didn’t say it should be the only thing considered, just one aspect of the full resume. If Von Flue was 28-0 and demolished all his opponents while dominating the deepest division in history, you bet your ass the Von Flue choke should be part of his GOAT status.

I went back and took out Von Flue and left Coleman and Gaethje because they are better fighters. But to me the argument is still the same.

If some guy comes and completely dominates for a long time, taking on all the best, and does it better and for longer than anyone else, he's the GOAT. The only reason guys like Jones and Anderson aren't more imitated is because their game is too unorthodox and unique to their physical build. It doesn't take anything away from their status though.

I don't know if a guy like Aldo was incredibly innovative. If he did typical tecniques, but he executed them and mixed them up better than anyone else, then he's Goated anyway. To me that's all that matters. Cruz was innovative and somewhat influential, but what makes him a divisional Goat is his reign.

I like your point, TS. I think if two fighters had exactly the same level of accomplishment in the sport, but one of them had been more influential, then that fighter should receive goat status.
Exactly, this is the point I’m trying to make. At the upper levels of GOAT discussions there is very little separation between fighters, other factors have to come into play.

I went back and took out Von Flue and left Coleman and Gaethje because they are better fighters. But to me the argument is still the same.

If some guy comes and completely dominates for a long time, taking on all the best, and does it better and for longer than anyone else, he's the GOAT. The only reason guys like Jones and Anderson aren't more imitated is because their game is too unorthodox and unique to their physical build. It doesn't take anything away from their status though.

I don't know if a guy like Aldo was incredibly innovative. If he did typical tecniques, but he executed them and mixed them up better than anyone else, then he's Goated anyway. To me that's all that matters. Cruz was innovative and somewhat influential, but what makes him a divisional Goat is his reign.
This does not hold, Gaethje did not start or popularize leg kicks, I don’t where you’re getting that from. Fighters are literally copying what Khabib does that is unique to him.

Khabib has revolutionized the ground game. Other GOAT candidates have only maybe introduced one or two techniques. E.G. JBJ and oblique kicks. But that's it.

Khabib has introduced a whole new style of fighting. Overall strategic changes beat out small tactical changes such as new techniques in my opinion.

Khabib Bless

618809-29f18f5a26ab8949f4357f14fcf4a2cd.png

I dont know how you can be in discussion with 5 solid wins and 2 title defences, can you become undisputed too at least? Theres been an interim for the whole of his reign, not all his fault but goat talk at this stage is hilarious to me when you have guys who have 10+ title wins or dominated a division for half a decade +

Back