Facts: Jon Jones deserves MORE money than Deontay Wilder makes per fight.

Phisher

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Let's forget that Jones is a scumbag and look at the numbers here.

Dana actually made himself look like an ass with this comparison.

Jones is a MUCH bigger draw historically than Wilder is.

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 3.32.23 PM.png

These are actually amazing PPV numbers compared to most elite level boxers over the past decade not named Mayweather, Pacquiao or Canelo.

He's sold over 7 million PPV buys as a headliner. Wilder has only fought on PPV three times in his career. The dude wasn't any kind of draw before the Fury rivalry started.

For more perspective on Wilder:

Widler/Fury 1 did 325K buys.

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_...fury-fight-generates-325000-pay-per-view-buys

Wilder/Ortiz 2 did 225K buys

https://www.badlefthook.com/2019/12...-luis-ortiz-2-does-roughly-225000-buys-on-ppv

Wilder Fury 2 did 750K buys.

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_...fury-fight-generates-325000-pay-per-view-buys

The notion that Jones doesn't deserve more than $5 million per fight is farcical.

Wilder got paid $20 million to fight Breazeale on Showtime.

Terence Crawford, who's top a P4P boxer, but virtually unknown outside of hardcore boxing circles and his hometown of Omaha, just got $5 million for a non-PPV ESPN fight.

Sorry, but Dana is totally out of line here. I don't care how terrible of a human being Jones is. This is the umpteenth example of how he and other top level MMA fighters get jerked around by Dana and the UFC.

Using Conor as a benchmark for the supposed ceiling of UFC pay is also ridiculous. He's getting robbed too.

Why don't you put into perspective that on a boxing card the main event is the only fight that really impacts sales and that the pay discrepancy from main event to "co-main" (second to last fight really) is way bigger in boxing? The boxing model is quite a bit different and your stance is no less dumb than Dana's.

Last edited:
IDK...Deontay became a spectacle because of his ability to straight kill people

That "spectacle" hasn't amounted to more PPV sales than what Jones has produced throughout his career.

This is about numbers. Jones is a bigger draw.

Saw the title and thought for sure it was @Al Stone

My mistake, carry on with your ridiculous thread. If you don’t understand the difference in economics between the two sports. It is what it is.

In my opinion, if you are among the best you should get paid the best.

And who is better than Jones in the last like 10ish years?

No-one so he should get paid tens of millions per fight.

It's not a situation like the NFL where a mediocre QB like Dak Prescott will get paid $40+ million.

Two different sports bud

Messi's salary is 32mil USD while Steph Curry's salary is 40mil USD

But Messi obviously brings more eyes to his sport

They're both combat sports functioning on the exact same broadcast/distribution model.

The UFC and boxing promoters both have contracts with ESPN at the moment, and the boxers are literally getting paid ten times as much money to fight on the same platform.

The only difference between boxing and MMA is that the Ali Act doesn't apply to MMA, so the UFC can get away with only paying 15% of revenue to the fighters.

My mistake, carry on with your ridiculous thread. If you don’t understand the difference in economics between the two sports. It is what it is.
Wow friend I'm glad you know who I am and that I reside rent free in your head to make posts about me lol. I wish I could say the same. I lied. I don't

Jones has turned into a point fighter, has numerous run ins with law enforcement, has failed like 20 drug tests, and is not willing to go to HW. He doesn't deserve anything more than he's getting.

yeah, the TS isn't taking into account all of the horseshit Jones does that fucked up his career which coincides with fucking up UFC's money. when did Deontay ever have an entire event moved because he couldn't pass a drug test? when was the last time Deontay was arrested multiple times the way Jones has been. when was the last time Deontay has a steroid scandal that his promoter had to cover up?

the answers are never. Deontay is a fucking professional while Jon Jones acts like a spoiled entitled kid who doesn't realize how much the UFC has helped him already and is being quite fucking ignorant of those facts.

I'm not arguing who deserves what...

But Jon isn't drawing those numbers without the UFC logo.

What is it with Sherdog and not wanting to see fighters get paid what they're worth? You know why the UFC hides so much of what they pay their fighters? Because its near criminal and could be used against them for unionization. They take advantage of not having any competition, psuedo monopoly. And still a lot of top guys get paid more in the B leagues than the UFC is willing to pay.

Obviously you look at boxers who draw less numbers viewership and PPV wise yet get paid significantly more...it makes you wonder about the top end of our sport. When you have probably 1/3 to 1/2 of the UFC roster also working part or full time jobs because the cost of being a fighter + the cost of living largely exceeds what they make putting their lives on the line in the world's biggest stage for martial arts and hand to hand combat...The lower and middle end of the UFC is pretty depressing too.

This is arguably the biggest thing holding our sport back. And a root cause to a lot of issues.

What is it with Sherdog and not wanting to see fighters get paid what they're worth?

Yeah, I simply don't want Jon to make money. That's how I drew my conclusion.

Thanks for your insight and help.

Last edited:
Two different sports bud

Messi's salary is 32mil USD while Steph Curry's salary is 40mil USD

But Messi obviously brings more eyes to his sport
The NBA is the most popular sports league in China, so, maybe not

Let's forget that Jones is a scumbag and look at the numbers here.

Dana actually made himself look like an ass with this comparison.

Jones is a MUCH bigger draw historically than Wilder is.

View attachment 772541

These are actually amazing PPV numbers compared to most elite level boxers over the past decade not named Mayweather, Pacquiao or Canelo.

He's sold over 7 million PPV buys as a headliner. Wilder has only fought on PPV three times in his career. The dude wasn't any kind of draw before the Fury rivalry started.

For more perspective on Wilder:

Widler/Fury 1 did 325K buys.

Wilder/Ortiz 2 did 225K buys

https://www.badlefthook.com/2019/12...-luis-ortiz-2-does-roughly-225000-buys-on-ppv

Wilder Fury 2 did 750K buys.

The notion that Jones doesn't deserve more than $5 million per fight is farcical.

Wilder got paid $20 million to fight Breazeale on Showtime.

Terence Crawford, who's top a P4P boxer, but virtually unknown outside of hardcore boxing circles and his hometown of Omaha, just got $5 million for a non-PPV ESPN fight.

Sorry, but Dana is totally out of line here. I don't care how terrible of a human being Jones is. This is the umpteenth example of how he and other top level MMA fighters get jerked around by Dana and the UFC.

Using Conor as a benchmark for the supposed ceiling of UFC pay is also ridiculous. He's getting robbed too.

Ridiculous comparison. UFC is the only MMA promoter in history who has successfully promoted MMA fights in North America that generated over 150,000 PPV buys. You should know this as a '06 join date.

I can name a LOT of boxing promoters who have amazing track records. What is my point? Factually speaking the UFC plays a significant role in PPV buys and you are completely underestimating their ability to promote. I don't know what Jones 'deserves' but comparing his pay to a boxer is completely nonsensical.

Also can you please tell me what threads I have started that would give you the impression its mine? Or are you man crushing and just like my name. Hopefully in the most non homo way possible.... Though I doubt it

Back