*How should Burns fight in order to beat or get a decision over Woodley?*

Seiryoku Zenyo

We are all one
@Brown
Reaction score
How should be his gamplan?

P. S. Yeah, I know my english grammar is not that good.

Hope Woodley is aggressive early on and try to capitalize on that. Can't see Burns winning with Woodley's typical slow-paced, counter heavy style.

I’ve got a feeling Burns will win tomorrow. He’s been way more active than Woodley, and Woodley looked very average last time out against Usman. Not to mention he’s 38 now. I can see Burns catching him with a punch and finishing Tyron on the ground

The Rory McDonald approach is always there. Stay overwhelmingly aggressive but mostly stay outside and don't force you punches. Reach advantage would be great. Going punch for punch with TWood is going to make you look like Koscheck.

Slow and steady pressure I think, but don't overcommit to anything, because that's when Woodley counters. Stay at long range and pick at him constantly, it will be hard though, I don't think Burns has a very good reach for that style. I also don't know if that's even something he would be good at, but it's what worked for guys before.

Rory and Usman both showed that Woodley has trouble with atraight punches and kicks from kickboxing range and that his clinch isnt the best either. IMO the best way to fight Woodley is how they did it, stay in kickboxing range and when Woodley tries to counter with hooks close the distance and clinch and dirty box then repeat. Woodley has a bad habit of backing himself up to the cage which often limits his options.

Hit him. A lot.

1rlPc_medium.gif

Not even showing up would be a great way for Burns not to get beat by Woodly.

Be aggressive and stay moving forward. He doesn't do well under constant pressure

bjj has no takedowns and going against a D1 wrestler, they can not use their bjj. So only hope is to stand and bang. I remember I was a white belt and my black belt bjj instructor could not take me down as a D1.

Long time Woodley fan here since his time in Strikeforce. Woodley is exceptionally athletic. Strong, quick, powerful, good on the feet and the ground. If Woodley hits you flush you might wake up in next week. People forget that Woodley is relatively old (38) and he never had a good gas tank. In addition, he seems to have been distracted with things outside of MMA like Hollywood (movies and music). Woodley also does a lot of community service which is important to him and for which he deserves praise.

I think a combination of lost his focus and Father Time were to blame for such a poor showing against Usman. Having said that, Woodley is a low output figher i.e. not very active and prone to losing rounds. I don't think Burns is going to get a submission against Woodley if he has trained properly. Woodley handled Maia a few years ago without much trouble. If I were Burns I would be active on the feet and try to get the fight to the ground so that he can tire Woodley, be the aggressor and continue to win rounds. Be careful for counter-punching and blitz attack. Woodley can close the distance with guns blazing very quickly. But the big question is which Woodley shows up? The top notch Woodley who had a nice run for several years or the Woodley who embarassed himself vs. Usman? Burns is a very solid fighter who can get things done on the ground or standing. If I were Burns, I would simply look to put rounds in the bank working towards a decision victory and go for the finish if it presents itself. Woodley is way more likely to be the fighter who runs out of gas in this fight.

Back