Thoughts on Mr. Finland after tonight?

xhaydenx

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Really liked what I saw out of Makwan.

Normally, he just comes out and goes hard with the wrestling and goes for the sub early because he knows he's got shit cardio and can't really go more than 1.5 rounds and be any good. But tonight he fought smarter. Didn't just go on the attack right away and gas himself. Pretty measured and safe on the feet before he found his moment to get it to the ground and lock on the nice sub.

I'm interested in seeing how far he can go. If it wasn't for his cardio issues, he would have beat Burgos easily last November. He dominated and almost subbed him in the first and controlled a lot of the 2nd with jabs until his cardio totally failed him.

If he's fixed his cardio issues, the dude might actually be a force in the division. Then again, the pace on the feet in his fight tonight was very slow, and he didn't have to work too much on the ground, and he still seemed pretty fucking spent even after he'd had a moment to get his breath back and was doing the post fight interview.

Also, it was pretty awesome how he told the ref Henry was out, then immediately lets go of the sub when told to, and then goes and puts Henry's head down gently and raised his feet up. Pretty awesome show of sportmanship.

Fix his cardio? Which non-beginner has done that? He seems like a lazy guy who has his mind on other things, destined to underachieve.

Choked out a softball.
To be fair it was a slick choke, but the guy is a Pantene pro through and through. Won’t be more than that.

Henry isn't really that good to be honest, he's kind of living off that win over Dawodu who would beat him 9/10 times.

Dawodu would be a good next fight for Makwan, actually. Presents a lot of the same problems as Burgos does, so if you want to see how he's grown against that style of fighter, that's your guy.

He's a good wrestler, I wish we had seen more stand up to see how he's evolved.
His aggressive style is very enjoyable, not the usual lay n pray. That's a big reason why he gasses if he can't get the finish.

I'd say good thing he lost against Burgos, I think it humbled Makwan a bit, maybe even motivated him.

Hope Makwan fights again soon. Always great fights.

Fix his cardio? Which non-beginner has done that?

His teammate, Conor, for one example.

Went from gassing early in the first Diaz fight, to being able to go all 5 and win in the 2nd Diaz fight, largely due to Conor’s focusing on improving his cardio, pacing himself better, etc.

It’s an area which can be improved, same as any other.

He still has his same issues which is cardio. His striking is ok until gasses. Shane Burgos really exposed him.

Really liked what I saw out of Makwan.

Normally, he just comes out and goes hard with the wrestling and goes for the sub early because he knows he's got shit cardio and can't really go more than 1.5 rounds and be any good. But tonight he fought smarter. Didn't just go on the attack right away and gas himself. Pretty measured and safe on the feet before he found his moment to get it to the ground and lock on the nice sub.

I'm interested in seeing how far he can go. If it wasn't for his cardio issues, he would have beat Burgos easily last November. He dominated and almost subbed him in the first and controlled a lot of the 2nd with jabs until his cardio totally failed him.

If he's fixed his cardio issues, the dude might actually be a force in the division. Then again, the pace on the feet in his fight tonight was very slow, and he didn't have to work too much on the ground, and he still seemed pretty fucking spent even after he'd had a moment to get his breath back and was doing the post fight interview.

Also, it was pretty awesome how he told the ref Henry was out, then immediately lets go of the sub when told to, and then goes and puts Henry's head down gently and raised his feet up. Pretty awesome show of sportmanship.
I have to get excited about this guy again? His inactivity was a real disappointment 5 years ago

Good win i root for him but he was breathing heavy in the post fight interview. Dude still has cardio issues. lol

Someone said it earlier
He’s talented and I like his attitude, could be a beast and good for the sport, but I think he’s looking for other things

Always been a fan of the guy but I'm not sure he can be anything other than a low end top 15 guy, would love to be proven wrong though

Who is the nutrition guy at SBG? Makwan blamed his nutrition coach for gassing out vs Burgos post fight.

All the SBG fighters seem to have cardio problems. Gunnar, Conor, Makwan. Pretty bad if your most prominent fighters all have the same issue.

He seemed very humble and decent in the post fight interview.

Last time I saw him he was acting like a bit of a douche.

I was impressed by his mic skills. Riveting stuff.

Back