Dana White responds to Jorge Masvidal: 'I think everybody wants more money'

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020...jorge-masvidal-everybody-wants-more-money-ufc

At a news conference held not long after later, MMA Junkie asked White what his response was to Masvidal’s claims of disrespect and lowballing. White took particular exception with Masvidal’s criticism of the UFC “buying” an island instead of paying their fighters adequately.

“I think everybody wants more money,” White said. “I think everybody wants more money in all these other sports. Masvidal says, ‘You’ve got enough money to buy islands.’ Let me repeat for the (expletive) billionth time: I did not buy an island, OK? We did not buy an island.

“The reason we’re doing the (‘Fight) Island’ is so that fights can go and these kids from Europe and the rest of the world can make money and can work. I think a lot of people are really frustrated and confused – or whatever the situation is right now.”

As his lengthy response progressed, White focused on his fighters’ independent contractor status. Whether a fighter is a champion or making his debut, White reiterated that no fighter is being forced to compete.

“Anybody that doesn’t want to fight doesn’t have to fight, including Masvidal and Jon Jones and all these other guys,” White said. “It doesn’t have to be because of the pandemic. These guys are independent contractors. This isn’t like the NFL where I can make you: ‘You come to practice and you do this or you’re going to get fined or you’re going to get this.’ These guys can do whatever they want. They can say whatever they want.

“… We’re not begging people to fight. We’re offering fights because in our contract, I have to give you three fights a year. You have the ability to turn them down and not take them.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020...jorge-masvidal-everybody-wants-more-money-ufc

At a news conference held not long after later, MMA Junkie asked White what his response was to Masvidal’s claims of disrespect and lowballing. White took particular exception with Masvidal’s criticism of the UFC “buying” an island instead of paying their fighters adequately.

“I think everybody wants more money,” White said. “I think everybody wants more money in all these other sports. Masvidal says, ‘You’ve got enough money to buy islands.’ Let me repeat for the (expletive) billionth time: I did not buy an island, OK? We did not buy an island.

“The reason we’re doing the (‘Fight) Island’ is so that fights can go and these kids from Europe and the rest of the world can make money and can work. I think a lot of people are really frustrated and confused – or whatever the situation is right now.”

As his lengthy response progressed, White focused on his fighters’ independent contractor status. Whether a fighter is a champion or making his debut, White reiterated that no fighter is being forced to compete.

“Anybody that doesn’t want to fight doesn’t have to fight, including Masvidal and Jon Jones and all these other guys,” White said. “It doesn’t have to be because of the pandemic. These guys are independent contractors. This isn’t like the NFL where I can make you: ‘You come to practice and you do this or you’re going to get fined or you’re going to get this.’ These guys can do whatever they want. They can say whatever they want.

“… We’re not begging people to fight. We’re offering fights because in our contract, I have to give you three fights a year. You have the ability to turn them down and not take them.”

TBH salaries quite raised.

Dana acting like he’s doesn’t need these guys and their big names either, thats BS. The UFC has not reached the point yet where it can get by and grow on the company name alone, it still needs it’s stars.

Be honest, how many of you watch every card that’s put out, do you really tune in for the duds? Cause I don’t, until a fighter proves themselves I don’t give a shit honestly, I’m either Interested in big names or hot prospects.

Last edited:
Yeah

Especially Dana White wants more money

He’s right. So why don’t these fighters just say fuck it, we’re going somewhere else. Oh yeah because it ain’t that easy I guess

What is the point of contracts, if a fighter wants to negotiate for new pay after every fight when they're doing well. If they start losing fights, i'd like to see how they'd react when the UFC tries lowballing their contracted pay.

Dana acting like he’s doesn’t need these guys and their big names either, that BS. The UFC has not reached the point yet where it can get but on grow on the company alone, it still needs its stars.

Be honest, how many of you watch every card that’s put out, do you really tune in for the duds? Cause I don’t, until a fighter proves themselves I don’t give a shot honestly, I’m either Interested in big names or hot prospects.
Only a bad business man would give their employees more money when they ask for it.

It would be great if all the top UFC fighters said FU Dana and refused to fight until they were paid fair market value

They should just start a fighter's union but it seems pretty much impossible in the sport

Translation: "The snow for my driveway won't be cheap this year."

DizzyFloweryKakarikis-size_restricted.gif

Jorge has go a from a drama free street fighter type of guy to a twitter queen in a matter of months

dude deserves to get paid though. Even if he’s scared of Marty

Only a bad business man would give their employees more money when they ask for it.

This isn’t the NFL, the sport is still niche. Dana and comp still relies on their fighters and names, and if that’s the case then he should pay them what they are worth.

Dana acting like he’s doesn’t need these guys and their big names either, thats BS. The UFC has not reached the point yet where it can get buy and grow on the company name alone, it still needs it’s stars.

Be honest, how many of you watch every card that’s put out, do you really tune in for the duds? Cause I don’t, until a fighter proves themselves I don’t give a shit honestly, I’m either Interested in big names or hot prospects.

You are completely off. The overwhelming majority of fight fans can not name any more than a dozen or so fighters. The UFC brand draws in fighters more so than any fight not named Conor Mcgregor

Dana actually sounding reasonable here

As soon as Jorge gets released he’d probably get a good paying offer from boxing. He’d likely lose but he would get paid for sure.

Back