Do you think Masvidal really believed he could beat Usman?

ijngf

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I don't think so. He did not seem to know how to deal with Usman's wrestling.

Why wouldn't he? Why wouldn't he know that he wasn't as good of a wrestler as Usman, but believe that he could stuff enough of his takedowns to secure at least a couple of chances to ko him?

Mind you, the only reason Masvidal got the fight in the first place was ko'ing Askren befor Askren even had a chance to get in the fight.

Did fine in wrestling considering Usman is 15 pounds heavier and has more cardio.
Didn't circle off the fence and got footstomped for 10 minutes

Did fine in wrestling considering Usman is 15 pounds heavier and has more cardio.
As a close friend of Romero and Covington, two good wrestlers, I thought they would teach him something. I did not expect him to not even know how to keep distance. I thought he might be overpowered, but he would do good takedown defence and counterstrike.

As a close friend of Romero and Covington, two good wrestlers, I thought they would teach him something. I did not expect him to not even know how to keep distance. I thought he might be overpowered, but he would do good takedown defence and counterstrike.
He lost a lot of gas and tried to fight in spurts after round one. He basically fought like Romero and paid the price for it in this case.

No. He was seen eating pizza right before the fight.

Yeah I mean he didn't look hopeless in there. A lot of the mistakes made looked more due to a lack of proper gameplanning and preparation moreso than Usman simply being the better fighter all around.

He lost a lot of gas and tried to fight in spurts after round one. He basically fought like Romero and paid the price for it in this case.
Romero never devoted much energy in round one. By contrast, he usually loses round one. He usually does fire scout in round one. He obviously did not learn from Romero's strategy.

No one. He's basically a bigger Khabib. He can win by clinching and wrestlefucking you to death.

It's ugly, but it's incredibly tough to beat. No point putting in a striker with him, as the result will never be in doubt.

Maybe someone stronger who has better wrestling, but that guy ain't in the UFC right now.

So you are saying somehow in 24 hours after both fighters weighed in at 170 Usman was somehow able to rehydrate 15 more pounds than Jorge?

So you are saying somehow in 24 hours after both fighters weighed in at 170 Usman was somehow able to rehydrate 15 more pounds than Jorge?
Usman is bigger than Masvidal.... Jorge is 176 in the cage, Usman is at least 190.

Why wouldn't he? Why wouldn't he know that he wasn't as good of a wrestler as Usman, but believe that he could stuff enough of his takedowns to secure at least a couple of chances to ko him?

Mind you, the only reason Masvidal got the fight in the first place was ko'ing Askren befor Askren even had a chance to get in the fight.
Askren is a disc golfer who fought cans for years. Marty from Nebraska is on a different planet. Masvidal is dangerous on his feet (this version, not the safe point fighting version). Guys like Masvidal and especially Diaz, Conor etc.. sit around on the fringe of this sport and try and wait for favorable matchups. Marty fights all comers and beats them all. Nate and Conor don't want to accept how important wrestling is in this sport. Hats of to Masvidal for stepping in there. We all knew what would happen to him. If you don't like that type of fight learn how to stuff the takedowns, develop techniques to stop the clinch/cage work. Also, Masvidal is fighting a bigger guy, he is a LW most of his career like Nate. I remember Nate vs Rory. It wasn't competitive. There are matchups these LW's just won't do well in. Enough with the B.S. BMF stuff and fight.

Usman is bigger than Masvidal.... Jorge is 176 in the cage, Usman is at least 190.
i'm not sure about jorge being 176 in the cage. wasn't he saying he was 190 when he accepted the fight?

marty was bigger, but that's a shitty excuse to be honest.

i'm not sure about jorge being 176 in the cage. wasn't he saying he was 190 when he accepted the fight?

marty was bigger, but that's a shitty excuse to be honest.
Jorge has the smallest cage weight in the WW division, he's smaller than RDA iirc.

It's not an excuse, I was giving context to the original post lol. And yes, he did pretty well as a former lightweight stuffing a huge welterweights TDs for the most part.

Even with a full camp and preparation for both fighters, this fight would’ve gone exactly the same as it did. Masvidal doesn’t have the tools to beat someone like Usman.

He was able to nullify his wrestling for quite awhile so Usman leaned on him against the fence. There is a reason Twitter blew up with memes of people falling asleep during the fight, Usmans style is awful.

He’s a very basic striker that just wings punches to get inside and wall and stall. Hell I think he landed 4-5 headbutts and those were his most significant strikes of the fight.

He’s great at what he does but will never sell fights unless the opponent is bringing them in

Back