How did it affect Dana's wallet when he brought USADA in?

Misanthropist

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Did it hurt Dana's wallet when he brought USADA in because it ruined the careers of so many great and popular fighters who was able to generate huge revenues for the UFC?

I don't understand how Dana was perfectly ok with USADA cleaning the roster up and changing how fighters perform today where they're more concerned about their cardio in the first round which completely ruined the excitement of the fight. If the small MMA fanbase are pissed about it, can you imagine how the millions of casuals feel and how they would not look back to watching?

First thing people (not hardcore fans) expect when watching UFC are fast paced fights and fighters who are big, strong and explosive. Viewership would go off the roof if they see a yolked Heavyweight fighting against each other. The same for big named Brazilian fighters and so on when the hype was real. Not the garbage we see today.

Out of all division, they're more likely to tune in Heavyweights, Light Heavyweight and Middleweight in that order. Today, they'd scoff and immediately switch to ball sports when they see the incredibly slow paced and flabbies hugfesting each other just like Ivanov against Sakai.

If Dana really cared about viewership, he'd get rid of USADA.

Last edited:
I doubt it affected HIS wallet at all.

But, as far as the UFC goes. It probably helped them get into NY. And that seems to be where a lot of the biggest fights now take place.

Dana doesn't call the shots. Fertitta's got USADA, sold it as this clean league for 4 billion and left with the loot

TLDR; Fertitta's conned WME

Lorenzo-and-Frank-Fertitta-1200x891.jpg

Actually probably worked well for Dana's wallet
UFC is paying the costs of the program.

Did it hurt Dana's wallet when he brought USADA in because it ruined the careers of so many great and popular fighters who was able to generate huge revenues for the UFC?

I don't understand how Dana was perfectly ok with USADA cleaning the roster up and changing how fighters perform today where they're more concerned about their cardio in the first round which completely ruined the excitement of the fight. If the small MMA fanbase are pissed about it, can you imagine how the millions of casuals feel and how they would not look back to watching?

First thing people (not hardcore fans) expect when watching UFC are fast paced fights and fighters who are big, strong and explosive. Viewership would go off the roof if they see a yolked Heavyweight fighting against each other. The same for big named Brazilian fighters and so on when the hype was real. Not the garbage we see today.

Out of all division, they're more likely to tune in Heavyweights, Light Heavyweight and Middleweight in that order. Today, they'd scoff and immediately switch to ball sports when they see the incredibly slow paced and flabbies hugfesting each other just like Ivanov against Sakai.

You are not talking for all hardcore fans . i would actually say the opposite. real hardcore fans doesnt need the brawls to be happy.

taxes and main stream appeal. although usada has been a pain the the ass and caused some unnecessary issues they want them around or some kind of organization to help them appear more like a legit sport.

It was all a ploy to get the UFC sanctioned in certain strtegic states that generate big revenue like NY. But i believe it bit WME on the ass and they regret the move. Pre USADA where the glory days of super agressive and musclebound hws throwing big leather. Now we get 2 flabby bags of potatoes swinging sloppy haymakers and gassing after 3 minutes of action.

It was all a ploy to get the UFC sanctioned in certain strtegic states that generate big revenue like NY. But i believe it bit WME on the ass and they regret the move. Pre USADA where the glory days of super agressive and musclebound hws throwing big leather. Now we get 2 flabby bags of potatoes swinging sloppy haymakers and gassing after 3 minutes of action.
This. I think most people thought that USADA would only improve the sport. In reality, it's been a disaster.

It didn't hurt at all. Dana has been riding high. In the eyes of whoever it got a tad bit more legitimacy. They sale was huge and Dana turns around and is able to get shares in. Then rides that momentum into the ESPN deal which was a game changer for the UFC. Dana is more than pleased with how things have gone.

This. I think most people thought that USADA would only improve the sport. In reality, it's been a disaster.
It didn't impact the results of fights all that much.
screenshot-www-ufc-secrets-com-2020-06-05-12-13-27.png

USADA testing began in 2015 and the finish percentage stayed the same. There is that weird dip at the end of 2018 that I can't explain, but it's probably from the increase of WMMA rather than a result of stricter testing.

For the most part, the worst byproduct of testing is the proliferation of dadbods in the upper weight divisions.

I miss the pre Usada days
I would prefer that all fighters are clean. However, I hate that USADA has created a two tier system... the biggest PPV stars can abuse PEDs and be protected, while your average fighter cannot.

At least the old system was fair to everyone.

Plus, now you have fighters hiding in russia and thailand to juice while they train, where USADA almost certainly wont go..

If selling the UFC for 4 billion is hurting anyone's pocket bring in 20 USADA's.

It must've been costly to bring in Usada for their tampering, the under the table money the golden snitch must make is probably up there in the millions.

That Jon Jones' scandal yellow envelope money mustve paid off his son's college tuition lol

I doubt it affected HIS wallet at all.

But, as far as the UFC goes. It probably helped them get into NY. And that seems to be where a lot of the biggest fights now take place.
It was an arrest of a particular NY assemblyman that got the UFC in NY

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back