So... Objectively, how good was Tyron really?

Kwic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I don't want to sound like a typical Sherdogger with the infamous he was never that good after losing a fight, but..

The range of skills he displayed makes me think he was an overachiever and of course not even close to the greatest fighters in terms of skills.

Let's look at Tyrone's UFC record

Loss 19–5–1 Gilbert Burns Decision
Loss 19–4–1 Kamaru Usman Decision
Win 19–3–1 Darren Till Submission
Win 18–3–1 Demian Maia Decision
Win 17–3–1 Stephen Thompson Decision (majority)
Draw 16–3–1 Stephen Thompson Draw (majority)
Win 16–3 Robbie Lawler KO (punches)
Win 15–3 Kelvin Gastelum Decision (split)
Win 14–3 Dong Hyun Kim TKO (punches)
Loss 13–3 Rory MacDonald (Decision)
Win 13–2 Carlos Condit TKO (knee injury)
Win 12–2 Josh Koscheck KO (punches)
Loss 11–2 Jake Shields Decision (split)
Win 11–1 Jay Hieron KO (punches)

On paper, not too shabby.
But you got split over Kelvin and majority Dec over Wonderboy, and a draw. The KO's were nice but that's just a flurry, the same one at least in both cases, landing big, good night. Robbie, great win. Props. But if the big bomb doesn't land?
Kelvin, good win also, but many felt he lost. Maia, great win but Maia didn't have a good long camp for that fight. But still, great TDD. Wonderboy fights, didn't show anything other than backing up and landing a shot. Still great draw / win but he didn't really show much there. Wobderboy deserves to be blamed on the second fight too for sure.
Till fight, great timing on the shot, good sub finish, good win.
Then gets dominated badly when he can't land his big shot. But he fights as always.
However, the opponent is not scared to engage, has technique and chin.

People say Twood aged over night and he doesn't want it anymore. Is it true, though?
He has fought the same as he always fought. Back up to the cage and hope for a bomb landing while defend a takedown.

So what he showed me:
- great power, overall explosiveness and timing of his bomb
- good takedown defense
- decent bjj

Now as far as creativity, combinations, footwork, i haven't really seen that in his fights. Where is the range of skills that would make him stand out above the rest so that he can be considered one of the greatest? Not even close. I'm not saying people say he is, though. But I know he is saying that and I don't agree.
He did very good with the skillset he had but and is obviously very good fighter but far from being considered in the same league as the greats in my opinion. And I do believe he is an overachiever that if was a bit unlucky with decisions and granting him that imo undeserving TS then he would be considered just a pretty good fighter. His limited skillset got exposed in his last 2 fights. Yes, GSP lost too, but it was a KO. Can happen to anyone. But to get dominated for full 5 rounds and then lose is something else.

And to re-iterate. He was / is certainly very good, but not near greatness and never was.

Last edited:
For me it's not about "how good he was" (he *was* damn good), it's about the more obvious and more problematic situation he seems to be finding himself in lately (albeit against the best in the world): when he gets touched/rocked, he *literally* goes pale and gets vacant-eyed. I've heard/read lots of other people pointing this out (happened against Usman as well), so I know it's not just my perspective/opinion, but what I'm confused by is lots of people also saying that, no, he hasn't changed, he just always waits too long for opening that may not come. I mean, when a proper black guy turns greenish-grey pale in the middle of a fight....that ain't normal. His head is all sorts of in the wrong place....how can people not see that?

LOL imagine thinking that someone who was a long running champ of one of the most stacked divisions in UFC and someone who defended his belt successfully 4 times was "never any good".
Sherdog is gonna Sherdog I guess.
That type of person is more amazed by parkour and spinny gymnastics whether they land or not. Or maybe they can't seperate not agreeing with someone's perspective doesnt mean you cant respect their fight

LOL imagine thinking that someone who was a long running champ of one of the most stacked divisions in UFC and someone who defended his belt successfully 4 times was "never any good".
Sherdog is gonna Sherdog I guess.

I've never enjoyed a single fight of Tyron's. Easily one of my least favorite fighters of all time but he maximized his gifts, worked hard, became champ, and defended his title. The man is a beast but I will be very happy upon his exit and will quickly forget his existence within the MMA world. The price of playing it safe.

Back