Burns is a hard matchup for Colby.

Human Bass

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
First Burns is a incredible grappler that is also a pretty good wrestler. Hard to takedown and even harder to deal on the ground.

Then he has quite heavy hands and Colby is hittable. I dont see any aspect where Colby wouldnt struggle against Gilbert. Maybe the loud mouth could outpoint the brazilian with volume, but the finishing threat will always favor Burns.

First Burns is a incredible grappler that is also a pretty good wrestler. Hard to takedown and even harder to deal on the ground.

Then he has quite heavy hands and Colby is hittable. I dont see any aspect where Colby wouldnt struggle against Gilbert. Maybe the loud mouth could outpoint the brazilian with volume, but the finishing threat will always favor Burns.
Agree. I think colby's a great fighter. I'd favor him vs khabib or Masvidal and probably an Usman rematch. But Burns is a nightmare matchup

Where is the conclusion "hard to take down" from?

Burns has better wins than Colby now. And I'm certain Burns has won 5 in a row not 2.

Was anyone talking about Burns before his last 2 fights? No.

My point being he won 2 fights in a row and NOW people are saying he is a world beater.

Classic. Burns wins 2 in a row and he is a world beater. Colby loses once and cant beat anyone.

Colby would wreck this fool.
Styles man, styles.

Colbdy doesnt have either the power or the grappling to wreck Burns, maybe he has the volume and gas tank to win a decision.

My point being he won 2 fights in a row and NOW people are saying he is a world beater.
Uhh he just whooped Woodleys ass.. Am I missing something here? He dominated 2 top5 guys just in a months time. What has Colby done lately? His last win is over #12 Lawler who himself hasn't beaten any current ranked WWs

I think people are insinuating that his skill set could present some problems for Colby and how he likes to fight. Or really any top WW for that matter. It doesn’t matter how long people have been talking about him. We are living in the present. It would be a good fight. Chill out.

To be fair its hard to assess where a fighter stands until we see him beat high level competition. Thats why I personally never hop on any hypetrain till I know the fighter in question can go 5 full rounds and beat legit competition and not some over the hill contenders. Burns is on everyones radar now, because he is worth the time and energy to be on everyones radar (if you know what I mean). I think he presents a solid challenge to Colby but I'd lean towards Colby in that fight. Then again Colby is coming of his first TKO loss in a hard fought fight too, you dont know how that fucks up a fighters mentality until he gets back in there. Momentum, age, recent fights, wins/losses make fights just as much as styles do, so Burns has a decent chance in that fight.

He does seem like he might be a bad matchup for Colby. We don't know how his defensive footwork is, but we know he is a devastating power puncher who picks his shots well, which is the type of thing that discourages pitter patter pressure fighters like Colby. And in the grappling department, I don't think Colby will have anything for Burns. Colby's best hope is to wall and stall Burns but I think Burns' power punching and his own clinch game and wrestling would make that ineffective.

Educated people can watch fights and see the clear improvements fighters make

There's a reason you Colby fans don't want him to fight Burns

Burns would push his shit all the way in; better striker and far superior grappler

Yeah, he beat an unbeaten (20-0) Russian propsect, a lot of the time at His own game.

To be fair its hard to assess where a fighter stands until we see him beat high level competition. Thats why I personally never hop on any hypetrain till I know the fighter in question can go 5 full rounds and beat legit competition and not some over the hill contenders. Burns is on everyones radar now, because he is worth the time and energy to be on everyones radar (if you know what I mean). I think he presents a solid challenge to Colby but I'd lean towards Colby in that fight. Then again Colby is coming of his first TKO loss in a hard fought fight too, you dont know how that fucks up a fighters mentality until he gets back in there. Momentum, age, recent fights, wins/losses make fights just as much as styles do, so Burns has a decent chance in that fight.
lol Exactly. “Nobody was talking about this guy nearly as much until he started beating elite fighters.” Well yeah, no shit.

Wheres that russian now?
Burns and EDS back to back showed what the UFC thought of him obviously. Cutting him was a really odd strategy, opposed to giving him more of a softball. Maybe they felt he was too safe.

I could see it playing out like Gaethje/Ferguson. Where the constant striking guy like Colby throws a bunch of shots, but gets countered with harder shots, and starts to lose his will to come forward, and eventually wilts to the heavy shots he's taken.

I could also see Colby doing what he normally does, and overwhelm, and drown Burns for a UD win. Intriguing match up.

Burns would beat the shit out of Colby.

Much better grappler and better striker, and a damned good wrestler. Colby would get run the fuck over. He has no power to threaten Burns and would not be able to meaningfully out wrestle him.

Keep in mind Colby hasn't beat someone not on the tail end of thirty since Barberena in 2016.

I've been saying he could be a legit top WW since his first fight back at WW and he's been a fighter to watch at LW for years.

A fighter isn't born a world beater. Burns is coming into his prime right now.

Back