in the last 5 UFC events, the underdog has won the main event 5/5 times

FedorGOAT

Ultimate Fedorist
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just a weird stat that I’ve found, since the quarantine started, all the main event winners have been the underdog.

For reference:

Lee (-145) vs Oliviera (+124)
Smith (-175) vs Glover (+140)
Ferguson (-200) vs Gaethje (+168)
Overeem (+125) vs Harris (-150)
Woodley (-180) vs Burns (+155)

*these odds were gathered from CBS Sports (some books had Overeem as the favourite)

This week Nunes is a -400 favorite against Spencer. ( she started off as a -800 favourite)

Also another fact to notice that all the dominant WMMA fighter ( Ronda, Joana, Cyborg) etc. lost to to huge underdogs. Is this time for Amanda?

Last edited:
If Spencer actually becomes a UFC champion...

tenor.gif

I had the last 3 right. I thought Lee and Smith were gonna get it done.

I had the last 3 right. I thought Lee and Smith were gonna get it done.
I didn't think Walt had anything at all for Overeem other than a puncher's chance but boy did that punch land. Most refs would have stopped the fight but that ref wanted to see Overeem stiffed.

The lack of crowd cheering and booing is probably having an effect on the fan favourites and the opponent

I didn't think Walt had anything at all for Overeem other than a puncher's chance but boy did that punch land. Most refs would have stopped the fight but that ref wanted to see Overeem stiffed.

I bet overeem but my parlay was already busted so I was kinda rooting for walt. I thought walt did enough to get the stoppage myself.

I’ll be honest, I have no idea who Spencer is. I tune out during wmma. That’s not even sarcasm.

@Ares Black

Is Spencer actually good?

Nunes is legit, I do believe that.

Just a weird stat that I’ve found, since the quarantine started, all the main event winners have been the underdog.

For reference:

Lee (-145) vs Oliviera (+124)
Smith (-175) vs Glover (+140)
Ferguson (-200) vs Gaethje (+168)
Overeem (+125) vs Harris (-150)
Woodley (-180) vs Burns (+155)

*these odds were gathered from CBS Sports (some books had Overeem as the favourite)

This week Nunes is a -400 favorite against Spencer. ( she started off as a -800 favourite)

Also another fact to notice that all the dominant WMMA fighter ( Ronda, Joana, Cyborg) etc. lost to to huge underdogs. Is this time for Amanda?
There was a guy on the Luke Thomas show last year around this time Who, I believe, was from the UFC and kept statistics for them. I remember him saying something like 30% of the winners in 2018 were underdogs. I’d have to go back and get the specific numbers,But it was surprisingly high. I need to go find that guy and see if he’s written anything about 2019.

I’ll be honest, I have no idea who Spencer is. I tune out during wmma. That’s not even sarcasm.

@Ares Black

She has great ground game but on paper I think Nunes is better. Also Mandy is miles apart in striking from her. But Spencer's extra weight can come handy in late rounds in grappling exchange as Nunes has questionable gas tank & Felicia being a true featherweight ( She should have some size advantage)

There was a guy on the Luke Thomas show last year around this time Who, I believe, was from the UFC and kept statistics for them. I remember him saying something like 30% of the winners in 2018 were underdogs. I’d have to go back and get the specific numbers,But it was surprisingly high. I need to go find that guy and see if he’s written anything about 2019.

If you went fight by fight and checked the odds versus results, it wouldn't surprise me if 30-40% of fights ended with the underdog winning. There are too many factors for betting lines to consistently correct.

If you went fight by fight and checked the odds versus results, it wouldn't surprise me if 30-40% of fights ended with the underdog winning. There are too many factors for betting lines to consistently correct.

call the guy and tell him.

@Ares Black

Spencer is a lot better than a lot of people give her credit for. She has a great ground game, good cardio, and is very tough and tenacious.

She definitely has a chance, although I actually expect Nunes to beat the ever living shit out of her. If she can manage to get Nunes down it gets interesting.

I might make a small bet on her to win by submission, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

I got the Overeem fight wrong. But, I had the rest. I was 10/11 last Saturday. If I only get one underdog fight right the rest of this year. I want it to be this one.

Spencer by sub in rd 4-5. I haven’t made my official pick yet.

@Ares Black

No, she’s 8-1 with her only loss being by decision while she cut Cyborg up. She sucks.

Did you even UFC 240 dude? Or the other two cards where Spencer got a first round finish? Main card in all her UFC fights. Your casual slip is showing.

Back