Leon Edwards wants winner of Usman-Masvidal title clash at UFC 251: 'I got history with both men'

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
After Edwards declined, the UFC offered the shot to Burns, who was also unable to make the fight after testing positive for COVID-19. The promotion then reopened negotiations with Masvidal and struck a deal for “Gamebred” to challenge Usman for the undisputed welterweight title this Saturday at UFC 251. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on ESPN and early prelims on UFC Fight Pass/ESPN+.

Keen to get back into the mix, Edwards explained he has unfinished business with both headliners and says he wants to face the winner next, regardless of the result on Saturday night.

“I’m just happy that the division (has) got some movement to it,” Edwards told MMA Junkie. “For a while, it’s been stagnant and nothing was happening, so it’s good to see them fighting. I got history with both men and I’d love to fight the winner.”

Edwards had his infamous backstage altercation with Masvidal in London in 2019 after a fight card where both men were victorious. Usman, on the other hand, is the last man to defeat Edwards, back in December 2015. It means that both matchups offer interest for the Brit, who said he deserves to be the next man in line for the title at 170 pounds.

When asked if he’s worried that the UFC will award the next title shot to Burns, Edwards pointed out the UFC came to him with the title shot offer before asking Burns, so it makes sense that he should get the next shot ahead of the Brazilian.

“We both lost opportunities to coronavirus,” Edwards explained. “For me, I couldn’t travel because of coronavirus and that’s the only reason (Burns) got to fight Woodley. Same as the title shot: I couldn’t travel because of coronavirus and they offered me a title shot, so we both lost opportunities to the same thing. So I can’t see why they would look over me when I’ve got the most wins in the division (compared) to the champion.”

The title shot is the No. 1 option for Edwards, but given the fact it’s been almost a full year since his last fight – a unanimous decision victory over former lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos – he said he might be willing to face Burns if the winner of Saturday’s main event decides to take some time off after their victory on “UFC Fight Island.”

“It depends how long we’re waiting for,” Edwards said. “If it’s a long time waiting – like (the) end of the year, or next year – then I’d rather compete. My last fight was in July when I fought RDA, so that’s almost a year. So I would like to compete and stay active.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/07/ufc-251-leon-edwards-wants-winner-kamaru-usman-jorge-masvidal

big fan of Leon and would love to see him get a title shot but I see Burn as long as he is healthy getting the next crack at the winner .

I would like to see Leon get a shot at The strap but I believe he needs to fight another fight in the mean time if not two. He needs to fight while the champ is fighting and if Burns gets the next shot he should also have to fight someone then. Waiting out while everybody else fights should not get you a shot.

He's got Burns ahead of him so he'll have to fight at least once before getting a shot. If Jorge wins no contenders will be getting a shot so he'll be having stay busy fights for a long time.

Nah Burns should be next. Edwards was supposed to fight Woodley. Burns actually did that and beat him.

Edwards should fight Wonderboy

Burns has better and more recent wins. Edwards can fight Colby while Burns gets the next shot.

Absolutely no question that Leon Edwards should face the winner of this fight. He's won like 8 in a row and has looked better with every performance. He's well rounded enough to give both guys a run for their money.

Have a feeling the Gilbert Burns title shot is going the way of the T.J. Grant title shot, honestly.

Should be Burns vs Edwards for next.

Usman never fights and if he wins there's a good chance it will be 9-12 months before he fights again. If Masvidal wins, he'll fight a money fight like Conor or Nate.

I'm still not sure how Masvidal didn't get punished in some way for punching Edwards backstage.

Leon last 3 wins are a split decision vs unranked Gunny Nelson, then decision wins over (2) former LW who are on losing streaks

How does he think he deserves a title shot?

Go fight Chiesa, since you both have the same "best" win...or fight Wonderboy

Back