*If the fight goes to the mat, who has the edge: Woodley or Burns?*

Seiryoku Zenyo

We are all one
@Brown
Reaction score
Yeah, I know Burns is like a BJJ star. But I was wondering if Woodley's strengh and wrestling, plus defensive and ofensive BJJ, would be enough for him to dominante Burns, just like he would do to Maia.

Burns has great BJJ, but Woodley has never been submitted.

Frankly, I really doubt we will find out.

Yeah, I know Burns is like a BJJ star. But I was wondering if Woodley's strengh and wrestling, plus defensive and ofensive BJJ, would be enough for him to dominante Burns, just like he would do to Maia.
No. He didn't go to the ground with Maia for a reason, and after watching Usman dominate him on the ground, there's no way I see him beating Burns on the ground. His only chance is to KO him imo

Burns probably won't flop like a fish failing at 24 takedowns from middle of octagon. He can actually fight.

Is it me or has everyone forgot how good woodley is?

Is it me or has everyone forgot how good woodley is?
He's not champ anymore. His style is going to be hard for him to earn the decision with low activity.... but Burns really does run the perfect style to get KTFO. Lacking the jab is not a good thing when fighting Woodley

Burns is on a hot streak right now, but Woodley has been in more high-level fights, and has the experience, fortitude, and willingness to follow a game plan, all in his favor. I think Woodley weathers Burns’ offense for the first 2 rounds or so, and grinds out a decision win.

Woodley by being the better MMA fighter. I expect him to make a statement in this fight and remind people to put some respect on his name!

He's not champ anymore. His style is going to be hard for him to earn the decision with low activity.... but Burns really does run the perfect style to get KTFO. Lacking the jab is not a good thing when fighting Woodley
Yeah I'm feeling increasingly more and more convinced Woodley finds Burns chin. His striking, while improved, just isn't on the same level as what Woodley has faced. He's caught, Lawler, Wonderboy in both fights, Till and others with BIG shots. My gut is telling me Woodley gets a finish here, but my head is telling me Burns is smart enough to pick his exchanges, and use his grappling/clinch game to get the UD.

Woodley should win easily since he no longer champion he won't be caution anymore. Woodley by easy KO in round 1-2.

Woodley by being the better MMA fighter. I expect him to make a statement in this fight and remind people to put some respect on his name!

This - people are forgetting that Woodley was a dominant champion, outside of his controversial second fight with Wonder Boy. Was he boring at times? Yes, but it's not his fault that Maia wiffed on 20+ take downs.

The only wildcard is Woodley is getting up there in age. Speed and reflexes are one of the first things to go, and that was always Woodley's bread and butter.

woodley-sub-ufc-228.gif

Hoping for a Burns win, expect Woodley win by KO.
Both Jujitsu Blackbelts, Both have KO power, should be competitive while it lasts.

Highly doubt it goes to the ground, woodley by ko in first or second

Really depends who gets top position i'd say. Woodley is a very good grappler, likely has the mma wrestling advantage. So if he gets top Burns is going to have to work extremely hard. Won't be easy to grab something off his back. Same goes for woodley, likely isn't going to be advantageous fighting from his back. If forced to choose, i'd imagine woodleys wrestling willl allow him to mostly be the one on top on the mat. So if they end up there hope burns has really been drilling his scrambles and sweeps.

Back