Let’s get real about fighter unions

I know it’s popular here to shit on the bald goof and to bitch about fighter pay, as if you care about the welfare of people getting their brains bashed in. If fighters do unionize or find other ways to get more power, the MMA takes a giant step towards becoming like boxing, where the best fighters avoid each other like the plague and 99% of the fights are meaningless. Even in MMA, when fighters make tons of money they become very inactive or okay with walking away (e.g. Khabib, GSP, Conoravirus, and recently Jones). It’s in fans’ best interest for the balance of power to remain heavily with the bald goof.
Okay Dana.

<DisgustingHHH>

I know it’s popular here to shit on the bald goof and to bitch about fighter pay, as if you care about the welfare of people getting their brains bashed in. If fighters do unionize or find other ways to get more power, then MMA takes a giant step towards becoming like boxing, where the best fighters avoid each other like the plague and 99% of the fights are meaningless. Even in MMA, when fighters make tons of money they become very inactive or okay with walking away (e.g. Khabib, GSP, Conoravirus, and recently Jones). It’s in fans’ best interest for the balance of power to remain heavily with the bald goof.

FdfuL9t.gif

So you prioritize your personal entertainment over the dignity of the fighters, as if spending more on them in general and not paying guys on the undercard 12k/12k while they drive an Uber on the side would affect the sport in any negative way.
Go shovel some snow in Dana’s driveway.

Last edited:
Fighter union is impossible because most fighters are not US based, so a guy from Brazil, Russia or whatever country doesn't want some American bureaucrat to know his business.

Frankie (RIP) explained it years ago on the CK podcast.

nobody talks about it but the ali act is only good for the top guys and makes it almost impossible for an up and comer or journeyman to get paid

I know it’s popular here to shit on the bald goof and to bitch about fighter pay, as if you care about the welfare of people getting their brains bashed in. If fighters do unionize or find other ways to get more power, then MMA takes a giant step towards becoming like boxing, where the best fighters avoid each other like the plague and 99% of the fights are meaningless. Even in MMA, when fighters make tons of money they become very inactive or okay with walking away (e.g. Khabib, GSP, Conoravirus, and recently Jones). It’s in fans’ best interest for the balance of power to remain heavily with the bald goof.
What does one have to do with the other? A union would be much more likely to fight for a merit system. I.e., the ranking.

I would say that the reason we need a union isn't the power imbalance in itself, but the monopoly situation (the UFC meets the definition of a de facto monopoly) and contracts that prevent fighters from maximizing income.

you do realise some UFC fighters qualify for social welfare, right? like this isn't a surprise for you?

Reactions: Grr
Don’t see it happening. The UFC is an international sport and many of the fighters coming from countries with no labor laws wouldn’t really care about unionizing. Up and coming guys could also be hindered.

Increased revenue/profit sharing might be a better solution. All of the fighters from top to bottom get a bigger slice of the pie which is what most seem to be complaining about. If the guys on top (Conor, Adesanya, Khabib, etc) pressured the UFC about it, we could see some changes.

Seems like the best fighters in boxing fight each other more often than in the UFC.

I'm also not seeing the cause and effect link. Boxers aren't unionized. A union wouldn't magically change the dynamic for who makes the matches. You might as well claim something equally random, like unionized fighters getting prematurely grey testicle hairs.

You dont need a union to make more money. You need a win. Unions might actually hurt up and coming fighters who can potentially make more than their boring counterparts.

What does one have to do with the other? A union would be much more likely to fight for a merit system. I.e., the ranking.

I would say that the reason we need a union isn't the power imbalance in itself, but the monopoly situation (the UFC meets the definition of a de facto monopoly) and contracts that prevent fighters from maximizing income.
Someone who , at least, is on the right path and is actually thinking .

40% revenue split or strike for 2 years. The only fair option.

Fighter union is impossible because most fighters are not US based, so a guy from Brazil, Russia or whatever country doesn't want some American bureaucrat to know his business.

Frankie (RIP) explained it years ago on the CK podcast.
Right, so all the foreign players in the NBA, NHL. etc are not in the union?

The fighters personal sponsors where the great equalizers imo and thats why we didnt hear so much drama about fighter pay back in the day. They got paid less then today but made up for it with in cage logos. The Reebok Real was a real scumbag move by Diana.

So you prioritize your personal entertainment over the dignity of the fighters, as if spending more on them in general and not paying guys on the undercard 12k/12k while they drive an Uner on the side would affect the sport in any negative way.
Go shovel some snow in Dana’s driveway.

They get half naked and fight in cages for money, let's go easy on that dignity bullshit

Back