Jordan Parsons diagnosed with CTE after only 5 years in MMA

johnmangala

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Jordan Parsons passed away a few years ago due to a drunk driver (RIP). I saw on a MMA on Point video that he was the first fighter to be diagnosed with CTE, also only after 5 year in the sport.

@4:25

Given this, how do you feel other who have spent more time in MMA compare?

They probably have CTE, too. Getting punched or kicked in the head on a regular basis isn't healthy.

Then again, making money by doing stuff that's not gonna benefit your general health is better than not making money so you can't eat.

what was his pre-fight life like? was he involved in any contact sports? hard to really form an opinion with limited information (not a knock on you, ts).
How was his trading is what I'd look at mostly. Some fighters have gym wars and get knocked out all the time or take massive head trauma daily. It's stupid but some still train that way.

Jordan Parsons passed away a few years ago due to a drunk driver (RIP). I saw on a MMA on Point video that he was the first fighter to be diagnosed with CTE, also only after 5 year in the sport.

Have we take into account any pee wee, high school, or college football growing up? How about wrestling or boxing, etc?

I think the biggest misconception in the CTE debate is that it happens/starts at the professional level. I'm in the crowd that it starts way, way earlier then that.

Take football for instance. The most injuries don't happen at the collegiate and pro level. It happens at the high school level where the athletic spectrum is at its greatest.

So to say this guy has CTE only after 5 years in the sport is kinda disingenuous. We don't have his background.

“I think you’d be surprised!”

giphy.gif

Do any fighters go into MMA thinking that getting repeatedly hit in the head is good for you?

The CTE thing is getting a little nuts. Like yeah, people who do things where their head gets rattled makes their brains look different than someone who has never even had a concussion. I'm sure the spectrum of slight-CTE to severe-CTE is fucking gigantic.

I bet if they started doing this on every athlete in every sport, 90% of them would be 'positive' for CTE.

Makes me wonder if we need to be cracking the skulls open for everyone who passes away, to see if there is any baseline level of CTE that gets accumulated just going through decades of existence in the world. Yes, so many more people are showing that they have CTE when we look for it. So let's look for it in everyone, and see to what degree that does or does not hold true.

We can't know how good, bad or indifferent it is for sports participants, in any sport, unless we have a true control group for a baseline. I mean, obviously, bad cases are going to be something outside the norm, but I can't really assess when they talk about people who showed lower level "signs" upon post-mortem brain examinations when they didn't necessarily show any symptoms in life.

Maybe that's why, even without Alzheimers, we see a certain level of cognitive deterioration eventually, on average.

I bet if they started doing this on every athlete in every sport, 90% of them would be 'positive' for CTE.

Doing what? Having them die young in car accidents so their brains can be examined?

I'm not sure why people are surprised at this. I have symptoms of CTE and I've only had five or six concussions confirmed throughout my life. A fighter can get 2-3 concussions in one fight.

I think a lot more people have symptoms than we know or admit.

I’m no expert or even slightly educated in this field...but wouldn’t dying in a fatal car accident possibly cause brain damage consistent with CTE?

I’m no expert or even slightly educated in this field...but wouldn’t dying in a fatal car accident possibly cause brain damage consistent with CTE?

Yes.

Also there’s no evidence CTE actually causes any symptoms. Just correlation.

Obligatory;

How many symptoms did friends and family say Parsons had?

Ali ended up a vegetable. Most these guys will too, except Overeem somehow.

Back