Thoughts on ESPN+ prices going up?

KevinLee

✮ ✮ RICH KING LIVING IN JEI'S HEAD✮ ✮
@Brown
Reaction score
507329684.jpg.0.jpg

ESPN+, the home for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) pay-per-view (PPV) events, as well as select “Fight Night” cards, will introduce a price increase for all new monthly subscribers beginning August 2020, according to a report from The Verge. What is now $4.99/mo. will jump to $5.99/mo., though it should be noted the annual membership price of $49.99 will remain the same for those sports fans unafraid of commitment. In addition, existing subscribers already on the monthly payment plan will retain the $4.99 rate for an additional year before switching over to the increased rate.

Here is my reaction. I dont pay for that shit anyways. I do my best not to put a penny in Dana White's greedy pockets. I stream everything!

Literally all over-the-top streaming services have had price increases. Often times price increases coinciding with less content and less features even. Sports content is significantly fractured across so many television and streaming services that I literally do not watching anything anymore. I used to work for ESPN during its height when Disney purchased us and we covered every sport evenly without politics or tabloid level journalism. ESPN was a destination for most sports coverage. The office was an extremely serious place to be and there were literally world class reporters breaking stories about steroids, gambling, teams moving cities, and so on.

Now? I literally stopped watching all sports coverage once the TMZ style reporting and political garbage entered into the conversation. And now requiring so many streaming services to watch what used to be centralized on cable or even on broadcast over the air. PPV purchases on top of that when you pay a subscription. And the PPV events being so loaded with advertisements it is almost ludicrous at this point. Why bother doing anything but streaming or just downloading the even to watch later?

Satellite radio is a graveyard of dead shows because of podcasts. Subscription services will be a wasteland in probably under a decade. PPV and subscription content that is loaded with advertisements is a near extinct model that almost no one uses anymore besides combat sports. Imagine if HBO had commercials every two or three minutes and in show advertisements like UFC PPVs. Would anyone pay for it? Subscribe to HBO and then pay another premium for the new season of each show?

And this probably has nothing to do with Dana nor the UFC. This comes from the idiots at Disney.

Doesn't bother me, I have only paid for maybe 5 PPVs that were worth it, and streamed every single PPV in-between.

Won't come out of my pocket. Amazes me in this day & age of the internet with high quality streams why anyone ever pays for a broken system like PPVs are, especially when quality isn't up to par.

<Fedor23>

Doesn't bother me, I have only paid for maybe 5 PPVs that were worth it, and streamed every single PPV in-between.

Won't come out of my pocket. Amazes me in this day & age of the internet with high quality streams why anyone ever pays for a broken system like PPVs are, especially when quality isn't up to par.

<Fedor23>
tenor.gif

Literally all over-the-top streaming services have had price increases. Often times price increases coinciding with less content and less features even. Sports content is significantly fractured across so many television and streaming services that I literally do not watching anything anymore. I used to work for ESPN during its height when Disney purchased us and we covered every sport evenly without politics or tabloid level journalism. ESPN was a destination for most sports coverage. The office was an extremely serious place to be and there were literally world class reporters breaking stories about steroids, gambling, teams moving cities, and so on.

Now? I literally stopped watching all sports coverage once the TMZ style reporting and political garbage entered into the conversation. And now requiring so many streaming services to watch what used to be centralized on cable or even on broadcast over the air. PPV purchases on top of that when you pay a subscription. And the PPV events being so loaded with advertisements it is almost ludicrous at this point. Why bother doing anything but streaming or just downloading the even to watch later?

Satellite radio is a graveyard of dead shows because of podcasts. Subscription services will be a wasteland in probably under a decade. PPV and subscription content that is loaded with advertisements is a near extinct model that almost no one uses anymore besides combat sports. Imagine if HBO had commercials every two or three minutes and in show advertisements like UFC PPVs. Would anyone pay for it? Subscribe to HBO and then pay another premium for the new season of each show?

And this probably has nothing to do with Dana nor the UFC. This comes from the idiots at Disney.
Hey, you would know better then, is this video an accurate assessment?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back