Forget Round Scoring. Holloway won the actual fight, he was clearly the most effective fighter!

GiTGuD

Is she gonna turn in powerful people?
Banned
Reaction score
Forget bullshit artificial round scoring for a second.....Judge the whole fight by it's whole, don't cut into pieces.

It's safe to say that Max Holloway won the whole fight.....Why? He clearly dropped/wobbled/hurt Volk(regardless of what he says post fight), volk never had Max hurt like that at all, thus Max was clearly the most effective striker/fighter.....Sure Volk came back in the end but it wasn't enough, Volk wasn't destroying Max at all, he was doing better but it wasn't enough to offset the beating he GOT in the earlier rounds.

Fighting is about damage/about being effective....all of which Holloway did way better.

Last edited:
ppl argue that with rose and wandrade 2 .. rose won the fight but if you saw their faces post fight..

I love Holloway and if he was still the champ he probably would have gotten the nod tonight.
But...That third was very close, and he essentially gave up those last two rounds. As a challenger in the judges eyes that doesn’t look good. A VERY close fight but not a robbery. As Max says it is what it is.

ppl argue that with rose and wandrade 2 .. rose won the fight but if you saw their faces post fight..
When did I mention facial Damage? It has nothing to do with that.

I clearly saw Volk Rocked...He was clearly dropped...Sorry this isn't a "cosmetic" thing, he visibly got hurt during the fight...Max was the most effective striker considering Max wasn't really hurt during the fight.

So many butt hurt biased Americans
Americans in general do not "root for the American". We are too used to winning to care, generally.
The fact is, Max is a fan favorite which will already create a lot of people thinking he won, but he also took it to Volk for the first couple rounds and even after he started fading there were a couple really close ones. Not one person I have talked to about this fight has ever expressed an American fighter bias, yet every person had scored it for Holloway (including someone I know who was rooting for Volk).

Don't get me wrong, rd 3 was close and I half expected a judge to score it for Volk, but the decision def surprised me.

Last edited:
When did I mention facial Damage? It has nothing to do with that.

I clearly saw Volk Rocked...He was clearly dropped...Sorry this isn't a "cosmetic" thing, he visibly got hurt during the fight...Max was the most effective striker considering Max wasn't really hurt during the fight.

my bad i thought i was replying to another thread... too many tabs open too many drinks

Time limits are as artificial as scoring by rounds so the guy doing better later in the fight deserves to win as he would likely keep winning if they kept going.

10 point system for MMA makes no sense at all especially when a KD doesn't take away a point.

The system was made for boxing.

When Volk got the take down in rd 3 I knew he won it. 2 judges scored the first round for Usman for fucks sake. Masvidal dominated Usman the whole round. Even off his back. Takedowns count way too much in MMA.

I give Volk a lot of credit because he wins fights in the most systematic way I have seen in MMA. He is rarely impressive in a winning round. He does just enough to win.

Max likely wins under PRIDE scoring but that's why we have pussified 10pt system

So many butt hurt biased Americans
Ask any Hawaiian if they are American and let me know how that works out for you lol. Hawaii might was well be a different country that operates within the US economy. Most of them hate mainland Americans.

The 10-point system is not great, but can you propose something better? When Wilder nearly murdered Fury, but Fury won more rounds - who was the real winner of the fight? Because outside the ring Wilder would've kicked Fury's face in while he was unconscious.

Holloway won 2 rounds with flash knockdowns, let's not pretend Volk was mortally wounded. He didn't even sliglthy wobble after both of them. Afterwards Holloway thought the fight is in the bag and cruised toward the decision.

I scored the last 3 Volk, although at least 2 of them were probably 10-10 rounds.

Time limits are as artificial as scoring by rounds so the guy doing better later in the fight deserves to win as he would likely keep winning if they kept going.
That would only make sense if Volk was destroying max in the end....He wasn't, he was getting the better of the exchanges but it wasn't enough to offset the damage he took in the earlier rounds.

Yes, Time limits are artificial but it is what it is.

That would only make sense if Volk was destroying max in the end....He wasn't, he was getting the better of the exchanges but it wasn't enough to offset the damage he took in the earlier rounds.

Yes, Time limits are artificial but it is what it is.

It is what it is, which is why we can't judge a fight by a different standard than what it was fought under. Volk might have fought differently or had a different strategy if they entered the fight knowing it was being judged under Pride rules or whatever.
I think the judging in MMA is a mess and a lot of that comes from the 10 point system but, it is what it is and it's the system we've got and the fighters fight under.

Back