Most important base for HW?

ImNotMirsadBektic

NOT the future FW champ
@Blue
Reaction score
Most people say wrestling is the most important base for MMA, but I find wrestling to become less important, more taxing cardio wise and easier to defend as you go up the weight classes. Could it be that at HW boxing is more important than wrestling? As far as I've seen HW's simply can't shoot as fast as smaller fighters and thus TD's are easier to defend. Furthermore it is much more taxing on the body as big guys and big muscles require more oxygen, so normally you won't see heavyweights breaking the record of consecutive TD's or something.

Would the ideal HW fighter in theory be an Olympic freestyle wrestling gold medalist who starts cross training or a professional high ranked boxer who starts cross training? Personally I think it's the latter. Look at Ngannou. With his iron chin and nuke bomb hands he has already beaten the best or second best wrestler in the division (Blaydes), imagine what a boxer with similar power to Ngannou, but better cardio, footwork, head movement and reaction speed would do. I think a guy like Anthony Joshua crossing over to MMA in his early 20's could become a more dangerous fighter than someone like Taha Akgül doing the same.

Thoughts?

maxresdefault-2-19-740x416.jpg

wrestling-world-championships-paris-france-shutterstock-editorial-9026951x.jpg

There's a good chance Ngannou would spark Joshua on the feet

AJ gets rocked all the time in 10oz gloves; now imagine Ngannou landing semi-clean on him in MMA gloves.

HW boxers would need to do some squats before they came to MMA, those dudes got some chicken legs.
weird homo comment. size is legs have little to do with fighting performance. Jones has some of the skinniest legs in mma and fairs well.

DC disagrees with everything you said. I think he knows.

weird homo comment. size is legs have little to do with fighting performance. Jones has some of the skinniest legs in mma and fairs well.

At LHW where he has other physical advantages because of that, yes.

DC disagrees with everything you said. I think he knows.

He lost to a college and a high school wrestler, both beat him in the stand up. That doesn't really proof your point lol.

At LHW where he has other physical advantages because of that, yes.
cormier outweighs jones at lhw . size matters in wrestling.,. thanks for agreeing jon has great wrestling skills

Most people say wrestling is the most important base for MMA, but I find wrestling to become less important, more taxing cardio wise and easier to defend as you go up the weight classes. Could it be that at HW boxing is more important than wrestling? As far as I've seen HW's simply can't shoot as fast as smaller fighters and thus TD's are easier to defend. Furthermore it is much more taxing on the body as big guys and big muscles require more oxygen, so normally you won't see heavyweights breaking the record of consecutive TD's or something.

Would the ideal HW fighter in theory be an Olympic freestyle wrestling gold medalist who starts cross training or a professional high ranked boxer who starts cross training? Personally I think it's the latter. Look at Ngannou. With his iron chin and nuke bomb hands he has already beaten the best or second best wrestler in the division (Blaydes), imagine what a boxer with similar power to Ngannou, but better cardio, footwork, head movement and reaction speed would do. I think a guy like Anthony Joshua crossing over to MMA in his early 20's could become a more dangerous fighter than someone like Taha Akgül doing the same.

Thoughts?

maxresdefault-2-19-740x416.jpg

wrestling-world-championships-paris-france-shutterstock-editorial-9026951x.jpg

But Ngannou would also lose to DC & has lost convincingly to Stipe

Back