UFC, Bellator "Vet"

MMAProfessional

Golden Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Why does Sherdog always post people as UFC/Bellator vets? In my mind that is someone who spend a long period in the organization. Danilo Belluardo (who the hell is even that) fought in the UFC twice last year and Bellator once in 2016. He fought in Venator 5 times so if anything he's a Venator vet.

I think it's quite obvious in the fact that UFC/Bellator are the big organizations and have much more name recognition and clout. If you've fought in the UFC before, you're technically a UFC vet, and will likely be referred to as such.

Yeah and Vitor Belfort is a “former LHW champ.”

it’s marketing bruh.

I think it’s fine to point out that someone made it to the pinnacle of the sport.

If you play triple A ball in Kalamazoo but get called up to play a couple games in the Majors you will refer to yourself as an ex-major leaguer for the rest of your life.

That's how that works.

They probably write it because it's factually accurate and journalistically appropriate. Just my guess.

giphy.gif

I get why it's weird when they've fought in a promotion like once (based on what we usually associate "veteran" with), but being on the roster and fighting seems pretty to much be the requirement.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it possible to be considered a military veteran even if you didn't manage to finish basic training? Maybe there's a similar thought process there. As long as you were in the promotion and performed, you're a vet.

They probably write it because it's factually accurate and journalistically appropriate. Just my guess.
Also this.

Yeah and Vitor Belfort is a “former LHW champ.”

it’s marketing bruh.

Actually, Vitor Belfort is the former UFC Light Heavyweight World Champion.

Matt Serra is the former UFC Welterweight World Champion.

Those are all facts.

Chael Sonnen often said that he didn't care if he ever defended the UFC Middleweight World Championship. Sonnen only cared if he CAPTURED the UFC Middleweight World Championship.

Chael Sonnen: "All I care about is if I am World Champion for ONE NIGHT. I'm not even thinking about what happens after I win the title."

Actually, Vitor Belfort is the former UFC Light Heavyweight World Champion.

Matt Serra is the former UFC Welterweight World Champion.

Those are all facts.

Chael Sonnen often said that he didn't care if he ever defended the UFC Middleweight World Championship. Sonnen only cared if he CAPTURED the UFC Middleweight World Championship.

Chael Sonnen: "All I care about is if I am World Champion for ONE NIGHT. I'm not even thinking about what happens after I win the title."

Did you actually watch Couture v Belfort 2?

Did you actually watch Couture v Belfort 2?

All three of the MMA fights between Couture and Belfort were so many years ago that I can barely remember them.

If memory serves, someone who was in some type of corner accidentally overlooked one of the wrapping tapes on one of the MMA gloves.

As Couture advanced in order to initiate a clinch, Belfort wanted to punch him and Belfort's stray wrapping tape just so happened to graze one of Couture's eyes and made a considerable cut. Yes, the doctors and everyone else stopped the MMA fight and decided that it was a TKO (Cut).

Nowadays, we know that Couture is 2-1 against Belfort. It seems like you're implying that St-Pierre vs. Serra 1 at UFC 69 was way closer to an actual win for Serra. If that is what you are implying, I would agree with you.

In the year 2007, Serra repeatedly caught St-Pierre and he kept damaging him until he forced the referee to stop the MMA fight. Obviously, everyone on Sherdog has seen the infamous gif of St-Pierre admitting that he got caught by tapping out at the exact same second that the referee started to sprint into the fray.

In MMA fights and Boxing fights, there's always the risk of controversial decisions. Many of the fans of Nathan Diaz think that it's controversial that the doctors and the New York State Athletic Commission stopped the MMA fight between Jorge Masvidal and Nathan Diaz.

Many of the fans of Nathan Diaz say that he always turns up the heat in Round 3, Round 4, and Round 5 (especially the latter two). Regardless, the MMA fight was stopped and it was decided that Masvidal won the encounter and the UFC BMF Championship (for whatever that's worth).

In conclusion, I would say yes, I consider Vitor Belfort to be the former UFC Light Heavyweight World Champion (with 0 title defences).

I also consider St-Pierre to be 1-1 against Serra.

Furthermore, I consider Jorge Masvidal to be 1-0 against Nathan Diaz.

All three of the MMA fights between Couture and Belfort were so many years ago that I can barely remember them.

If memory serves, someone who was in some type of corner accidentally overlooked one of the wrapping tapes on one of the MMA gloves.

As Couture advanced in order to initiate a clinch, Belfort wanted to punch him and Belfort's stray wrapping tape just so happened to graze one of Couture's eyes and made a considerable cut. Yes, the doctors and everyone else stopped the MMA fight and decided that it was a TKO (Cut).

Nowadays, we know that Couture is 2-1 against Belfort. It seems like you're implying that St-Pierre vs. Serra 1 at UFC 69 was way closer to an actual win for Serra. If that is what you are implying, I would agree with you.

In the year 2007, Serra repeatedly caught St-Pierre and he kept damaging him until he forced the referee to stop the MMA fight. Obviously, everyone on Sherdog has seen the infamous gif of St-Pierre admitting that he got caught by tapping out at the exact same second that the referee started to sprint into the fray.

In MMA fights and Boxing fights, there's always the risk of controversial decisions. Many of the fans of Nathan Diaz think that it's controversial that the doctors and the New York State Athletic Commission stopped the MMA fight between Jorge Masvidal and Nathan Diaz.

Many of the fans of Nathan Diaz say that he always turns up the heat in Round 3, Round 4, and Round 5 (especially the latter two). Regardless, the MMA fight was stopped and it was decided that Masvidal won the encounter and the UFC BMF Championship (for whatever that's worth).

In conclusion, I would say yes, I consider Vitor Belfort to be the former UFC Light Heavyweight World Champion (with 0 title defences).

I also consider St-Pierre to be 1-1 against Serra.

Furthermore, I consider Jorge Masvidal to be 1-0 against Nathan Diaz.

Even within facts, the devil is in the details.

Jon Jones v. Matt Hamill
Fedor v. TK 1

Even within facts, the devil is in the details.

Jon Jones v. Matt Hamill
Fedor v. TK 1

I consider Matt Hamill to be 1-0 against Jon Jones. Yes, I watched the whole MMA fight.

I consider Tsuyoshi Kosaka to be 1-1 against Fyodor Emelianenko. I only watched the first MMA fight which was a part of a tournament that RINGS organized.

I consider Montell Griffin to be 1-1 against Roy Jones Jr.

I consider Pacquiao to be 2-1 against Bradley.

Obviously, the details are extremely important (like you said). That's why everyone has to watch the MMA fights and the Boxing fights.

I wish a Sherdog vet would come along and put down the malformed beast in your av

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back