Overrated -Underrated Aspects of a Fighters Game

GoshiShun17

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Please choose one fighter from the present or the past. Name one part of their fighting game that you feel is overrated and another part of their game that you believe may be underrated.

For me, I'll say Paulo Costa's power is overrated. Not saying he isn't a brute and strong as shit. But you hear people often describe him as though if he connects on you once it's a wrap when this is not the case. He throws heavy shots and heavy volume. But he's not sleeping people one shot style. At least not with head shots, like Jeremy Stephen's or Rumble Johnson, or Francis.

I think his technical abilities may be underrated by some. He obviously has great body work. Cuts off the cage well. Solid striking, even though he throws mostly power shots. But he is trying to get you out ASAP.

Overrated

-Khabib's tiramisu eating; yeah sure he eats a lot of tiramisu, but if he was really good at it he'd be fighting at HW.

Underrated

-Jones' driving skills; sure he's had a ton of motor vehicle accidents and incidents, but think of all the times he's driven and not had any problems with the law.

Izzy's striking might be overrated, at least defensively. He got tagged by Gas, Whittaker and even Romero

The flip-side to that is his chin is probably underrated. For those who think Costa has a puncher's chase -- he might not even have that if Izzy's chin holds up

Khabib - Overrated: His resume only. his in octogon performances are stellar. It's just there are some opponents i would have really liked to see him fight on the way up. mostly Diaz (to see how he deals with great bottom game), Benson Henderson (well rounded good cardio, better striking) and eddie alverez. A lot of the guys he's fought are tailor-made to lose to him. and those are some of his best wins (RDA, Barboza and conor)

Khabib - underrrated: His striking. Seems to be effective against everyone he fights. his defense is also not bad either.

Izzy's striking might be overrated, at least defensively. He got tagged by Gas, Whittaker and even Romero

The flip-side to that is his chin is probably underrated. For those who think Costa has a puncher's chase -- he might not even have that if Izzy's chin holds up
I think in this case(s) people underestimate how much of a difference the wrestling threat of Gas and Romero makes!

Strikers rarely look good against fast wrestlers who can strike!

Hendo-

Overrated - Fighting ability. Dude was just good, not great, and would have gone down as the most overrated fighter in history if not for coming the UFC during the TRT era. People forget how awful he was in pride, probably the most BS Split decision wins of any 'elite' fighter.

Longevity - TRT aside, what a fucking animal to fight that long, and in the wars he has been in. Straight insane, probably the most 'tough' fighter in MMA history.

Good thread, TS.

I think in this case(s) people underestimate how much of a difference the wrestling threat of Gas and Romero makes!

Strikers rarely look good against fast wrestlers who can strike!
This is definitely not the point. Now, if were wrestlers who can take you down and try it at every single good opportunity, like Weidman for instance, you could say that.

Khabib - Overrated: His resume only. his in octogon performances are stellar. It's just there are some opponents i would have really liked to see him fight on the way up. mostly Diaz (to see how he deals with great bottom game), Benson Henderson (well rounded good cardio, better striking) and eddie alverez. A lot of the guys he's fought are tailor-made to lose to him. and those are some of his best wins (RDA, Barboza and conor)

Khabib - underrrated: His striking. Seems to be effective against everyone he fights. his defense is also not bad either.
Dont forget that Dustin beats a lot of good guys including the guy that will challenge for the belt against Khabib in September

Hendo-

Overrated - Fighting ability. Dude was just good, not great, and would have gone down as the most overrated fighter in history if not for coming the UFC during the TRT era. People forget how awful he was in pride, probably the most BS Split decision wins of any 'elite' fighter.

Longevity - TRT aside, what a fucking animal to fight that long, and in the wars he has been in. Straight insane, probably the most 'tough' fighter in MMA history.
i think that's why he's so lauded. he's a mans man, a fighters fighter.

Dont forget that Dustin beats a lot of good guys including the guy that will challenge for the belt against Khabib in September
i agree that's why i left dustin out. it's his first truly great win.

Hendo-

STFU you clown.

In a time where the word “Legend” is way overused....HENDO IS AN ABSOLUTE LEGEND & one of the all time greats.

