Media Dustin Poirier plans on retiring within 5 years

Willy Knuckles

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/7/...pens-up-on-the-realities-of-fighting-mma-news
“Like we were saying, I don’t know how many fights I have left,” Poirier told ESPN’s Ariel Helwani recently (transcript by MMA Fighting). “I still feel young, I still feel great, fresh, and I love what I do, but I do not want to continue for another five years, fighting fights like I just fought, because I don’t want to love this so much that it kills me"

Sounds like he wants to fight less frequently, and not for TOO much longer. I realize 5 years is not a short time exactly, but some fighters fight once a year closer to retirement. Who would you like to see Dustin face, knowing he's already eyeing retirement? And what do you think are some are the smartest fight Dustin should take towards the end of his career?

Good for him.

he seems much smarter than he leads on, and I respect that. He’s doing his own thing.

All jokes aside, hopefully he wont have much CTE (we’d be naive to think fighters don’t already have it, I just hope it doesn’t affect them poorly for the rest of their lives) or any other long term injuries for that matter

That's seems fair..
Could realistically get up to 10 fights in

It's good that he's making money and hopefully won't need to fight longer than that. Honestly, I think five years is generous--he's already had a ton of fights and I'd be surprised if he's still at the top of the division in 2 years let alone 5.

It's good that he's making money and hopefully won't need to fight longer than that. Honestly, I think five years is generous--he's already had a ton of fights and I'd be surprised of he's still at the top of the division in 2 years let alone 5.
I was thinking he should move up to WW for the last few years of his career. Some fun fights, like him vs Colby to make at WW

that would be awesome. its going to be tough to see if he starts declining though. he's had a few wars

I would love to see him fight Tony
Or a rematch with Mcgregor

He’s already cemented as one of the best 155lb fighters in the modern UFC era. Only thing that will hold him back is a McGregor rematch which McGregor will not even entertain that notion as that is one of Conors best wins and he wouldn’t want to ruin what fans perceive and use as one Conors best accomplishments as Poirier keeps cementing his legacy and career in mma which I find embarrassing on Conors part.

Fights like the one he had with Hooker take years off of a career.

I'm good with it, though hoping he fights more than once a year.

Man puts the Sho in Sho'nuff!

PO16DQG.gif

I'm good with it, though hoping he fights more than once a year.

Man puts the Sho in Sho'nuff!

PO16DQG.gif
That's what people don't realize though. He's talking about fighting less frequently and stopping within 5 years. He might only have 3-4 fights left, tops I see is like 7, and that's the very most I could see

Back