Amnesia in recent MMA/UFC timeline!?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Fuck I am still stuck in 2000s circa of MMA!

Now at first I thought that its growing old, kind of like how older people are stuck in their youth culture of 70s or 80s while being in modern times. But I realized that most folks don't really remember epic moments of MMA past the 2000s. People still talk about the primetime of GSP/Penn and how insane it was.

Chael Sonnen once said that it took months for a UFC event to happen and during the build up, there was intense anticipation happening. People knew the story of the former UFC fighters, they would search the internet to find out what kind of training and dieting they were doing to get in shape. Now its not like that anymore!

Meanwhile an event can happen with Conor, Colby and Jorge. Afterwards its forgotten completely and done with and no one seems to remember it. Is this due to social media? Is Covid/lock down showing us that we were going too fast with times and news while not savoring those!

Well, we're on an MMA forum where we discuss everything from a fight to how a fighters hair has thinned since the last time they fought. Subject matter moves fast here since fights happen so often now. The biggest moments are always remembered here, it's just a matter of bringing them up.

All the star players are gone.
Anderson Silva is done.
Conor is not playing anymore.
GSP is gone.
Jones is past his prime, lost to Reyes.
Cain, Werdum, Anthony, Gus, Whittaker, Jacare, Triple Clown, DJ, the list goes on.
Now we have Boring Usman as a champ.

Now at first I thought that its growing old, kind of like how older people are stuck in their youth culture of 70s or 80s while being in modern times. But I realized that most folks don't really remember epic moments of MMA past the 2000s. People still talk about the primetime of GSP/Penn and how insane it was.

Chael Sonnen once said that it took months for a UFC event to happen and during the build up, there was intense anticipation happening. People knew the story of the former UFC fighters, they would search the internet to find out what kind of training and dieting they were doing to get in shape. Now its not like that anymore!

Meanwhile an event can happen with Conor, Colby and Jorge. Afterwards its forgotten completely and done with and no one seems to remember it. Is this due to social media? Is Covid/lock down showing us that we were going too fast with times and news while not savoring those!

Connors still constantly talked about despite last fighting ages ago. Ditto Khabib. You just have selective memory .

I wish people would forget but that's the opposite of what happens round here.

Look at all the threads about Max's training. Jorges training/ diet. You're just getting old and selective in what you're consuming. Nothing wrong with that at all.

During the 2000s, the UFC usually had about 1 PPV monthly and 1 Fight Night every few months. They also had a smaller roster, so fighters got more exposure reliably. It also meant cards were more stacked on average. That era also seemed to respect rankings more, so new stars more fluidly came in and out of the scene since top fighter were paired with top fighters.

The situation now is just different. More fighters, more cards, fewer events/fights people actually give a shit about. More fighters to promote, so only the big ones really get the UFC behind them at all. And now with fighters actually taking a stand against the shitty UFC pay, matchmaking is becoming more about "well, he's available so let's book this fight" as opposed to purely rankings. That, or they pull a WWE move at the top of the card and pay those fighters an assload for the sole sake of getting PPV buys (as opposed to a naturally formed exciting match up).

If the UFC still had 2-3 true contender fights on the main card reliably for their PPV, followed by a title fight or a title eliminator/#1 contender fight, I think things would go back to the way they were. But they'd actually need to respect their own rankings for that to work, which they don't.

I miss when 3rd parties were the only ones doing rankings. UFC seemed to follow those more than their own fairy-tale ones.

Anderson Silva is done.
GSP is gone.
Cain, Werdum, Anthony, Gus, Whittaker, Jacare, Triple Clown, DJ, the list goes on.
Don't worry, Whittaker will be back.
Hopefully CCC will be back as well.

Anderson Silva is done.
GSP is gone.

Jones beat Reyes.

Those days were great, but man as far as consistent quality across all divisions on the top 10 the UFC is in its prime right now.
The fighters, especially strikers, are also way more skilled now in general.

I think it has to do with it being a niche sport in the 90s and early 2000s. Now it’s kinda mainstream with all the casuals Conor brought in and it’s way more organized and systematic

That’s a long winded way to say ufc is dying.

Wmma ruined it all. Too many cards because there’s so many of them willing to fight for peanuts cause they suck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back