PSA: Colby isn’t a star or a draw

Brodie

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I’ve been seeing a lot of talk of how Colby is some sort of star/draw in the sport but in reality he’s not anywhere close. His fight prior to Usman was a main event against Lawler on ESPN (keep in mind by this point he had fully embraced his persona). He was paid 45k to show, 45k to win and 10k fight week incentive pay (100k total)To put that in perspective that same card Jim Miller got paid 95k just to show, Clay guida made 81k and Mickey Gall made 65k.

On top of all that the event was the lowest watched ESPN card with a total of 680,000 almost 300,000 short of the second lowest ESPN main event RDA vs Edwards.

In terms of social media following, colby has 392,000 ig followers to put that in perspective Woodley has 1.5 million, Holloway has 2 million, Gaethje has 800k, Ortega has 700k. He’s on par with guys like Yair Rodriguez with 334,000 and Kevin Lee with 330,000.

Overall conclusion he’s paid like a low to mid tier fighter, his cards don’t sell, has a poor social media following despite his antics. This has also led him to being banned from ATT and losing friendships with people who have known over 10+ years.

Last edited:
Warer is wet, sky is blue, you eat dorittos.

Tell us something we don't know man.

I think he over-committed to the abrasive aspect of his gimmick.

The gold standard for being a heel/provocateur in MMA is Chael. Even during the peak of his feud with Anderson, Chael could tone it down a little and talk like a normal human, he could be funny and sincere. Colby is being cartoonish all the time which would be tiresome from anyone, but especially from him since he's very stilted on the mic.

Ultimately I think that Colby doesn't have the charisma and social fluency to walk the line of being a bad guy while still being an attractive personality. In wrestling there's "heat" which is good (viewers dislike you but can't stop watching you), and "go away heat" which is bad (viewers want to change the channel). Colby has go-away heat right now.

According to Rogan he is killing it and his gimmick made him super popular...It's a bunch of bullshit.

Colby might be popular for the people who follow the sport but the casuals don't know him or if they do, they simply aren't interested in seeing him fight thus why his ratings have been so low.

Colby literally destroyed his career. He thought the whole political MAGA gimmick would be popular but it wasn’t so he started talking smack to his own team thinking that would create buzz, it didn’t and now he’s titleless and gymless.

He definitely made history though, that is don’t do what he did.

Last edited:
Just seeing how butthurt Sherdoggers are here shows how big of a star Colby is and how emotionally invested MMA fans are on him.

Just seeing how butthurt Sherdoggers are here shows how big of a star Colby is and how emotionally invested MMA fans are on him.
Dude, you've made multiple accounts to show your obsession with certain fighters. Something tells me it's not everyone else, it's you.

I wouldn't call him a star but all his shit talking plus the amazing performance he had with Usman, I'd say his next fight will atleast draw then but after that I'd say he probably falls back down the pecking order

But he is in fact a very good fighter, most likely the 2nd best WW in the world right now. So as an mma fan I'd like to see him get back in the cage sometime soon, and if he dropped the act I might actually root for him.

He did a good job creating this persona for people to hate. Only problem is people couldn't care less about tuning in.

how much money does he make per post that includes his name? I bet it’s a lot
When fans dont talk about a certain fighters anymore that mean they are in the history books, but Colby is here to stay.

Whether you like him or not, dude can fight. UFC 245 main event is a top notch MMA entertainment

Back