Women's Strawweight: Best Division in UFC?

Slippage

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
It's certainly one of them.

Thug Rose and Jessica Andrade put on a great fight, which deservedly got Fight Of The Night.

I likd that the top 4 in the division (Zhang, Rose, Andrade, Joanna) have all held the belt, and all present intriguing match-ups for each other. It's the closest thing I've seen in female combat sports to the Hearns, Hagler, Duran, Leonard era, where you felt you could just watch different match-ups between four high level fighters.

Tatiana Surarez will be in that top mix if she comes back from injury. Lot's of other solid contenders and promising up and comers.

Last edited:

Thug Rose and Jessica Andrade put on a great fight, which deservedly got Fight Of The Night.

I likd that the top 4 in the division (Zhang, Rose, Andrade, Joanna) have all held the belt, and all present intriguing match-ups for each other. It's the closest thing I've seen in female combat sports to the Hearns, Hagler, Duran, Leonard era, where you felt you could just watch different match-ups between four high level fighters.

Tatiana Surarez will be in that top mix if she comes back from injury. Lot's of other solid contenders and promising up and comers.
No but it's clearly the best women's division. Men's FW, men's BW and LW are all better.

WSW has a top 5 where anyone in it can be champion on the right night. You can't tell me you feel the same about BW, LW or MFL.
Disagree I think Andrade is a level below and won the title basically by luck, if Rose didn't land on her head she would have won that fight imo. I think Suarez looked very beatable in her last fight and is still too raw to win the title and I think Joanna likely always loses to Rose.

Disagree I think Andrade is a level below and won the title basically by luck, if Rose didn't land on her head she would have won that fight imo. I think Suarez looked very beatable in her last fight and is still too raw to win the title and I think Joanna likely always loses to Rose.

Looking how the fight went last night, if the fight was a 5 rounder, instead of 3 I think Andrade would have finished Rose (again). The third round was decisively for Andrade and she was hurting Rose a lot. If anything, Rose got lucky that it was only a 3 round fight.

So while Andrade didn't look great in the first fight before dropping Rose upside her head, the rematch proved that Andrade is on the same level as Rose. She looked really good, despite Rose being the superior striker. She made a huge amount of adjustments from the first fight to cope with Rose's striking, and she was very succesful.

Andrade is the most beatable of the quartet, but she knows how to make adjustments and becomes more competitive in rematches. I'd be very intrigued to see Andrade rematch Joanna (Joanna beat her in 5 rounds by unanimous decision in 2017). I feel like Andrade will have learned from that first fight and could possibly beat Joanna.

I don't think Andrade is lucky. She's at that elite level. She could have beaten Rose again in the rematch, and it would not have been by luck.

Last edited:
Did you watch the fights last night? Rose always loses that fight if its 5 rounds. Doesn't have the gas tank or power to make it go any other way.

The belt can very well play hot potato with that top 5 for a while. I can't say that for the other divisions. I don't think Andrade is a level below anything lol she just beat the hell out of the woman who dethroned the divisions GOAT.

Did you watch the fights last night? Rose always loses that fight if its 5 rounds. Doesn't have the gas tank or power to make it go any other way.

The belt can very well play hot potato with that top 5 for a while. I can't say that for the other divisions. I don't think Andrade is a level below anything lol she just beat the hell out of the woman who dethroned the divisions GOAT.

Well said.

You'll probably get tons of shit once the WMMA hate brigade wakes up, but the division is definitely a lot of fun right now. I don't generally rank divisions, but WSW is absolutely one of the better ones.

Let the haters hate. This division rocks.

Just thinking of the Champ Zhang Weilli. She shows you can be a mega star without Masvidal type BS. There's a lot to.like about this China woman!

She won a five round war with Joanna. Saying she doesn't have a gas tank is pretty stupid to say imo

Just thinking of the Champ Zhang Weilli. She shows you can be a mega star without Masvidal type BS. There's a lot to.like about this China woman!

Cuba: 11 Millions
China: 1401 Millions

WSW has like 5 good fighters and nearly no knockouts. zzzz

Don't forget Amanda ribas said after the fight shes going back down to 115 as well so things are getting more interesting by the minutes.

She won a five round war with Joanna. Saying she doesn't have a gas tank is pretty stupid to say imo
Does the phrase styles make fights mean anything to you?

Joanna is an out fighter. She's not pressing you 24/7 making you move around as much as Andrade. She doesn't have the tank or power to go 5 rounds with Andrade. Shit, she got tired last night in 3 and got brutalized for it.

I agree that it's unfair to suggest Rose hasn't got a gas tank, but I have to agree that Andrade would probably have her number in most 5 round fights. Rose is a more skilled striker and has good defense, but Andrade just needs to wait for Rose to slow down in the later rounds, for her superior strength and power to prove decisive.

We've seen in 2 fights, that Rose cannot avoid getting hurt by Andrade as the rounds go on. Rose literally has to fight the perfect fight and not get touched in a 5 rounder, to avoid getting finished by Andrade. It's why it's a fascinating match-up. I honestly think they should have a trilogy.

Last edited:
Don't forget Amanda ribas said after the fight shes going back down to 115 as well so things are getting more interesting by the minutes.

Very interesting. She might be a live contender to the top 4 or 5 ladies.

Is ribas a flw or aw?

Back