How did Cormier vs Ngganou become Jones vs Ngannou?

Rhood

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I thought everyone wanted to see Daniel fight the Ferocious French Francis.
How did Jones end up in this picture?
Who's idea was this?
What happened to the Jones vs Isreal hype?

Did a span of 9 days change everything?

Last edited:
Cormier was never accepting that fight. We all know it. And it was never a serious discussion. It was just something Cormier’s detractors, including myself wanted to see. But, he’s avoided it 100%.

That’s why an interim fight would have been so cool to see.

Jones kept claiming he was going to fight him and got everyone excited to see hw jones. I think dc at hw would beat jones btw.

DC doesn't want to take a chance with Francis.

Against short fat DC, Francis' waist high hooks would be precisely where DCs head is...

Lol is there an inside joke that I'm missing? Francis has proven time and time again to be a bad ass mofo but no way is Cormier afraid of anyone.

Why do people keep saying he would not fight Francis like he's afraid?

Ngannou seems to be the draw at HW, at least for the time being, and he just had a nice win while headlining a card, it was striking while the iron was hot 101.

Against short fat DC, Francis' waist high hooks would be precisely where DCs head is...
I like how people forget that Cormier has olympic level wrestling, which is one of Ngannou's weaknesses.

Cormier also has good cardio, which is yet another one of Ngannou's weaknesses.

Pretty sure that there wasn't ever any buzz about DC vs Ngannou? At least not that I've heard.
The fight people wanted was Stipe vs DC, and everyone knows DC plans to retire after that.

Jones has been teasing us with HW literally for 7 years, so it made sense for him to fight the scariest HW on the roster now, people have been clamoring for this move for years. Too bad Jon was only teasing us like a cheap stripper.

If Cormier has one fight left, it makes more sense in my opinion for him to fight for the belt.

Lol is there an inside joke that I'm missing? Francis has proven time and time again to be a bad ass mofo but no way is Cormier afraid of anyone.

he wants to fight stipe and retire, he's not going to deviate from that roadmap under any circumstances. if he loses to francis his dreams of retiring with a title are finished. It's too much a gamble for him.

Nobody wanted to see DC vs. Ngannou... that was never an interesting matchup. It wouldn't be competitive, DC would handle him with ease--unless he gets caught in the first minute.

Jones vs. Ngannou is far more interesting, it's not obvious that Jones would be able to take Ngannou down and control him.

Jones is just a dumb narcissist and can't let anyone have their minute in the sun without trying to make it about himself. We saw it when Smith defended his family from a drug crazed home invader and now that Ngannou won again in spectacular fashion, he couldn't keep quiet and criticized his victory. So, predictably (for everyone in the world except Jon Jones), Francis is like oh really? You and me. Now Jon is stuck, he doesn't want to fight Francis but he doesn't want to look like a chump so he spends a day or two trying to laugh it off but then the social media pressure builds with everyone saying there's no way he would ever take that fight. That's when he is forced to craft an escape plan. He starts loudly saying he wants Ngannou and is going to run circles around him 'picking him apart' the whole time. So far it's working and the MMA world jumps on this fight and forgets about everything else. So he makes a big show of scheduling 'negotiations' with Dana White and then immediately after he hangs up, he says I'm out! They will not pay me reasonably for such a fight! Unbelievable! Dana doesn't take this lying down and calls Jon a liar. Jon accuses Dana of ruining his 'reputation' and then the whole thing spins out of control with Jon finally saying he's going to quit the UFC. And it all started with a little narcissistic jab on the internet that he just couldn't resist.

Last edited:

Because hes 40, on the decline and a fatass at HW. Francis also stuffed every td attempt and made quick work of DCs big bro Cain( who was also on the decline), so that night have Cormier doubting himself in that fight. In their prime both DC and Cain mop the floor with Ngumbo. Now, not so much.

Because pretty quickly after DC floated the possibility of fighting Ngannou for the HW belt once Stipe had been stripped, Stipe chimed in to reassure that he's going to give him the rematch and claimed that his managerial team was talking to the UFC about dates. So DC fell silent, and into the void stepped Jones and his barrage of tweets.

Because he's been saying he wants to fight the guy that beat frank and has the belt then retire for over a year now..

He also says if stipe does not want to defend then strip him and he fight Francis for it then retire

The desperation to call every fighter scared and a duck is pathetic and reaks of self projection btw

Timing.
DC wouldn’t be afraid to take on Francis like he already took on Rumble, Barnett, etc
BUT..
This is his farewell fight. Yes the fear is real.. get KTFO as a retirement fight? No thanks

Because Jones interjected himself for the sole purpose of grabbing attention (with zero intention of actually fighting Ngannou), and the masses fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back