Are escapes scored?

Bearknuckle

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I wrestled throughout high school. It made me think in mma, how come when a guy takes someone down for a split second and does nothing with it, it is scored so heavily? If it is scored so much, shouldnt escapes be scored as well.

the idea behind scoring a takedown while doing 0 damage is because the fighter dictated where they wanted the fight. So if a guy escapes, shouldnt he be awarded for dictating where he wanted the fight? In this case standing up?

i know its a sport and a game at times. When its a close round on the feet, a guy would sometimes go for a takedown just to score, knowing he isnt gonna do anything with it.

also, what about defended takedowns? Isn’t stopping a guy from taking u down, a sign of dictating where the fight goes?

in wrestling, u get 2 pts for a takedown and 1 pt for escapes. Sometimes when the round starts in wrestling, u can opt to start on the bottom to acore an escape point, because breaking out of a lock is a sign of advancing or changing position. Shouldnt it be like that in mma?

If someone escapes quickly like Holloway did then the takedown should mean nothing. There are idiots that believe takedowns should be treated like knockdowns.

"Stopping the td is reward enough in itself"..

I'm on the same boat though.. failing when spamming td's, holding someone on the fence or lay n praying should be punished.. either of these actions point to standing not being a neutral position..

if the striker keeps it standing while not doing damage that should probably count as a dominant position if laying on the ground without doing damage counts as dominant for wrestlers..

And do away with the 10 point must system..

No. If anything the person who went for the takedown still gets points for aggression.

Sometimes. Romero won the last two rounds against Souza perhaps because he escaped for a few times.

However, it should be noticed that nothing is 'scored' under the ten-point system. When we say something, such as significant strikes or aggression, is 'scored', we mean to say that something is counted as advantage for a fighter. Therefore, a fighter may theoretically have obvious advantage but still loses the fight on the scorecard.

Back