Rumored Anyone else get the feeling that Marty’s

What will be Usman’s gameplan

• Total voters

Benoitthegr8

Filthy Pensioner
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ego and change of fight camp with Trevor Wittman will have him testing his standup much more than expected against Masvidal....?

Just wanted to get a dialogue going on how Sherdog thinks this fight will play out. Here are some points below that could support the this theory.

- Personally I’m thinking he’s going to utilize his striking much more than anticipated due to his camp being predicated on a striking first, less grappling heavy game plan due to Burns threat on the ground.

- His last fight against Colby was an exciting 5 round war, but the build up and the fight definitely exceeded expectations. Both men had high level wrestling accolades which nullified the grappling and turned the fight into a fisticuffs fiasco, obviously it wasn’t a technical masterpiece of striking, but the fight delivered. This fight would’ve given him much more confidence in his standup, you know the saying “wrestlers fall in love with their striking”

- Marty’s previous wet blankets performance was against Woodley to win the title... he beat Woodley using the highest percentage game plan, also the path of least resistance which was also the safest route to victory. Which makes this performance exactly what was needed to bring home the strap, while boring it was most effective. Winning the way he did against TWood was most impressive, no one expected him to rag doll Woodley for 5 full rounds.

- As the defending champ who is facing an elite striker I think his ego will play into the equation, I’m sure he’s heard the wet blanket comments and people saying he wouldn’t be able to stand with Jorge. I’m guessing that he will exploit Masvidal’s TDD early, using positional wrestling, making Mas carry his weight, and wall work. He’s going to attempt to gas Masvidal out, he’s not likely to submit Jorge so it will go to the later rounds. I’m gonna say going into the 3rd round because he will be up on the cards, we’re going to see Usman willing to stand and test the waters. Going from here on if he thinks it’s a close round he’ll get the TD at the end of the round.

Discuss

Yes I’m thinking that he might want to test his striking more than he should do. He floored Colby in a grudge match and that’s only going to make him more confident. Usman should be careful though because he is hittable. Jorge will bounce his head around if given time to settle into a stand up fight. I’m not making a prediction yet, but this kind of feels like it has Masvidal by KO written in the stars.

I think it’s gonna be a combination. Usman May be short on striking but he ain’t short on ego. I think he’s gonna try to wing it off the start, come to the realization he needs to rassle more and switch game plans.

You never know for sure what’s gonna happen but I like Mas in this, especially for the odds.

Usman wouldn’t survive if Jorge landed the shots he did against Nate. Jorge will surprise people with his TDD

idk, Usman seems like a very smart and calculated fighter, I don't think he'll fall prey to his ego and fall in love with his hands. he'll just ground n pound.

I think it’s gonna be a combination. Usman May be short on striking but he ain’t short on ego. I think he’s gonna try to wing it off the start, come to the realization he needs to rassle more and switch game plans.

You never know for sure what’s gonna happen but I like Mas in this, especially for the odds.

Is Mas’s boxing better than Colby’s? Colby looked a lot sharper when he fought Usman and still got dropped.

Masvidal has very awkward movement which might pose a problem for Usman. Against Diaz, Mas had no respect for his boxing and kept his hands a lot lower than usual. If Mas comes out like he did vs Till, I think he’ll pose a problem for Usman.

I can see Usman using his superior, full-camp cardio to break Jorge down with aggressive grappling for two to three rounds, then stand and bang in the championship rounds when Jorge is gassed and has two arms full of blood. Usman might even get the KO on the feet.

It’s going to be wall n stall all day. And maybe a few takedowns. Usman via 50-45 decision

Is Mas’s boxing better than Colby’s? Colby looked a lot sharper when he fought Usman and still got dropped.

Masvidal has very awkward movement which might pose a problem for Usman. Against Diaz, Mas had no respect for his boxing and kept his hands a lot lower than usual. If Mas comes out like he did vs Till, I think he’ll pose a problem for Usman.
Masvidal’s boxing is levels above Colby’s and Masvidal actually has power. If Colby had any power he would have knocked Usman out cold because he landed plenty of shots.

I think it’s fair to say that Usman’s standup is nowhere near Till’s, but Mas (though outstruck early) found a way to win that one.

I do think his stand up is far superior to Colby’s, his hands did look good in the Usman fight but I don’t think he did much with his feet to change angles and such.

He can mix it up. Masvidal isn't the KO artist everyone thinks. Any intelligent grappler with a working chin always beats him

He can mix it up. Masvidal isn't the KO artist everyone thinks. Any intelligent grappler with a working chin always beats him

8icpiEc.png

Nah, he may not be the wittiest talker but he's not dumb. He's never really done or said anything to make me suspect he has a huge ego (relative to other fighters)

I’d like to say Usman is smart enough to dance with the date that brought him but too often have we seen grapplers/wrestlers fall in love with their hands after a KO win and pay for it. We’ll see fight night but I think Marty already was planning on fighting in a phone booth with Burns (clinch/wall and stall/dirty boxing) and will deploy the same plan on Mas.

Usman seems relatively down-to-earth and calculated to me. Much more in the "competitor" mindset than the meathead mindset. Sort of a poor man's GSP overall.

I think he strikes to the extent he needs to pressure Masvidal against the cage to initiate takedowns.

Back