Masvidal Wanted to Fight Tony at UFC 249...How Would That Have Gone?

mkt

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I say pretty similar to the Gaethje fight. Mas is faster, more accurate and more technical than Ferguson. Best case for Tony, Masvidal slows down later in the fight (especially with the LW cut he's not done in a while). But I still think a gassed Mas could survive/lose the 4th and/or 5th round and get the UD. I think the first 3 rounds would be dominant for Mas and very ugly for Tony.

Mas would've killed him

Tony's never beaten a single elite boxer in his life

0-2 against them now

Calling Gaethje an elite boxer (by MMA standards) sounds weird but I can buy it based on his last few fights. If Tony/Justin fought a few years ago when Geathje was really wild (and Tony was a bit younger), I can see Tony losing the early rounds but pulling a 4th or 5th round win the way Poirier and Eddie did after Gaethje gassed. But patient, 5-round Gaethje 2.0 is a scary man.

It would have gone like this:
Violence.

Yep, so would Masvidal vs. Gaethje. If Mas can still make LW without any major problems, that might be the best potential fight on the entire UFC roster. Violence but technical violence, not just 2 guys wildly swinging.

Masvidal kills him in under two rounds.

masvidal can't make 155 healthy anymore, so tony would have won via superior cardio.

I don’t like that Masvidal is trying to pick and choose fights he thinks would be easier to him.
Refuses to fight Colby and Usman. The two top guys at his weightclass and likes to sit at number 3, with no intention of fighting them or challenging for the title.
I have a feeling he is going to price himself out eventually and lose all this momentum he’s built.

but to the TS at LW I’d take Tony by Sub,
WW probably Mas by being more accustomed to the weight.

A guy who hadn't lost since 2012 before this improved version of Gaethje showed up now gets killed by a career journeyman who hasn't won more than 3 in a row since 2008.

MMA fans are forever victim to the present moment.

I say pretty similar to the Gaethje fight. Mas is faster, more accurate and more technical than Ferguson. Best case for Tony, Masvidal slows down later in the fight (especially with the LW cut he's not done in a while). But I still think a gassed Mas could survive/lose the 4th and/or 5th round and get the UD. I think the first 3 rounds would be dominant for Mas and very ugly for Tony.

jorge loses but jorge wouldnt of wanted that smoke that why he didnt say anything or sign the deal.

So at this point Tony seems to be a right off?

A guy who hadn't lost since 2012 before this improved version of Gaethje showed up now gets killed by a career journeyman who hasn't won more than 3 in a row since 2008.

MMA fans are forever victim to the present moment.

• Askren hadn't lost since he started fighting in 2009 and Masvidal finished him
  • Darren Till was 17-1, a huge WW, and his only loss was the WW champ and Mas finished him
I agree Gaethje has improved but so has Masvidal. The Masvidal who's finished his last 3 opponents isn't the same guy who fought passively and lost split decisions to people like Al Iaquinta. He's always had the tools but clearly has more killer instinct and will to win now. If we're going to award Gaethje with the 2.0 designation, then Masvidal deserves it as well.

Plus fights are always about styles. Tony struggled with Cerrone, Pettis and even Lando in the stand-up during the early rounds. Masvidal is clearly better and more dangerous than any of them.

So at this point Tony seems to be a right off?

No, but an active, highly-ranked WW certainly has a good chance of beating him. Plus Tony has taken a lot of cumulative damage over the years and it's showing. If you watch him closely, you'll see he peaked around the RDA fight.

Stylistically, as long as he doesn't gas, Masvidal is pretty much a nightmare for Tony. He's faster, will constantly beat him to the punch, and won't be bothered by spinning/unorthodox stuff...even if Ferg lands something, Masvidal's chin is very good. Tony matches up best with weak-chinned fighters (Cerrone) who wilt to cumulative damage or front runners like Pettis and Kevin Lee who lost almost any fight that makes it to the 3rd round.

Last edited:
Back