Fighter Evolution

Doug Money

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What fighters style is basically a 2.0 versión of another, older fighter? I know u can argue every fighter is an evolutionary step ahead of his oldschool peers, but i want to be more speciffic. I always saw Benson Henderson as newer Carlos Newton. Rory was supposed to be the new GSP but didnt live up to the lofty credentials. Maia is a better Royce. Fedor was a better Igor. Werdum is a better Nog imo. What other examples can u give.

What fighters style is basically a 2.0 versión of another, older fighter? I know u can argue every fighter is an evolutionary step ahead of his oldschool peers, but i want to be more speciffic. I always saw Benson Henderson as newer Carlos Newton. Rory was supposed to be the new GSP but didnt live up to the lofty credentials. Maia is a better Royce. Fedor was a better Igor. Werdum is a better Nog imo. What other examples can u give.
I’m not going to say they are better, because that’s a silly discussion. But both volk and usman feel directly derived from GSP’s tactics and styles with their own twists and adjustments. It’s crazy, because many years later it seems to still be incredibly effective.

Last edited:
Anybody that thinks a fighter can’t improve is not very intelligent. And apart from fighters becoming a little more rounded right from the start. The thought that the sport itself has evolved by leaps and bounds is just crazy. It’s still mostly a lot of one trick ponies. To be really good at one aspect, but to actually have KO power, as well, isn’t an evolution. That’s still on a fighter by fighter basis. Just my opinion.

Brock was Mark Kerr 2.0
Anderson was Pele 2.0
Pele was Marco Ruas 2.0

> Hoyce was basically a guard player.

> Ronin´s submission game was more refined, while Bendo was a better wrassler

> Nog was much better than Doom, & different striking [Boxin´/MT] / grapplin´approach on the ground.

Last edited:
Adesanya wants to be the next Anderson Silva...

Time will tell...

I’m not going to say they are better, because that’s a silly discussion. But both volk and usman feel directly derived from GSP’s tactics and styles with their own twists and adjustments. It’s crazy, because many years later it seems to be incredibly effective.
Never thought of Volk and GSp but i see it now

Adesanya is Condit 2.0 (They both have a running man fight on their resume...)

But seriously, aside from shitting the bed in the Diaz fight, Condit was a buzzsaw on the feet in his prime. Also had shitty TDD.

I’m not going to say they are better, because that’s a silly discussion. But both volk and usman feel directly derived from GSP’s tactics and styles with their own twists and adjustments. It’s crazy, because many years later it seems to be incredibly effective.
for any well rounded fighters u can say they are GSP 2.0 with this logic ...

No Volk and Unman are not GSP 2.0. They are no GSP 2.0 yet, the potential modern day GSP is at HW : Cyril Gane. Athletic, In and out striker with superb jabs and kicks, getting more and more well rounded ( like GSP in the beginning of his career ), already showing great grappling and a super quick double leg.

Never thought of Volk and GSp but i see it now
Yeah it’s like this aggressive smothering wrestling base, but then they can also back it up, and make you stand if they want to like he did vs Holloway. The key difference is some of GSPs techniques were a bit more evolved and Volk is a tad more physical IMO.

> Hoyce was basically a guard player.

> Ronin´s submission game was more refined, while Bendo was a better wrassler

> Nog was much better than Doom, & different striking [Boxin´MT] / grapplin´approach on the ground.
Yeah Ronin was a better sub artist, but when i see Bensons scrbles i cant help but see Newton. Agree with Nog being more of a boxer jj guy, but him and Doom kinda resemble each other for being these really big and durable brazilian submission aces who bring striking to the table. Doom one upd Nog by adding knees and clinch work to the equation.

for any well rounded fighters u can say they are GSP 2.0 with this logic ...

No Volk and Unman are not GSP 2.0. They are no GSP 2.0 yet, the potential modern day GSP is at HW : Cyril Gane. Athletic, In and out striker with superb jabs and kicks, getting more and more well rounded ( like GSP in the beginning of his career ), already showing great grappling and a super quick double leg.
To be honest I don’t think we’ve seen enough of gane at this point to be able to really dissect and evaluate him. But I am with you, I think he’s superbly talented and I can’t wait to see where his career goes.

Yeah it’s like this aggressive smothering wrestling base, but then they can also back it up, and make you stand if they want to like he did vs Holloway. The key difference is some of GSPs techniques were a bit more evolved and Volk is a tad more physical IMO.
Remembering the Max fight, it played alot like GSP vs Diaz and Condit if i recall correctly. With the lengthy volume striker being smothered and then tagged on the feet.

To be honest I don’t think we’ve seen enough of gane at this point to be able to really dissect and evaluate him. But I am with you, I think he’s superbly talented and I can’t wait to see where his career goes.
I have seen enough. He might not be GSP 2.0, but he can be a GSP 0.5 in the HW division. It is more than enough to become the champ or at least a solid top 5 in this division.

I see Gane as a new version of Econoreem. Not the destructive force that was Ubereem, but the older more calculated in his approach Alistair.

I see Gane as a new version of Econoreem. Not the destructive force that was Ubereem, but the older more calculated in his approach Alistair.
Ubereem is a mythical creature, we'll never see another specimen like him.

Back