News Carla Esparza vs Marina Rodriguez, July 25th

Who wins?

• Total voters

Ares Black

Asteroid Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://m.sherdog.com/news/news/Car...odriguez-on-July-15-Wednesday-UFC-Card-173234

UFC-Fight-Night-Jacare-v-Hermansson-0a6c327573b07a4b5407c3175d082419.jpg

960x0.jpg

Classic grappler vs striker matchup in the Strawweight shark tank.

Esparza is the former champion, Rodriguez is the blue-chip prospect.

I am really high on Rodriguez, and I think she deserved the win over Calvillo in her last fight. Esparza is a tough fight matchup for her, but a win would go a long way in establishing her as a legitimate contender.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
rodriguez looks familiar, i know i've seen her fight, but have to admit i barely remember it.

Marina is good at beating people up from close range against the fence, which is exactly what Joanna did to Esparza.

I like Marina here. She doesn’t seem easy to take down and she has the striking advantage for sure (even though Carla improved in that dimension). Rogriguez’s issue against Calvillo is that once Calvillo gets you down, she typically dominates the fight. I think Esparza would be less offensively potent from the guard and that she would still wind up losing a decision despite securing top position intermittently through the fight.

then again, Rodriguez also drew with Randa who is good but not top shelf. Someone will have to remind me of how that fight played out.

The more I think about this fight, the more I am leaning towards a Rodriguez blowout win.

She is too big and a very aggressive striker. She dominated the much bigger Cynthia Calvillo for two rounds, I think she can overwhelm and finish Esparza.

Signature win for Rodriguez, TKO Rd2.

If there is any sense in the world Marina should absolutely dominate this fight.

Stylistic nightmare matchup for Esparza.

Then again, I said the same thing about Waterson.

Still, Esparza had nothing for Waterson in the final 2 rounds of their bout and Waterson was able to shrug off all but one takedown attempt. Esparza essential won simply because Waterson simply did less (and even that is debatable).

I don’t see Rodriguez being as passive as Waterson was and she will make it apparent who the better fighter standing is en route to a clear decision win.

Rooting for Esparza, as always, and I hope she proves me wrong, but I just don’t see it happening.

Last edited:
For the record, this is the first poll I have ever made on Sherdog!

I think Rodriguez is long enough to keep Carla away from her. Anybody with good striking, and really good tdd has a really good shot against Carla.

Marina wins.
Rodriguez doesn’t have really good TKD defense though. It’s not very good, in fact.

Back