Why did the UFC just go to Abu Dhabi?

Reign009

Not sure if serious.
Reaction score
I haven't heard anyone ask this but normally the UFC travels to put on shows in different places because there's a live audience. It seems like a huge, unnecessary waste of money to fly a bunch of fighters out to a different country just to have them fight in a closed arena. Everything was pretty much the same as far as the look of the show goes. Didn't they even construct this arena just for this show? Couldn't this have just been done locally?

Maybe there was actually a small, select audience? Maybe they have to fulfill some sort of contract with partners in the Middle East?

They're giving them location and site fees as well as paying for everything as if fans were there. They paid for all of Fight Island, all testing and the entire infrastructure. It would be dumb of the UFC not to go.

You mix in the travel restrictions from certain countries and it makes even more sense.

Dana-White-Money.jpg

They're giving them location and site fees as well as paying for everything as if fans were there. They paid for all of Fight Island, all testing and the entire infrastructure. It would be dumb if the UFC not to go.

Who's they?

I haven't heard anyone ask this but normally the UFC travels to put on shows in different places because there's a live audience. It seems like a huge, unnecessary waste of money to fly a bunch of fighters out to a different country just to have them fight in a closed arena. Everything was pretty much the same as far as the look of the show goes. Didn't they even construct this arena just for this show? Couldn't this have just been done locally?

Maybe there was actually a small, select audience? Maybe they have to fulfill some sort of contract with partners in the Middle East?
there was a small audience of shieks. but the reason is so they could have their fighters that arent from the US fight.

Yeah, it’s not a waste of money because they pay for everything. They pay a giant location fee as well to have these events. “They” being the rich Middle Eastern dudes that put on these fights, or that gave Anthony Joshua 50million+ to fight Ruiz.

Because they already have a deal with Abu Dhabi to organise fights, plus it's one of the rare place these days with fewer Covid cases and rich enough to organise for fighters to come without taking too much risks, since most international fighters can't come to the US due to visa issues.

Arabian Fights
Last year, the UFC announced a five-year partnership with the Department of Culture and Tourism (DCT Abu Dhabi), which guarantees a constant stream of title fights in the Emirati capital until 2024.

However, unlike the previous two Abu Dhabi based UFC events in 2010 and 2014, UFC, which took place in partnership with Flash Entertainment, a live events and promotion company that owned 10% of the UFC, the UFC’s partnership with Abu Dhabi is sponsored by the local government and is being used to enhance economic opportunities in the emirate.

“UFC will become a key component of Abu Dhabi’s thriving events calendar for the next five years, which is already packed full of not only great sporting events, but also cultural, arts and entertainment offerings as well,” Mohamed Khalifa Al Mubarak, chairman of DCT Abu Dhabi, said at the time. “This spectacular mixed martial arts event, which has a huge following around the world, will bring heightened impetus to visitation in the third quarter for the emirate and will no doubt boost incoming tourist numbers as fight fans across the world gather in Abu Dhabi.”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/7/...er-sales-pitch-abu-dhabi-tourism-mma-politics

Have you been living under a rock?

The American border is closed you cant fly people in to the local event..from the other countries

You cant be this dumb

Hmm no, US have made special visas to let fighters and athlete compete and train in the us, Dan Hooker just fought recently, did you forget that ? But I would agree it's not the smartest move.

Edit :Except brazilians fighters I guess, their country is just as bad as the US, I dont think they would be let in anytime soon.

There’s been hints and info dropped about powerful individuals wanting the ufc in Abu Dhabi to increase exposure and tourism. That’s why volkanovski was doing a version of the “nascar” experience, and there were adds about water parks, and hotels in Abu Dhabi. My understanding is they are treating the ufc like royalty in exchange for a marketing opportunity.

The reason they’re doing 4 consecutive events is likely that it’s easier to organize and conduct the Covid climate fights in a location multiple times as opposed to traveling worldwide. It’s the same reason they did 3 events in a row in Florida.

Abu Dhabi paid for basically almost everything. They paid construction, materials, security, catering, hotels, COVID testing, any local fees, local contractors.....everything!! Would't surprise me if they ALSO paid for every single Emirates flight as well. PLUS the UFC then receives a FEE from Abu Dhabi on top of that!

So...the entire event is paid by Abu Dhabi, it's uber-luxurious, everything is comp'd, plus there's additional money for UFC (millions for sure) and it's super safe due to a total exclusion zone.

I mean it's a complete no brainer for the UFC. For Abu Dhabi it's one big marketing exercise. They're very rich, obviously, and they are publicising their destination.

Abu Dhabi : "Sign here please Dana".
Dana" "Sure thing. There you go".

Have you been living under a rock?

The American border is closed you cant fly people in to the local event..from the other countries

You cant be this dumb

Lol @ the uncalled frustration. You gonna be ok? Dan Hooker just fought in the US and yes, I forgot about the international fighters that participated at 251. Some of you need to get a life.

There’s been hints and info dropped about powerful individuals wanting the ufc in Abu Dhabi to increase exposure and tourism. That’s why volkanovski was doing a version of the “nascar” experience, and there were adds about water parks, and hotels in Abu Dhabi. My understanding is they are treating the ufc like royalty in exchange for a marketing opportunity.

The reason they’re doing 4 consecutive events is likely that it’s easier to organize and conduct the Covid climate fights in a location multiple times as opposed to traveling worldwide. It’s the same reason they did 3 events in a row in Florida.
this is exactly it.

Marketing and exposure for Abu Dhabi as a high-end destination for global tourism and business. Bingo. And Dana loves not having any costs associated with putting on the event. Loves that.
That fact that he does not have to PAY for the costs associated with an event (other than his own staff production costs I would guess...) might go someway towards mitigating the loss of a gate revenue which we know that the UFC is obviously not currently getting.
You have to say....UFC get problems thrown at them....they do tend to find solutions. They're quite resourceful.

Last edited:
Because not everyone can enter the US right now.

Back