UFC 251 Main Event?

ChinaMMABlog

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So, we're about 5 weeks away from UFC 251 and there's still no main event. Any thoughts on who it could be?

For the longest time, it looked like it would be Usman vs. Masvidal, but that deal seems to have stalled. But what are the other options?

Is it possible that UFC does 251 on Fight Island? Could this finally be the time for Adesanya vs. Costa? Zhang Weili is also available, but she's not ready to headline a PPV. And who would she fight anyway?

Stipe is out. Jones is out. Khabib will fight Gaethje in the fall. Perhaps Volkanovski vs. Holloway 2, but that doesn't feel like a big headliner. There's also Yan vs. Aldo, which is a great fight, but won't sell. And then Benavidez vs. Figueiredo are booked for July 18.

Seems like the UFC has a main event problem right now, after the year began with so much promise.

Maybe Masvidal vs. Diaz 2 really can save the UFC's summer. Unless McGregor wants to fight the Diaz trilogy.

Weili just got back to China about a month ago. You can’t seriously expect her to headline 5 weeks from now, and against whom? So why even mention her?

It’s time for some of the high priced talent to step up. Or they can continue to talk on twitter.

I'm thinking it'll be Usman or Masvidal or Covington or maybe even Edwards. I feel likely a 170lbs fight, some combo of those dudes.

The other possibility I think is McGregor vs Nate Diaz VIII. Not that this fight would be interesting or relevant at all, but it's just an easy fight for UFC to put on, assuming McGregor's massive ego can take the fact that there won't be anyone cheering for him in the arena. He can't in fact.....so that fight is unlikely to be happening until crowds are back.

Last edited:
It has to be one or two of these 4.

MIddleweight title fight
Welterweight title fight
Bantamweight title fight
Featherweight title fight

Not sure if Burns could do a quick turn-around.. but Usman vs Burns would really help make the card deliver.

I don't like that fight. I still consider Burns third in line behind Masvidal and Edwards. But understanding the new logistics of booking, I can see how this might be an option.

Not sure if Burns could do a quick turn-around.. but Usman vs Burns would really help make the card deliver.
I think he can he barely took damage in the fight and he even said so in his post fight interview that he would be ready by jully

coulda sworn they said it was minor and shed be back in no time
Very possible, I don’t know what the injury is. I had just heard that she was on the shelf.

Back