Does anyone recall Wonderboy landing any real clean shots on Woodley

The only real shot I remember in both their fights was this Tyron blast.

ca5f69ee0b925f1a3b787c0b095d8eed.jpg

Wonderboy fought southpaw against Wood n was way too afraid of takedown threat.
He was afraid of that counter as well. Twas a frustrating fight to watch because I believed there were clear openings for both gentlemen.

I believe that is the difference between this fight and Adesanya vs. Romero.

Honestly, both fights were bad and had very little significant strikes landed. The 2nd fight was the worst title defense in UFC history. Both guys were hesitant to engage.
Revisionist. Everyone loved the first fight, were gutted by the decision, but knew it was a genuine draw and everyone was clamoring for a rematch. The rematch stunk so bad, people went back and pretended the first fight sucked too.

Problem with both fights is that it highlights the poor state of scoring. By all accounts, Thompson won 3 rounds in both fights, it's just that he edged all 6 of those rounds 55-45 ish, while Woodley blasted him and either won 10-8's or borderlined them each time. But yes, Wonderboy did hit Woodley clean, multiple times, but nothing to my memory that left him rocked or wobbled at all. Wonderboy was too conscious of the threat of both Woodley's takedowns and his power.

I mean, if we're really asking, and not just asking leading questions about Wonderboy's substandard performance?

Here he is setting up some low-highs.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Which pay off with a shot later and baits a strike for a counter
giphy.gif

Mostly played a lot of in and out
giphy.gif

More counters
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

DishonestGlamorousElephantseal-size_restricted.gif

Now don't get me wrong. None of this is me trying to pick out his successes for the sake of saying he was the better fighter. Truth is, the feel of the second fight largely went something like this
Xr78sYb.jpg

And things like this will always hold more weight in people's minds
woodley-fight-finishing-power.gif

But you asked..

They fought 10 rounds. I thought he was suppose to be a really good striker
Wonderboy is counter striker and utilises legs with a combo when somebody tries to move in for an attack. Problem with Woodley was, he never really went for an offense and waited for Wonderboy to attack. Wonderboy kept hesitating and so his offense didn't really work. Boring as sh1t fights though.

He actually landed some pretty good ones, problem was they were few and far between because Woodley would throw back and then we would have had a fight on our hands. Couldn't have that.

Honestly, both fights were bad and had very little significant strikes landed. The 2nd fight was the worst title defense in UFC history. Both guys were hesitant to engage.
second fight was awful but I don't think it was worse than Shevchenko/Carmouche and possibly Shevchenko/Nunes 2

He landed, just not anything powerful so it was easy to miss, like in the Darren Till fight.

He got two title shots and fought the most cowardly fights I have ever seen.

It seems like he hardly fights now.. He's wasted a lot of months without an opponent

They fought 10 rounds. I thought he was suppose to be a really good striker
he had tyron backed into a corner for pretty much most of it. but no clean hard strikes are hard to land when the other fighter is turtling as hard as tyron, he leaves little opportunities to get hit.

Problem with both fights is that it highlights the poor state of scoring. By all accounts, Thompson won 3 rounds in both fights

I agree with this, I'm not really sure how it could have been looked at any other way, but that's MMA

Back