Easiest way to solve weightcutting - Don't let fighters get higher than 5% of the class

Regal Boy

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
California already does something similar, They weigh the fighters before they step into the octagon and they don't let fighters fight if their weight is over 20% higher than the weightclass. However even 20% is too high. Just make it 5% for every fight and if a fighter is over that, they lose part of the purse.

So if you're a guy who fights at 155, you can't come into the cage at higher than 162.75 pounds (round up to 163). Weightclasses may need to be changed to accommodate for this but what you'll end up with is fighters all being within ~5 pounds of each other and no one cutting any serious weight so there is no long term damage to organs and shrinking of the brain or any of that stuff.

Fighters will get to as close to the weightclass as possible and if they need to cut 2 or 3 pounds, then that's fine because they aren't getting any advantage whatsoever with that anyway. Two guys fighting at 155, one comes in at 154, the other 158, no big deal.

The way it is now though, fighters cut like 20 pounds just to fight other dudes who also cut 20 pounds when it could just be regulated and then they'd fight dudes their weight anyway. Fighters cut the weight to get a weight advantage but all that happens is they fight dudes their weight anyway, so now both fighters are performing a useless health threatening practice for no reason. I really don't get why weight-cutting is allowed when there are so many perfectly effective solutions to end it.

Either that or weigh ins a few hours before the fight

Might get fighters with bad cuts not adequately rehydrating and being prone to brain damage.

The hydration test that one does is the way to go, just need to be more open about it.

Yeah I've been saying this myself. If they make it so fighters aren't allowed to enter the cage if they aren't in the same weight class anymore on fight night then problem solved.

California already does something similar, They weigh the fighters before they step into the octagon and they don't let fighters fight if their weight is over 20% higher than the weightclass. However even 20% is too high. Just make it 5% for every fight and if a fighter is over that, they lose part of the purse.

So if you're a guy who fights at 155, you can't come into the cage at higher than 162.75 pounds (round up to 163). Weightclasses may need to be changed to accommodate for this but what you'll end up with is fighters all being within ~5 pounds of each other and no one cutting any serious weight so there is no long term damage to organs and shrinking of the brain or any of that stuff.

Fighters will get to as close to the weightclass as possible and if they need to cut 2 or 3 pounds, then that's fine because they aren't getting any advantage whatsoever with that anyway. Two guys fighting at 155, one comes in at 154, the other 158, no big deal.

The way it is now though, fighters cut like 20 pounds just to fight other dudes who also cut 20 pounds when it could just be regulated and then they'd fight dudes their weight anyway. Fighters cut the weight to get a weight advantage but all that happens is they fight dudes their weight anyway, so now both fighters are performing a useless health threatening practice for no reason. I really don't get why weight-cutting is allowed when there are so many perfectly effective solutions to end it.

Naw two weigh ins

One the day before and one 4 hours before the show starts and all fighters can not exceed 10lbs of there previous weigh in

Example..

Gsp weighs in at 170lbs ...he cant be more them 180lbs come second weigh in

Might get fighters with bad cuts not adequately rehydrating and being prone to brain damage.

The hydration test that one does is the way to go, just need to be more open about it.

Thats there fault...no body told them to dehydrate themselves that much they shouldnt be fight there if they cant properly rehydrate...thats why my idea of dual weigh in makes better sense

Weigh in the day before and weigh in the day of and u can not be more then 10lbs of your previous weight...fair and equal cant make it move up

The birth of the Flyweight division brought the insecure Manlets out

No i wnt people to fight in there real division's

If you cant make it move up...you know fight people your own size
If they make weight it’s all good .... not hard to spot the little people

I'm all for a way to control this issue but dont you think this has been discussed ?

Its the fight game - you make the weight, that's what u are. It is what it is.

This also puts another angle/ context / layer of p4p talk

Thats there fault...no body told them to dehydrate themselves that much they shouldnt be fight there if they cant properly rehydrate...thats why my idea of dual weigh in makes better sense

Weigh in the day before and weigh in the day of and u can not be more then 10lbs of your previous weight...fair and equal cant make it move up

I mean brain damage causing people to have potentially life threatening or changing brain damage. Wouldn't be good for the sport if that happened.

I mean brain damage causing people to have potentially life threatening or changing brain damage. Wouldn't be good for the sport if that happened.

Yeah..thats why the transition has to be done right and slowly..some new divisions could help the transitions as well but i dont think its necessary..

They don't want to solve anything, that's why never happened until today. Money involved, no news.

I'm all for a way to control this issue but dont you think this has been discussed ?

Its the fight game - you make the weight, that's what u are. It is what it is.

This also puts another angle/ context / layer of p4p talk
THe problem isn't the weight because the fighters are, and would be, and should be fighting dudes their weight.

The problem is the culture of weight cutting inevitably becomes one where fighters cause serious internal organ damage and shrink their brain and hurt their health just to fight dudes who are as heavy as them anyway. What ACTUALLY HAPPENS is two guys who are fighting at 170 both cut down from 190 so they're still the same weight in the cage but they both went through a stupid weight cut that did nothing but damage their bodies' organs and cells and shrink their brain, when they could have just both not cut the weight in the first place.

Weight cutting doesn't actually do anything but hurt the fighters' bodies.

Back