Now, Overrated is someone like Tito “Jacob” Ortiz. A joke who gets credit from jokers (who like flaming shorts) for beating up much smaller guys and old men.

So.. Prime RDA isn't a truly great win.

<WhatIsThis>

No. It wasn't at the height of RDA's career. If RDA never went on to fight for and win the title we wouldn't bring this win up. it's a solid win that hindsight makes look amazing.

He has beaten Barboza and Porier at their absolute career peaks.

It's the same reason ryo chonan and jared cannonier don't get the same acknowledgement as Weidman for beating silva. Or conor beating max.

STFU you clown.

In a time where the word “Legend” is way overused....HENDO IS AN ABSOLUTE LEGEND & one of the all time greats.

Now, Overrated is someone like Tito “Jacob” Ortiz. A joke who gets credit from jokers (who like flaming shorts) for beating up much smaller guys and old men.
Get lost, fucking dork. You just started watching MMA.

No. It wasn't at the height of RDA's career. If RDA never went on to fight for and win the title we wouldn't bring this win up. it's a solid win that hindsight makes look amazing.

He has beaten Barboza and Porier at their absolute career peaks.

It's the same reason ryo chonan and jared cannonier don't get the same acknowledgement as Weidman for beating silva. Or conor beating max.
RDA would win the LW title only 11 months after he fought Khabib.. finish Benson Henderson only 5 months after he fought Khabib. He absolutely was in the prime of his career..

Your comparison with Conor beating Max, or Cannonier beating Silva is frankly ridiculous.. Holloway reached his peak at FW, 3-4 years after he fought Conor.. Silva fought Jared 6 years after he had lost to the title to Weidman, and at that point he was 1-6 in his last 7..

How is that comparable to RDA who literally in the span of less than 12 months after he fought Khabib, knocked out Benson Henderson and dominated Pettis to win the title..

Last edited:
Hendo was mentioned. Underrated IMO. OG double champ. Unfortunately he came to the UFC from Pride when Silva (top 4 GOAT) and prime Rampage (also underrated) were champs

Good thread, TS.

This is definitely not the point. Now, if were wrestlers who can take you down and try it at every single good opportunity, like Weidman for instance, you could say that.
Of course neither Gastelum nor Romero are as good of MMA-wrestlers as a prime Weidman was, but on the other hand, they're much better strikers and they're way faster as well.

Of course neither Gastelum nor Romero are as good of MMA-wrestlers as a prime Weidman was, but on the other hand, they're much better strikers and they're way faster as well.
Yes, but you was putting the word "wrestlers" to focus at it, no? Because we all know wrestlers who can strike are difficult to deal by just strikers (Anderson Silva could say it against Chael, for instance). I mean, they being good strikers doesn't change the fact they are not wrestlers who risk everything trying to take you down every single time, like an Weidman for instance. This changes everything. Adesanya could show his good striking with "ease" and, despite this, it was very hittable against a midget from below division. I mean...

Yes, but you was putting the word "wrestlers" to focus at it, no? Because we all know wrestlers who can strike are difficult to deal by just strikers (Anderson Silva could say it against Chael, for instance). I mean, they being good strikers doesn't change the fact they are not wrestlers who risk everything trying to take you down every single time, like an Weidman for instance. This changes everything. Adesanya could show his good striking with "ease" and, despite this, it was very hittable against a midget from below division. I mean...
I find it a bit hard to follow you right now (no offense) but what i initially wanted to say:

because of the fact that Gastelum and Romero can wrestle, strike and are fast, Israel had at times trouble dealing with them.

Weidman could hurt Silva because his MMA wrestling was great and despite the fact that his striking wasn't elite by any means (although it was servicable).
Now as mentioned, Gas and Yoel are not as good at taking or holding people down, but they're far better on the feet than Weidman was.

A duel threat is something even the best strikers have and will always struggle with.

As for Gastelum having moved up from welterweight: this was to his advantage against Izzy, as his comparably "small" size enabled the already fast Gastelum to be even quicker at middleweight.

It was the same with Whittaker moving up - once he was at middleweight, he was really fast, compared to the other guys in his (new) division.

Back