This makes me wonder if Woodley was done before the Usman fight as well...

Fatback96

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Did Usman take Woodley’s soul? Or was he going to lose that fight regardless of who he fought?

In both recent Woodley fights, he looked lost in there, like he didn’t belong in the octagon.
ClearcutFaintChinesecrocodilelizard-size_restricted.gif

It reminded me of that old show “Bully Beatdown”, where you have a civilian going up against a pro MMA fighter.
VeneratedEnragedBorer-max-1mb.gif

Did Usman and Burns turn in career best performances, or were they just subjects of being in the right place at the right time?

So, It's the good old "when you beat someone considered great, wasn't he actually done and dealt with even before you beat him, so you still haven't proven anything at all?"

It's the same exact Woodley that lost to Rory and shields. These guys are beating him with very similar gameplans.

So, It's the good old "when you beat someone considered great, wasn't he actually done and dealt with even before you beat him, so you still haven't proven anything at all?"
Sherdog logic is irrefutable. The last guy to lose to the champion is obviously the one who took his soul. Darren Till is WW GOAT.

Gilbert seems like a terrible style match-up for Woodley. Honestly, even worse than Colby. He's just so fast, huge granite head that tucks really well. Tyrone comes with the looping punches & Gilberts head is like a fortress for those blows.

That said, everyone is just so damn good in there now. Woodley is still an awesome fighter, but he got clipped early & stayed on the back foot. Berns seemed a bit quicker to the punch & was more willing to engage than Woodley. I had a heavy heart last night watching the decision. To lose 10 rounds in a row coming off a championship run like he had.. Just upsetting.

I said going into the bout that there's just times where a fighter gets old. I hate to say that with Woodley as he doesn't look old by any means, but Ferguson is a tough example where you have to realize that everyone has an expiration date on their fighting career unfortunately. They might've been the greatest thing since sliced bread at 32, but 4-6 years later, we're remembering fights that don't seem that long ago if you're not an active fighter & they've had 2-3 wars since then, a ACL tear/recovery, some shots to the head & you're just a notch off where you were before. In a game of inches, that could be all that matters sometimes.

That said, I would really like to see Woodley back in there again. He doesn't have anything to lose after those fights & could be a farewell if it goes bad-or he could try for another run. When all said and done, he's only lost two fights. Are we telling any other fighters who lost to Gilbert or Kamar to retire? I would still like to see Woodley vs. Jorge or Edwards (though they may be a bit high in the rankings for him). If neither of those pan out, then anyone 6-15 to build him back up if he wants it, or a farewell fight... I really don't see a guy outside of top 5 who should be a favourite against Woodley.

Although Woodley looked bad last night it was still night and day difference from the Usman fight.

Woodley is the same guy. Low output, easily backed into the cage. He did the same thing in his fights with Wonderboy and Maia, they just didn't have the style to capitalize.
73121206.jpg

Did the exact same vs. Rory, but the Canadian Psycho had the style to capitalize.

Same ol Woodley.

Very low output. He can't help put his back against the cage the entire fight. He's always been this way. Usman was a horrible match-up for him and it played out how some of us thought it would.

Mix that with the fact he's 38 now?
Woodley needs to really consider calling it quits. The fire is clearly gone. Great career though.

His heart is in the rap game. It’s easy to lose focus when you’re running the streets and laying down fire in the studio on the reg. He simply doesn’t need the money compared to what he can make with his rap career.

It's the same exact Woodley that lost to Rory and shields. These guys are beating him with very similar gameplans.
Bro I respect you but did you actually watch the Shield's fight? Woodley stopped 16 of 16 TD attempts and out struck Shields. It was a SD loss many thought was gifted to Jake.

Rory beat up Woodley bad.

Rory Macdonald wrote the book on how to beat Tyron.

Woodley was very fortunate to come across fighters who weren't pressure fighters, and he was also very fortunate to win the title from a shot Robbie Lawler who went through 2 life-changing wars back-to-back in Rory and Condit.

And he's 38 years old for crying out loud. Not everyone can be an ageless wonder like Yoel Romero.

Darren Till took Woodley's soul confirmed.

Woodley talked more about racism and money than fighting way before Usman. Woodley has been done for a long time, getting carried by his physical talent and eroding skillset. To be a fighter you need more than that, though, eventually you will get demolished if you Woodley around.

Fighting is a young mans game especially at lower weight classes and having a 15 month break at Woodley's age isn't the best thing.

Woodley is the same guy. Low output, easily backed into the cage. He did the same thing in his fights with Wonderboy and Maia, they just didn't have the style to capitalize.

Yup Marquardt also found it was easy to rush him against the cage.

I think he was downcycling before Usman. That's my view. Explains why he looked less jacked.

Bro I respect you but did you actually watch the Shield's fight? Woodley stopped 16 of 16 TD attempts and out struck Shields. It was a SD loss many thought was gifted to Jake.

Rory beat up Woodley bad.

Not true, Shields outstruck him. Woodley lost that fight because he couldn't stop the pressure and got outworked. It was a sign of things to come.

Back