The biggest problem with Tyron, is that he fears getting finished thus just goes into defensive mode

GiTGuD

Is she gonna turn in powerful people?
Banned
Reaction score
tumblr_mj60k8pANU1ry1rm7o1_400.gifv

Honestly, I never seen a fighter who mentally quits ASAP after shit doesn't go his way...He did in both the usman/burns fight, he just mentally quit and went into defensive/survival mode for 5 rounds.

He just stays defensive, and waits for moments that never come...His urgency is non existent, if the moment doesn't present itself, it's ok, he won't try to create the moment.

I think he just fears getting finished again.....Once shit doesn't go his way, he is satisfied surviving 5 rounds and not getting finished.

Maybe he realizes that the damage from KO's etc isn't worth it to his kids and his popularity(If he gets KTFO it will lower his stock alot).

Not me. I would've bum rushed gilbert try to get out there for a quick paycheck either way.

In the fight game u are either the hammer or the nail( there are close fights also.. but lets be real..if you are not good enough on fight day you can get sparked out or you can do the sparking)...and it seems that once he figures out in a fight that he is becoming a "nail" he kinda shells up, I agree.
Getting old and losing couple fights can make you trigger shy in fights also.
And he has that Romero style...quiet...quiet... then explosion..and he was always on the backfoot against the fence...its his style.

In the fight game u are either the hammer or the nail( there are close fights also.. but lets be real..if you are not good enough on fight day you can get sparked out or you can do the sparking)...and it seems that once he figures out in a fight that he is becoming a "nail" he kinda shells up, I agree.
Getting old and losing couple fights can make you trigger shy in fights also.
And he has that Romero style...quiet...quiet... then explosion..and he was always on the backfoot against the fence...its his style.
The problem is that it seems against guys who really push pressure or have good wrestling the explosion never comes

Sometimes you have to make something happen. It just seems like a bad gameplan to hope something happens, instead of trying to make it happen.

I'm not sure if he is scared of getting hit, or scared of getting tired, but it's frustrating to watch a guy wait for minutes at a time to pull the trigger

Sometimes you have to make something happen. It just seems like a bad gameplan to hope something happens, instead of trying to make it happen.
Sometimes it can feel that way with guys who focus on counter striking. That’s one of the reasons Lyoto felt so hit or miss after his insane run. He was either unhittable and piecing someone up. Or it was this weird staring contest where he never really attacked.

My thing with Tyron is that he’s built kinda weird right? He a wrestler who’s incredibly strong...but then it gets inside or up close and it’s like ?!?!?!? WHY ARENT YOU DOING ANYTHING? From his credentials and his physique you’d expect him to hit like a WW ngannou up close. You know, scary uppercuts, dangerous hooks. Instead there’s nothing there. He only seems to feel comfortable at a range, but he doesn’t seem to have those karate/kickboxing techniques to make anyone respect his range.

Unfortunately he’s now finding himself surrounded by guys who love to get up close and wrestle. I mean shit, WW is probably the most grappling heavy top 10 in the ufc right now. So IMO he’s in need of some big adjustments

I disagree. He fought like this for most of his impressive run as and before WW champ. And bruttally finished or technically dominated a lot of game fighters.
Its just that the game has moved on and he has gotten physically slower.
Thats what happens when you get 38 old with 24 fights and a lot of wrestling mileage.
WW is just a tough division and people have a lot of footage of him and figured him out. Thompson was close but respected the right hand too much. Till payed the price for not respecting it enough.
Burns found the perfect mix between fighting him aggresively and still keeping an eye for the power right to counter it nearly the whole fight.

Has nothing to do with Woodley being timid. He just was outmatched and couldnt make the changes due to him fighting like this forever.
Could also not resort to wrestling against a multiple times bjj world champ.

Against Burns Woodley was a one dimensional fighter. He throw the overhand right. He did not use kicks, knees, or elbows. He was passive in the clinch and never shot for a take-down. It was easy for Burns to look great fighting a guy that posed almost no risk.

Credit for Burns to stay in Woodley's face and execute his game plan....he did look good.

Honestly, I never seen a fighter who mentally quits ASAP after shit doesn't go his way...He did in both the usman/burns fight, he just mentally quit and went into defensive/survival mode for 5 rounds.

He just stays defensive, and waits for moments that never come...His urgency is non existent, if the moment doesn't present itself, it's ok, he won't try to create the moment.

I think he just fears getting finished again.....Once shit doesn't go his way, he is satisfied surviving 5 rounds and not getting finished.

Maybe he realizes that the damage from KO's etc isn't worth it to his kids and his popularity(If he gets KTFO it will lower his stock alot).
Post-Machida KO Rashad Evans 2.0

I disagree. He fought like this for most of his impressive run as and before WW champ. And bruttally finished or technically dominated a lot of game fighters.
Its just that the game has moved on and he has gotten physically slower.
Thats what happens when you get 38 old with 24 fights and a lot of wrestling mileage.
WW is just a tough division and people have a lot of footage of him and figured him out. Thompson was close but respected the right hand too much. Till payed the price for not respecting it enough.
Burns found the perfect mix between fighting him aggresively and still keeping an eye for the power right to counter it nearly the whole fight.

Has nothing to do with Woodley being timid. He just was outmatched and couldnt make the changes due to him fighting like this forever.
Could also not resort to wrestling against a multiple times bjj world champ.

That may be partially right, but did you not *see* his face during the Burns fight? After the first successful flurry from Burns, Tyron was literally pale and had vacant eyes the rest of the fight....which is also what happened for the majority of the Usman fight. He was *not* like that in any of his title defenses, or any fight I've ever seen of his before. He's surpassed Rashad in his gun-shyness-after-a-whooping.

tyron doesnt seem able or willing to push forward and create openings for his shots... he's waay to passive are relies on his opponent making a mistake so he can counter them, the last few fights they havent played into his game and he literally stands there and doesnt do anything... he doesnt seem hungry at all anymore

Woodley can do well againt nice match up.
Woodley loves southpaw that don't pressure him and hates orthodox fighters with a nice lead hand that pressure him

He fights like someone who’s approaching 40 years old.

OK, despite my agreeing with you, in fairness to T-Wood I'll mention that after the Burns fight he made not excuses, and he definitely wasn't "looking for a way out" like we've seen others do (cough...Sonnen...cough cough). Which makes it even weirder: he totally mentally quit, I agree, but still had the pride to keep going at least. Head problems (mental, not CTE) I think are the most difficult hurdles for an otherwise fit fighter to overcome, and he's not looking so hot right now. For his legacy's (and self-esteem's) sake, I hope he gets at least one more respectable win under his belt....(but not if it means he releases more tracks/albums)

I'm not sure if he is scared of getting hit, or scared of getting tired, but it's frustrating to watch a guy wait for minutes at a time to pull the trigger

all that time he spend in thailand, he's still the same exact fighter...hangs back against the cage, looking for that one big right hand...he has become so incredibly predictable...rory figured him out a long time ago.

Hes like romero but not as durable and because he knows he doesn't have the durability hes more passive

Back